• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

did you ever make an incredible shot that surprised you!!!

Yesterday I had a bushy-tailed Garden thief in my strawberries facing me at 30 yards,I took aim with my rifle and put one right between his eyes !! He didn't even flinch at all, not a muscle !! I thought I missed but he was perfectly still. What a shot.. It was perfect dead center !!
I was shooting at my targets today when a field mouse poked his head up from underneath the pallet I had my target on.. At 40 yards I swung the cross hairs on his head and squeezed the trigger.. Entered his mouth and exited next to his tail !! WOW !!
Let's hear some of yours...

Finally remembered one. My older brother & I were out plinking about 20-some miles south of here with our 22's. He had a nice bolt action with Monte Carlo stock, I had an antique pop gave me as a present. A long-barreled semi-auto with factory peep sights & wood stock by Remington, built from 1935- to 1947. I lolled when I read on the receiver, " Smokeless greased LR only". Man, you could drill nails with that thing! So, anyway, we were sitting on top of this hill in the woods, looking down into the ravine around it. " See that branch layin' next to that tree down there?" " Ya mean that one?" Shooting the base of it & flipping it in the air @ 110yds. " Yeah" crack, " that one" shooting it in two after I'd flipped it in the air. It was so cool how we connected that time we both sat there laughing like a couple kids again! Good times...

I have not had much time to shoot lately, so with about 45 minutes of sunlight left I took off to get rid of some garbage and I threw the .22 Cricket in the bed of the truck. Ten minutes later I'm on the nursery, I just pull on take a right heading for the dumpsters. I'm looking down a long row and see two crows. I get out of the truck open the case, unscrew lense caps insert mag. The rangefinder is in the cab, I removed my faded blurred range charts (never put the new ones on) I guesstimate at 80 yards, I set the 6.5X20 Hawke Sidewinder on 10X "THINKING" the correct holdover is 2 full dots I place the mark on the neck, I dial the sidewheel till it looks good squeeze of and the bird drops sideways without a twitch or I'm guessing sound. The Crow in front by less than a foot does not spook, I'm guessing I severed the spine wanting a little more meat I dropped the mark to a heart shot on the second bird, while sighting and shooting the first bird let out it's only twitch. I hit the second crow he jumped strait up, flailed about then stopped before I unloaded the second pellet. I found the rangefinder and walked to the two birds, I ranged the truck and it was 99 yds. I screwed up on the range, and on the scope power/holdover. That was also the first time I saw a crow that stupid. Both were this years young and were smaller than fully mature birds. Driving down another row my intended target of Woodchucks, one ran out of dense grass stopped in an opening looked briefly my way then turned and stood erect at 25 yds. This was a mature male and they usually way more wary. It was just my day, I bought a powerball ticket in the gas station.

I was shooting at my lobster buoys out in the water from my grandparents yard anywhere between 50 to 200 yards with my cousin a couple years ago. I had a Jim shocky Benjamin gas piston in 22 shooting jsb 18s and a crow flew by at about 65 yards with out looking down the scope I did the "quick draw" took a lead on him and he crashed into the water stone dead. We both what the hell at the same time and started laughing. I haven't made a shot like that since then.

Two that I can remember, both with Benjamin 392s with iron sights. I must have been about 12 years old and was at our city lake shooting at turtles. One head popped up way beyond any distance I had ever shot. My first shot was way short so I reloaded and my second shot was a little closer. The turtle didn't submerge so I reloaded, held over a bunch and a half, and lobbed that 3rd pellet dead on and it didn't even make a splash, just a thud when it hit the target.

The second time was about 40 years later. I had a couple of squirrels that had chewed a hole in the eave of the house and were nesting in the attic. I took my new Benjamin out to shoot them but they scampered through the trees to the back of the yard. One squirrel disappeared but the other one went up a pine tree and hid on the back side of the tree. I waited for a while but the squirrel would not come back out. I finally got tired of waiting and decided to just shoot the tree to see if I could make the squirrel move. There was a limb near where the squirrel went into hiding and there was a knot on that limb so I decided to see if I could hit the knot, about a 50 or 60 foot shot. I hit the knot which turned out to be another squirrel that was hugging the limb and killed him with a perfect, though accidental, head shot.

EDIT: I did some research and found my memory has gotten a little faulty in my old age. My first Benjamin was likely a 312. I am not sure but since it was bought in 1957 it couldn't have been a 392. This past weekend I got my present Benjamin out of the closet and it is a 342. I still made the shots but not with the rifles I thought I had used.

I was at a family reunion several years back. All the guys bring their shotguns because we go squirrel hunting in the afternoon. I brought my Smith and Wesson model 41 target .22lr pistol. It was a wash.....nobody got nothing. We were standing at the truck drinking a beer and we saw a squirrel about 90 yards out in the top of a pine tree. Figures.....since we were done hunting. I unholstered my .22......took aim.....and dropped him with one shot. Holstered my .22.....picked up my beer and carried on with the conversation like nothing happened. I knew it was a lucky shot in the back of my mind. Every family reunion.......that shot gets talked about.

Funny stories there folks hehe! In my youth i had a Diana 52 i think it was, heavy but very accurate, i was at a friends summer house at the countryside and we where shooting cans and paper targets, all of a sudden a swallow landed on a phoneline maybe 40-50 meters away, and I say to my friend watch this and took a shot at it, from the hip! Totaly cowboy style, smacked it right in the head and decapitated it, now, we where by no means any hunters and i hade no meaning what so ever to hit birds with my gun, so we just freezed for a minute staring at the poor bird and didn't shoot anymoore that week...