• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Did paint guns derive from PCP Airguns?

I know this must be a stupid question but I've known about Paint Guns for a long long time but only found out about PCP pellet toy guns about 4 years ago. 

Whoever invented Paint guns must be very comfortably financially sound right now. And no, I've never shot a Paint gun and never had a desire to. Could be fun though. 

I know this must be a stupid question but I've known about Paint Guns for a long long time but only found out about PCP pellet toy guns about 4 years ago. 

Whoever invented Paint guns must be very comfortably financially sound right now. And no, I've never shot a Paint gun and never had a desire to. Could be fun though.

Shhhh! We do not mention the name "paint gun" ... We do not want to release the evil therein. They are "paint markers".

Nothing more fun than a day on the paint ball field sneeking up on the unsuspecting.

Pcp airguns were a progression from trank guns from what I understand.

No that’s not true. Like JimNM said above, PCP airguns have been around for hundreds of years. Lewis and Clark carried one across the country. The Crosman discovery air rifle was actually named in honor of the Lewis and Clark expedition if I recall correctly. 

Girandoni-Air-Rifle-reduced.1635642508.jpg

Early markers were used to mark trees for harvesting, and i heard, to mark steers for harvest too. But the some early ones made for the combat game were spin-offs from cut-down co2 powered trank guns as made by Benjamin. They were fundamentally more technically advanced in that they needed a lowered pressure but longer shove, more like the high-low pressure grenade used in M79 launcher.

Pcp airguns were a progression from trank guns from what I understand.

No that’s not true. Like JimNM said above, PCP airguns have been around for hundreds of years. Lewis and Clark carried one across the country. The Crosman discovery air rifle was actually named in honor of the Lewis and Clark expedition if I recall correctly.

You're right, I forget about that rifle. What I was thinking is the day state PCP was dirived from their trank guns.

Nelson made TREE markers for years that really predate the game of paint ball. These were an evolution of Benjamin Pump up or Co2 powered air rifles / pistols.

Sheridan even got into the fold with a PGP Co2 pistol.

Thinking PALMERS was one of the first converting Pellet guns to paintball markers as the "Sport" of balling was in its infancy.

As I understand it, the first paintball markers, made by Nelspot, (model 707 etc.) used a fairly permanent paint, and were used to mark CATTLE. (much easier to shoot a paintball at a cow from horseback vs. branding.)

The sport of "paintball" came about from ranch hands who inevitably began shooting each-other. :) It snowballed from there.

I can see early markers for marking trees but, I betcha they don't go back into the 1800 and follow Leis and clark.could you imagine an attaching Re---n when he seen some guy keel over with a green ozz on his forhead, and no noise. Man , I'm outta here.

As I wrote, paintguns were derived from co2 powered trank guns, NOT pcp guns. The switch to pcp for paintguns is fairly recent.

I’m pretty well versed on the development of paintball guns.

As to the Lewis and Clark expedition, airguns had been developed several centuries before those guys ever saw one.

While PCP guns did not derive from paintball guns, they do owe a lot of innovation to some pioneers in the paintball industry. Dennis Tippman with his open patent on the pin valves and Tom Kaye doing a lot of work in helping to develop the carbon fiber tanks for the paintball industry had direct ties to what you see on most of the tank style PCP guns now. Both of those guys are worth a read on things they have done.