⁍⁍ Did someone say: "We need BETTER PROJECTILES" ??

We really need to be getting away from BC's and use purpose drag laws more if we want to see how to improve things. We need detailed drag breakdowns of all of the separate parts of the projectile, otherwise we may spend all our time trying to reduce the drag of something which is relatively unimportant. For example, we may concentrate on the nose of a pellet but, unless we are shooting at 1000 ft/sec or above, a round nose contributes very little to the overall pellet drag. Base drag is a much bigger component.
I think you have some good points here.
The base drag seems to be a lot bigger force than we understand.
The nose profile does have some interesting properties though.
Here's a photo of two groups @ 173 yards. Same POA and same slug base.
Only difference was the shape of the nose profile. Same weight for an apple to apple comparison.
The upper slug needs to be shorter (46.1 gr.) for acceptable accuracy though.
173SlugGroups.jpg

Can you settle for a BC of 0.18 and 56fpe?

0.180BC and 56FPE — yeah, that sounds reasonable deadly....! 😆

NICE! 👍🏼

Matthias

I'm not sure I would require Altaros slugs to be "lead free" (that's a whole different thread on environmentalism 😉).

But I sure would like to see Altaros (or any other manufacturer) to offer something with a dream BC of 0.2 ➔ but a bit lighter than the ATP 49.5gr (.25) slugs.

Because I like compact guns — which makes it hard to get heavy projectiles up to speed.
(But then again, that's just me and my compact obsession. I will probably get at least one comment from you guys telling me to get a life and get a dedicated slug gun with a proper 700mm barrel. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And you're probably right. 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Matthias
I feel your sentiment, but only to a point. Compact guns can definitely put out some power if you design them in such a way. Huben k1, although not exactly compact side, still a bullpup, able to put out over 90fpe in .25 and keeping a somewhat compactish design. The GK1 being able to do nearly the same as a pistol. I have a leshiy classic in .25 with a 350mm barrel that I have been able to tune by just adjusting the regulator to put out 54ish fpe or shooting a 34gr jsb pellet at about 856fps for about 9 shots. It definitely can be done.

Reactions: JungleShooter