Diana Diana Sidelevers - Correcting Canted Front Sight?

Hey all,

I got my replacement Diana 48 in the mail yesterday, and have to say that I’m not exactly stoked.

The rifle has some glaring fit and finish issues. To include: obviously canted front sight post (wtf), chipped finish at the butt of the stock (same as original gun), and marks on the bluing (again WTF).

I checked the serial number and its manufacture date. The replacement was made the same month and a whopping 19 guns before the first rifle. Great… So both of these must’ve been made at 4pm on a Friday.

I was willing to fix the fit and finish issues on the first rifle, because I naively assumed it wouldn’t try to eat my fingers. But I’m really not sure I can be bothered with this one. Especially the canted front sight.

That said, how does the barrel mount in these guns? Is it threaded and timed for the receiver or is it held in with just a set screw?

I’m thinking I will probably just sell this one on the second hand market and pick up a HW77.

Thanks all for reading the update.

Sorry to hear that. Surprising, as all my Diana stuff, even the made in China models have great fit and finish. You must have the Friday afternoon version. The D48 barrel is a sleeved setup. If you loosen the setscrew on the top of the front sight base the base will rotate and/or slide off. No need to actually rotate the barrel. Be careful because once the base is removed the outer barrel sleeve will slide right off as well. Don't grab the gun by the barrel sleeve (and don't ask how I know this). :oops:

It's been awhile since I had the front sight base off of mine, so I don't remember if the setscrew has a corresponding indentation in the barrel to index it at the proper orientation, but if you loosen the screw the base can be rotated and/or removed. If it has an indentation you should be able to enlarge the hole a small amount to allow you to rotate the base enough and re-tighten the screw so the front sight is at TDC. If there is no indentation, just loosen the screw, rotate the base to the desired spot, and tighten it back up.

ETA: See my correction below.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveV
Well it's sleaved but it is in a dovetail unless something's changed .. so loosing it to roll it may not go ..

th-1827909476.jpg

Well it's sleaved but it is in a dovetail unless something's changed .. so loosing it to roll it may not go ..

View attachment 447207
Just pulled the front sight base from mine out of the parts drawer, and it's smooth on the inside, no dovetail, but it does have a small flat at the front on the inside at the muzzle. That must be how my particular one indexes. Been awhile since I swapped it out, couldn't remember. The setscrew is on top. If his is like mine, he should be able to file the small corresponding flat on the barrel to give enough play to rotate the base. If his is dovetailed like your picture shows, yeah, there's probably no way to rotate it. My rifle was produced in December 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Just pulled the front sight base from mine out of the parts drawer, and it's smooth on the inside, no dovetail, but it does have a small flat at the front on the inside at the muzzle. That must be how my particular one indexes. The setscrew is on top, and there's only one. If his is like mine, he should be able to file the small corresponding flat on the barrel to give enough play to rotate the base. If his is dovetailed like your picture shows, yeah, there's probably no way to rotate it. My rifle was produced in December 2022.
Ok seems Diana uses that but I did not think on that model .. like the pcp guns ( that's china snowpeak. Diana's ,,) has the flaten spot to index on . Well I guess your able to roll it true then .

Good luck

Reactions: Northwoods22
Ok seems Diana uses that but I did not think on that model .. like the pcp guns ( that's china snowpeak. Diana's ,,) has the flaten spot to index on . Well I guess your able to roll it true then .

Good luck
I like the OP return it and buy an HW77 (I prefer the HW77 Long )

Hey,

So I am in Finland for a few years until the wife and I have the first kiddo. The original gun was bought from a Finnish dealer. Made Dec 2021. Had poor paint on the butt spacer, and chipped out finish on the butt. The cocking lever sheared off the receiver during normal shooting. Replacement was handled by Remes, the Finnish importer for Diana.

I have had the nose cap and sleeve off of the first 48. It had the flat ground into the barrel, and the nose cap had a flat that would index on it. The set screw sits on the radius of the barrel away from the flat.

That’s why I am asking about how the barrel is mounted. If I wanted to fix this front sight, I think I would have to rotate the entire barrel.

That said, I am planning to sell this gun. I’m not putting the man hours into polishing a turd when I can just buy a HW.

Reactions: beerthief
Hey,

So I am in Finland for a few years until the wife and I have the first kiddo. The original gun was bought from a Finnish dealer. Made Dec 2021. Had poor paint on the butt spacer, and chipped out finish on the butt. The cocking lever sheared off the receiver during normal shooting. Replacement was handled by Remes, the Finnish importer for Diana.

I have had the nose cap and sleeve off of the first 48. It had the flat ground into the barrel, and the nose cap had a flat that would index on it. The set screw sits on the radius of the barrel away from the flat.

That’s why I am asking about how the barrel is mounted. If I wanted to fix this front sight, I think I would have to rotate the entire barrel.

That said, I am planning to sell this gun. I’m not putting the man hours into polishing a turd when I can just buy a HW.
maybe just sell as is ?

I guess you could try to pm hector on this .. he's the Diana expert guy .

Hector Medina

Well I guess he's not a member here (,odd). I can't find his profile here anymore for a pm thing ..lol. ( Can't blame him)

Well here's his personal site . If it's Diana he'll know ..

Hey,

It is press fit in the receiver with 2 permanent? pins. Forget moving the barrel, but it is easy to work with. I had to grind a flat spot on the bottom of my barrel to be able to use a suppressor adapter. Everything is covered so you don't see any of it. I also had to bend my barrel to optical center of the rail so I don't have to use that stupid fully adjustable mount that sits the scope way up in the air.
316815261_10230385811415508_6862987956431979776_n.jpg

Reactions: SteveV
i had messaged Hector on another forum with this cocking arm failure but before i understood this member was located in Finland
i would have to look but i believe the barrels are splined into the breech and if so a small cant on the front sight would be the front sing
i was allowed to keep the first rifle and maybe that front sight would be better but if i remember the fronts sight is not easy to remove