Diana Stormrider .22 Video Review by AEAC

Greetings all.

Buy from PyramidAir so you can return it easily!

I too was seduced by this less expensive CHINESE air rifle. The Stormrider, AirMax Varmint, SP900k, whatever name it wears (a rose by any other name is still a rose). I have a use for a .177 air rifle. However I don't care to spend lots of money on the higher end guns. The Marauder is a crapshoot in the accuracy department and I refuse to engage in such frustration. So I bought one of these in .177 not expecting much...and I didn't get much.
These guns are LOUD! That thing on the muzzle is a joke; it does nothing. Steve has a big backyard and deaf neighbors. ;) Notice that Steve did not show you the internals of the "moderator". Yes, I removed mine to see what was in there. Upon doing so I took the opportunity to inspect the bore. The rifling is buggered about 1/4" in from the crown. I believe that this damage is caused by the tool used to crown the barrel. The little gun shoots better than it should considering the damaged rifling.

My bolt began to bind. It turns out that there is an allen head screw under the bolt that can adjust the amount of drag on the bolt. I also noticed that the transfer port was misaligned by about 20%. Hmm. This gun has been nothing but a frustration and sits in the corner. I regret buying this piece of junk.

Maybe someday a kid will learn the basics and shoot cans with it. It is a good size and weight for a smaller shooter, or a guy who prefers a carbine.

Steve, I enjoy your videos. The camera likes you, and you put considerable time into them. I do notice that you give such glowing reviews about every gun. I can't help but thinking that you are misleading people sometimes. Your statement that "this gun comes to us from Germany" shouldn't even be uttered. No, I don't care that you flashed a Chinese flag.

R, Steve in L.A.

Yes...pretty funny....this comes to us from Germany.....wrong.

This is pretty funny and sad at the same time, so quick to point out the umerex was from china.....but this you call German.....man your bias is pretty clear to see.

I so agree with Steve to a point....he does not give glowing reviews of every gun, look at his gauntlet review. Pretty soon he will be back in F-class area and don't worry everything there will be just so grand.

I don't see the point of a reviewer being nasty. If you pay attention to what he's saying, you'll be able to make a informed decision.

For example, I was pondering the Gauntlet for my daughter but after watching that reveiw I postponed the decision, same with the Stormrider.

Remember, we are dealing with rather inexpensive guns here and looking through that prism hes giving you the info you need without being an ****** about it.

Quite honestly, if it had been me reviewing either the Gauntlet or the Stormrider immediately after the Crown, arguably the best airgun ever made, I would have been totally depressed, and quite nasty.

It reflects well on Steve that he was able to actually highlight some of a guns downside without being a jerk about it.

MOD EDIT: please refrain from using profanity.

Perky,
Do you own a Stormrider? Have you used your friend's Stormrider? My comments are based on the Stormrider, AirMax Varmint, that I own. Stating the truth about a gun's problems and design flaws is not being nasty. You, Perky, are the first guy I have seen using profanity. Hmmm. Depressed and nasty? I guess that's how a kid would feel after trying to be accurate with an inaccurate and difficult gun that her grandfather put in her hands. Give kids guns that they can be successful with.

Maybe another accurate statement about this gun is that it needs work out of the box. It's a good gun for a guy who likes tinker. The Stormrider is a great weight and length. I expect that after I cut off the end of the barrel, to remove that damage to the rifling, and cut a new crown, it may shoot better. It also needs a, EPA friendly lead dust collector ;)

R, Steve

"steveinla"Perky,
Do you own a Stormrider? Have you used your friend's Stormrider? My comments are based on the Stormrider, AirMax Varmint, that I own. Stating the truth about a gun's problems and design flaws is not being nasty. You, Perky, are the first guy I have seen using profanity. Hmmm. Depressed and nasty? I guess that's how a kid would feel after trying to be accurate with an inaccurate and difficult gun that her grandfather put in her hands. Give kids guns that they can be successful with.
Maybe another accurate statement about this gun is that it needs work out of the box. It's a good gun for a guy who likes tinker. The Stormrider is a great weight and length. I expect that after I cut off the end of the barrel, to remove that damage to the rifling, and cut a new crown, it may shoot better. It also needs a, EPA friendly lead dust collector ;)
R, Steve
The points I was attempting to make were that it is not helpful for a reviewer to be totally negative about a $200 rifle. 

