Did I damage my first air rifle?

Hello everyone just want to thank everyone here at this community for supporting a place where I can learn.

I am brand new to air guns although I have been shooting firearms the better part of my adult life.

I recently purchased a .22 Gamo Swarm Maxxim as my introductory rifle. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize until after firing the 200 pallets that I purchased for it, that those pallets stayed on the container “ For Use with PCP Rifles only”

So my question : Is it likely that these pellets caused any damage to the bore, the breech, the magazine, or any other components of my rifle

1579624368_13945742765e2727b0d30f01.11777310_3F99627A-85A9-4C79-8DB6-94604E46C1BB.jpeg

Don’t worry about it for the little bit that you’ve done so far but it would be good idea to discontinue further use. The reason it says that is because they are so lightweight that they may cause accelerated fatigue to the spring and may stress the piston seal. In a springer, that is true both for pellets that are too light and those that are too heavy. Rarely if ever will a springer deliver its best accuracy in either of these scenarios so there’s not much reason to do so anyway.

Nevermind on the spring part…I see now it is a gas piston type. Still may not be the best thing for the piston seal but if somehow they group great, I may be tempted to keep going. To an extent, the seal is a wear item. Granted, seals should last a long time but they can and do fail eventually, and to deprive yourself the enjoyment of its use because it may or may not last “forever” just runs counter to the whole point of this hobby.

[edit] but since they don’t group... :)

Nevermind on the spring part…I see now it is a gas piston type. Still may not be the best thing for the piston seal but if somehow they group great, I may be tempted to keep going. To an extent, the seal is a wear item. Granted, seals should last a long time but they can and do fail eventually, and to deprive yourself the enjoyment of its use because it may or may not last “forever” just runs counter to the whole point of this hobby.

Thank you so much for your input. The grouping with those pellets was absolutely terrible, So no love lost there.

I’ve ordered for different types of much heavier pellets in the 12 to 16 grain range. Hopefully one of these will give me some decent grouping because at the moment I’m a bit concerned about the accuracy of the rifle itself

Yes its applicable to gas pistons because the gun recoils before the pellet moves- its still a springer.

For springers, this is what we call Hold Sensitivity. That is a gun is sensitive to how its held while being shot. Its takes a lot of practice and experimentation with each gun to learn how it likes to be held. But that stuff jdanvers linked to above will be useful. Read it all and watch it all. It takes awhile for the info to sink in- at least it did for me.

I've been shooting springers for about 2 years now and I'm only now finally getting a handle on it. Keep shooting!

The reason so many use the artillery hold is it is easier to duplicate. A tight grip would probably work as well IF you can duplicate the hold each time. If you are new to gas piston air rifles I would recommend you get a few tins of Crosman Premier HP 14.3 grain pellets since they are cheaper than most. Use these to get the feel of the trigger and a comfortable hold. Also I have found long shooting sessions are not as productive as several short ones. My Gamo loves the JSB Diablo 14.35 and yours may too but they cost more than the Crosman so the Crosman will be cost effective for break in. I tried H and N FTT and they grouped well but the lead is harder than JSB and fouled the barrel quickly. I found it is good to keep targets and make notes on them. Your journey will be a challenging one but can be rewarding as well. My PCP is so accurate it is boring but I shoot my break barrel about ten pellets to one from the PCP. I will tell you that I wish I had kept count of the number of times I thought my scope lost zero or something went south on my gun when it was either my hold or the way I pulled the trigger. Good luck and welcome to the challenging world of gas piston shooting.

The reason so many use the artillery hold is it is easier to duplicate. A tight grip would probably work as well IF you can duplicate the hold each time. If you are new to gas piston air rifles I would recommend you get a few tins of Crosman Premier HP 14.3 grain pellets since they are cheaper than most. Use these to get the feel of the trigger and a comfortable hold. Also I have found long shooting sessions are not as productive as several short ones. My Gamo loves the JSB Diablo 14.35 and yours may too but they cost more than the Crosman so the Crosman will be cost effective for break in. I tried H and N FTT and they grouped well but the lead is harder than JSB and fouled the barrel quickly. I found it is good to keep targets and make notes on them. Your journey will be a challenging one but can be rewarding as well. My PCP is so accurate it is boring but I shoot my break barrel about ten pellets to one from the PCP. I will tell you that I wish I had kept count of the number of times I thought my scope lost zero or something went south on my gun when it was either my hold or the way I pulled the trigger. Good luck and welcome to the challenging world of gas piston shooting.

