• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Did I mention making seals sux….

A.G.R

Jul 27, 2022
Usa
I needed two new seals for my 27 mm guns and of course , NOBODY makes them .. Actually only Venom /V-Mach ever made power pulse cup seals for the 27 mm Tommy/Longbow platform..
Making seals is a high failure rate at doing it by manual lathe.. mad 😠 I used two different durometer materials for two different powered guns.
Also the thickness fork the stroke is different.. I will be making two more this week for both Longbows that are ready for refresh.

BCA6083F-4336-415E-B02A-AB7FB7F81396.jpeg

9BEF9BC2-FF3F-4641-B999-7199A5195F79.jpeg

Outstanding looking effort!
Please be sure, if you are inclined, to share the entire process of working on a genuine Brummie. It would be invaluable info for those who have never been inside one.

Thanks for keeping the craft alive, and for keeping an iconic air rifle in top form.
It’s a dying breed of us break barrel guys. Let alone parts makers. Average age is probably above 45 to 50 plus.

The PCP MARKET HAS TAKEN OVER, easy to shoot and low learning curve..

That is a good thought even though I know nothing about 3D printing...if not perfect they could be sanded to finish dimensions....far less material to remove !!
if they could be to finished spec then it would possibly be advantageous. If you have to size and finish after printing it seems moot as it’s exactly what your doing manually. I know most manufactures cast theirs.. They buy thousands,so it’s affordable..

Been there done that got the T shirt.. THERE IS NO MONEY 💰 IN AIR RIFLES.. You can’t charge enough hourly time to do custom work.. kit droppers who put a spring kit in and lube the joints are not gunsmiths.
was meant jokingly I.E. spare time but you are correct , no money in it .

I
I have a lathe, but it's so easy to remove too much material even with sandpaper. There's a fine line between too tight & too loose.
That's why in my tunes I have simply used OEM Weihrauch piston seals or Australian (Green/Red) seals (which need very minor sanding on the lathe).
I use Vortek Vac seals when using 30 mm seals .. or if I had to use a 26 or 25 mm. No one makes a 27 mm cup seal anymore.. so I make them.. good seal material is key.. sizing a cast factory seal is not easy.. again knowledge is key … your better off taking the face material off a HW TYPE SEAL. THE LIP IS TO THIN. Diana seals are soft durometer and need freezing and fresh paper and a steel flat .. Regalite 180 is the best paper. I do not like the Aussie seals for the 27 mm . parachute and deep head space create lost volume.