Did I make a big mistake? I bought a Yong Heng compressor from China!!

Dear Ugly,

I've read walmart ( compressor) horror stories, no idea if it's real as I have only ordered sold by walmart products shipped to a store.

Now on the 5 day delivery from China ( sound WRONG eh ?) 
THAT is real!
And, it costs THEM almost nothing.

The U.S. has a special deal with China whereby they can ship to the US for less money then you can mail inside your own State, fast too.

Order one and let us know. Personally I am waiting to see if Centercut can melt His unit down or not and enjoying our Altros Booster untill then.

John

I ordered one and it is en route. $179 from Walmart with free shipping. Can anyone who has one tell me if the inlet port is threaded 1/4" npt? I watched an unboxing and disassembly video by Joerg on Youtube and thought I saw that, but he never shows a clear shot of the inlet port.

Asking about the inlet port because I purchased a Campbell-Hausfield air cleaner/dryer system with the money saved and want to put it on the inlet (about $75 on amazon). Thinking it's dead simple to dessicate the inlet side, so why not. Actually I'm wondering if there is a reason no one is doing that. I ordered one of those big gold tubes on aliexpress for the high pressure side filtering - but I really think it makes more sense to remove the water before compression and use the post-filter for oil separation. Then again, I'm new to all of this (just bought my first PCP over Black Friday weekend) so maybe I'm way off base.

-david

@prfsrlee, I'm thinking the same thing.

Keeping the intake air dry won't keep the pressure side real dry, but it should reduce the moisture some. Keeping the room air dry will also help a bit, every little bit helps. But,,, I suspect we will still have to manually bleed a few drops of water from every small tank we fill. I guess a bigger, more elaborate intake filter would help a bit more, but they should be a lot cheaper than the pressure side filters.

Really the issue is the moisture in the air....this is something that happens to all air compressors not just the ones we use for air guns. It really does not matter if you are using it for an air brush that uses very little pressure usually under 30lbs...I generally paint at 15, but depending on your paint it can be pretty low, to air tools that run around 90lbs. Water in the paint is VERY bad.

When you compress the air you in a nut shell squeeze the water out of the air....a filter on the intake is not going to do it for you.....you need to filter the air as it leaves the high pressure side. This is why on most "shop" type compressors they have a drain in the tank....the tank has pressure, and it is the lowest place....tanks are also the thing that rusts out first.

Now they do make mufflers for the intake side as this is where most the noise comes from on large compressors....but as to a water filter, nope.

"bobad"@jt, that's more like it!

Does the Foster fittings fit a wide variety of brands, or is it not quite a good fit like this one: 
(jump to 10:40)

Thanks!
The QD fittings on these things are indeed slightly different and will fit some but not all 8mm Foster type connectors. They can be swapped out for normal ones but you will need to cut a 10x1mm thread over your 1/8 bsp or npt studs. Probably safer to find something that fits and use it as an adaptor.

Most of my foster fitting worked well with this connector. The only problems I have encountered was the Chinese male fitting and the female fitting from a Joe Brancato hose. there was not enough clearance on the back side of the male fitting to allow the outer ring to snap into place. Another issue I notice is for some reason my BSA fill adapter will shave a edge off of the oring on the Joe Brancato hose but the cheap stuff from Aliexpress works just fine.

I used an adapter from here to convert the m10x1 to 1/8 npt for a readily available gauge:

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9235_Metric_x_NPTF_Female_p/9235.htm

Hello All,
I would appreciate your collective expertise. I bought a Yong Heng from Aliexpress. It leaked air from day one. I was able to tighten, replace and generally repair the air leaks in the hose and fittings, but now after all the air leaks corrected, It consistently trips my GFCI breaker after about 10 seconds. (Not the actual breaker, just the GFCI). I have replaced the GFCI so I don't think that's still the problem. Also it's a 20 amp breaker and GFCI without other load on the circuit. I filled it with Royal Purple compressor oil, sufficient water and cooling, just will not run past the initial build up of pressure and will not fill anything. 

I contacted the seller, who blamed every leak on me, even with video proof. I escalated to Aliexpress buyer protection and they offered a partial refund or return it but the shipping would cost me me more than the partial refund. It's been a terrible experience for me but trying to salvage any value from this pump but it needs to work.

Any advice on what to check or am I the proud new owner of a blue paper weight? I read MoeHofer had an issue with a contactor - do you have any specs on the one you replaced, perhaps I have a bad one.