Not to hijack the post but do you think these are too heavy for a Benjamin Trail, thanks, JSB Match Diabolo Exact Jumbo Heavy .22 Cal 18.13 Gr 250 Ct (3 tins 750 total)?

Deerstalker I have a Benjamin Trail and I shoot the H&N FTT 14.65 grain. It has a less powerful ram in it and produces about 700 to 710 fps. I have found that the heavier pellets in my Trail produced a more noticeable arch and it was more difficult to maintain accuracy at greater distances. The FTT’s shoot at a much flatter trajectory. This has been my experience with my rifle and others will probably differ from mine.

Gary

To give a little background on the topic of pellet weight as it pertains to spring- or gas-piston rifles, the most credible explanation for why too-light or too-heavy pellets are more stressful is made in the Cardews' book "The Airgun: From Trigger to Target".

The progression is something like this:

1. A "too light" pellet starts moving too early which leaves an insufficient air cushion in front of the piston to help decelerate it, thus it slams into the end of the compression tube. This abrupt impact is stressful to both the seal and the spring.

2. A "just right" pellet allows the piston to come to a well-behaved stop at the end of the compression tube.

3. A "too heavy" pellet stays in place too long and the pressure builds much higher, causing the piston to bounce back off the cushion of air in front of it, forcing the front portion of the spring backward while the momentum of the back portion of the spring is still propelling it forward. That can cause coils somewhere in the middle to collide with each other. Meanwhile the elevated pressure simultaneously creates a greater temperature spike which promotes detonation of any trace hydrocarbons in the compression chamber, forcing an even more violent reversal of the spring and potentially cooking the seal.

I don't claim to know if the above is 100% complete and accurate but there does appear to be a more violent recoil when using super light or super heavy pellets in most springers I've shot. And it stands to reason that given the relatively long dwell time a pellet spends in the barrel, that these "extra vibrations" are not good for accuracy.

The optimum weight for a given rifle will depend on its powerplant. Reading a bit on Pyramyd Air this evening on your model rifle, a reviewer said they were getting 690fps with 15.9gr JSBs. That works out to just shy of 17fpe, and suggests to me your rifle will probably be happy with pellets no heavier than that, and perhaps those closer to 14gr will hold more potential (e.g. JSB Jumbo RS 13.4gr, JSB Jumbo Express 14.3gr, H&N Field Target Trophy 14.6gr).

However if you want to work it out experimentally and get a sense of the optimal weight range for yours, what you can do is chronograph several pellets that span a range of weights. For example in .22cal, that may be 13gr up to 18gr. What you'll typically find is that very light and very heavy pellets produce less energy (FPE) than those in the middle. And what people often find is that their magic pellet is one that is at or very near the max energy. Logically it is also an indication of where the power plant is working most efficiently, and less prone to piston bounce and vibration. More of the spring's stored energy is going into propelling the pellet.

While we are on the topic of pellets.

I am wondering if I should be washing my pellets?

I know I do not need to lubricate them, due to the gas piston type rifle I have, apparently it sprays a bit of oil into the the barrel when fired? Thus keeping it lubricated.

However, everywhere I read still claims that you should wash your pellets. Yet, wouldn't that remove any finish/lubricant that was put on the pellets at manufacture?

I just got 5 more tins of varying pellets that I'm going to be testing to see what my rifle likes, but I wanted to sort out whether or not I should wash them all first?

@Nervoustrig: Interesting points above, unfortunately I don't have a chronograph, so I will have to determine the "best" by grouping only.

These are the pellets i will be testing:

H&N Baracuda Match 21.14 gr Domed

H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme 18.52 gr Hollowpoint

JSB Exact Jumbo Diabolo 15.89 gr Domed

Crosman Premier 14.3 gr Hollowpoint