No, I do not own a Stormrider or any of its aliases. However, I have owned way too many less expensive airguns, some better than others.

I agree that putting a difficult rifle in a child's hands may well be frustrating, and it's not something I would want to do.

The AEAC reveiw was quite good. I was able to determine that the Stormrider was indeed a difficult gun, and not one I would purchase. However, it may be just fine for those that want to tinker. 
Steve made that clear without insulting the manufacturer or the people supplying the gun for review, ensuring he'll be more likely to get more in the future.
Ultimately, that was the whole point of my post. *fail*

Lastly, I'm not a "guy", and your definition of profanity really stretches the meaning of the word. Having said that, I apologize if I offended you. 

Oh Val,
I'm sorry. I should have know you were a lady. It's just these days people are calling themselves so many different...names. Anyway, sorry about that chief.

Let's see. Positive things to say about the Stormrider.... my .177 likes EunJin heavies 14gr? (it's been a while). My .177 seems to be tuned for these heavy pellets which is just the opposite of what I bought it for. It also liked the Gamo Red Fire pellets from Walmart. The trigger is acceptable to me. The magazines and single shot tray have magnets in them that pull into their proper location in the breech, like a Daystate; that's handy. I really like the magnet in the magazine as it sticks to a tin of pellets and doesn't get lost so easily. It is relatively short and light. It's a trim little gun.

What I need to do, and I'm dragging my feet on this one, is to pull the barrel, cut off the bad spot and finish the muzzle. Then I need to start all over again shooting the different pellets. It may turn into a good shooter.

I bought my 12 year old a Remington 1100 20 gauge youth model shotgun for Christmas. I got an OK deal on this used gun. It has a 12 1/2" length of pull and a 21" barrel. He caught on quickly and there was that big smile of success! My older son came home for Christmas and the two of them had a great time busting clays together. (Such a pleasure to observe.) My older son is an army medic stationed in Kentucky. It was great to have him home for a few days.

I have some nice airguns but they are in .22 and .25. I really like my .22 caliber AirArms S410 and S510 carbine. 

Yes, Steve Shalley's reviews are top drawer. I may have mentioned that to him on one occasion, or another.

R, Steve

Great job on the review. I highly enjoy opening my subscribed channels list and see another one of your videos. Quick question, around 4:45 in the video you showed a closeup of the fill probe and there were little indentations around the part that hooks into your quick connect, are those from the high pressure pushing against the little ball bearings? Would that indicate a potential for failure of the brass, causing the fill hose to fly off? Thanks again for your efforts to educate us all with your talents. 

I guess what what really bothers me about my .177 AirMax Varmint, StormRider, PR900k, etc., is that it doesn't shoot the lighter 7.9gr pellet very well. So, if I have to use the heavier .177 pellets to get the accuracy, then I may as well shoot my .22 cal S510 Carbine...which is a pleasure to shoot...and to look at with its walnut and rosewood stock.

There have been several AEAC reviews that have made me want to go spend entirely too much money on such guns as the Rapid Air Weapons line; yes, more than one. The Crown is a tempting gun also. That little voice whispers in my ear, "...use the kids college money. it's good for them work for their tuition!"

The camera likes you and Kate and we enjoy your reviews. You must spend lots of time editing.

Does anyone else own one of these? What are you experiences?

R, Steve

"steveinla"I guess what what really bothers me about my .177 AirMax Varmint, StormRider, PR900k, etc., is that it doesn't shoot the lighter 7.9gr pellet very well. So, if I have to use the heavier .177 pellets to get the accuracy, then I may as well shoot my .22 cal S510 Carbine...which is a pleasure to shoot...and to look at with its walnut and rosewood stock.
There have been several AEAC reviews that have made me want to go spend entirely too much money on such guns as the Rapid Air Weapons line; yes, more than one. The Crown is a tempting gun also. That little voice whispers in my ear, "...use the kids college money. it's good for them work for their tuition!"
The camera likes you and Kate and we enjoy your reviews. You must spend lots of time editing.
Does anyone else own one of these? What are you experiences?
R, Steve

Each vid is normally a full day learning & prepping the gun, two half days filming, and 25-30 hours in the chair editing. Love it!

Steve