Thanks.
-John

"mkbjdb"Hello All,
I would appreciate your collective expertise. I bought a Yong Heng from Aliexpress. It leaked air from day one. I was able to tighten, replace and generally repair the air leaks in the hose and fittings, but now after all the air leaks corrected, It consistently trips my GFCI breaker after about 10 seconds. (Not the actual breaker, just the GFCI). I have replaced the GFCI so I don't think that's still the problem. Also it's a 20 amp breaker and GFCI without other load on the circuit. I filled it with Royal Purple compressor oil, sufficient water and cooling, just will not run past the initial build up of pressure and will not fill anything. 
I contacted the seller, who blamed every leak on me, even with video proof. I escalated to Aliexpress buyer protection and they offered a partial refund or return it but the shipping would cost me me more than the partial refund. It's been a terrible experience for me but trying to salvage any value from this pump but it needs to work.
Any advice on what to check or am I the proud new owner of a blue paper weight? I read MoeHofer had an issue with a contactor - do you have any specs on the one you replaced, perhaps I have a bad one.
Thanks.
-John
Here's a link to the relay used in the Yong Heng compressor. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/yongheng-air-pump-Accessories/32834008091.html

I know that a guy had to replace this once the original one let the smoke out. It might be worth a try to buy it, swap yours out, and see if it fixes the problem. Don't even bother trying to look up the part number on that relay though, because there's no data sheet online to be found. I was personally hoping to get the specs on that relay so I could source another one from a different manufacture if it ever came to that.

Could you share which AliExpress seller you purchased your compressor from? I'd like to try and avoid buying from them based on the way they gave you the run-around.

"mkbjdb"Hello All,
Thanks.
-John
mine came with an auto shutoff at 4500 psi. I kept burning fuses in the auto shutoff. I finally got sick of it and cut everything out and completely rewired it! Now its on to pump and off to stop. No safety. It has worked flawlessly ever since. I would never recommend this compressor if you don't have at least a minimum experience in trouble shooting and fixing your own stuff. But then again the moment you buy a pcp you ought to be a handyman of at least minimum grade. 

i bought one of those yong heng compressors also. the one i bought was the 110 volt with auto cutoff. so i opened the box took out the compressor, followed the instructions I found on you tube. And it didn't come on. i doubled checked everything tried again and nothing. I tried to contact the seller and no luck there. I have sent several e-mails but no reply. so i took the compressor to an electric motor repair place, they looked it over and determined that the motor was ok. so something in the compressor must be stopping the motor. I knew what i was getting into when I bought it, in other words, i knew there was a good chance it might not work , even though I have read a lot of good reviews on the internet about these compressors. i know I am not going to send it back so next week maybe I will take it apart and see what I can find. also the water pump that came with it doesn't work. So maybe I just got unlucky with this thing and got a bad one. For the price I don't feel to bad about it, and who knows maybe I will hear from aliexpress about this thing. I'm pretty handy with a wrench maybe I can get it to work. but if not I guess i will start saving up again for one of those more expensive models. I hope you have better luck with yours then I had with mine.

"geelee"i bought one of those yong heng compressors also. the one i bought was the 110 volt with auto cutoff. so i opened the box took out the compressor, followed the instructions I found on you tube. And it didn't come on. i doubled checked everything tried again and nothing. I tried to contact the seller and no luck there. I have sent several e-mails but no reply. so i took the compressor to an electric motor repair place, they looked it over and determined that the motor was ok. so something in the compressor must be stopping the motor. I knew what i was getting into when I bought it, in other words, i knew there was a good chance it might not work , even though I have read a lot of good reviews on the internet about these compressors. i know I am not going to send it back so next week maybe I will take it apart and see what I can find. also the water pump that came with it doesn't work. So maybe I just got unlucky with this thing and got a bad one. For the price I don't feel to bad about it, and who knows maybe I will hear from aliexpress about this thing. I'm pretty handy with a wrench maybe I can get it to work. but if not I guess i will start saving up again for one of those more expensive models. I hope you have better luck with yours then I had with mine.
open the front cover...see if the crank will turn, take a pic of the innerds post it up...not much to lock it up....I bet it is something easy....where are you... perhaps one of us is near.

Who did you buy from....guy i bought from is almost a pest..he will not leave me alone...now. He wants Skype info...that's ok...I have your number

Hesitation on start up and guage that skyrockets? The hesitation seemed to self correct after a couple of on/off tries. The guage issue is troublesome because my Marauder is regulated and the guage on my gun reads regulated pressure only. Therefore I must rely on the output guage on pump to prevent overfill (110v, no auto cutoff). However the Yong Heng guage jumps to 1000 psi with nothing connected. And when connected to mauauder it reads 5000 or more. It is clearly filling the gun. Checking with hand pump I blindly brought the Marauder to about 3250 psi in about 30 seconds of run time past regulated pressure of 2100. I see in this thread an individual who says he must bleed a bit if airwhile filling a cricket. This all seems wrong. Either the guage is bad, or there is a huge buildup of pressure inside the Yong Heng guage/bleed block because perhaps the micobore is constricted in some way? A constricted output does not seem plausable. Ideas please?

If there is hesitation on startup, there is usually already pressure in the system. You can't open your gun/bottle/whatever and have that pressure hit the compressor....it will not start. you need to have no pressure into the compressor before starting it.

This would be a good test for the other poster.....see if it will power up and make air with nothing on the output....the compressor will basically free wheel.

Keep us updated.