• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana RWS 48

Bought mine last year and it is one of my favorites. Spring broke at about 10,000 pellets and at that time I put a Vortek kit in it and shoots just as good as it did with the factory spring. I have taken many squirrels and up to coons with it with no problems. One thing to remember is it is a magnum and does require a good springer built scope and I think you’ll be happy with how accurate they are. The farthest I have shot has been 115 yards lazered at soda cans and can consistently hit them with JSB 18 gr pellets. 

Excellent choice for that use. The newest T-06 trigger is outstanding but the previous 2 model were good enough for any hunting rig and with slight work outstanding. Had a 48/52 set up for field target , great rifle. Am old squirrel hunting partnet had a black 48 that has taken literally 100's of Grey & Fox squirrel.
If the main spring breaks you'll need a spring compressor ( clamp ) and then it is an easy job of rebuild. I like the JM kit- 20,000+ smooth shots- but other are available.

Built like a Germain tank and will last no matter what you do.

If the one listed on the classifieds ( I dont know the seller) I think you should jump on it. 

Do not be afraid of buying used from a well know airgunner, you mat well come out ahead that way.

John

Reactions: SteveV
I too bought one last year, my first air rifle. It's very accurate and well made, the trigger is good too. Mine has killed one scope and the stem came out of the piston after 3000 or so shots. Umarex sent me a replacement at no charge, all I had to do was send a copy of my sales receipt, good folks to deal with. Like Butch I installed a Vortek kit while it was apart but have considered putting the factory spring back in. The Vortek spring made it noticeably harder to cock and it now has more recoil. With the factory spring it was smooth as butter. My only complaint is that it's heavy, but that goes with the territory. I haven't killed any squirrels yet but can say it's a hammer on starlings and see no reason it wouldn't be on squirrels too. Mine shoots H&N FTT 14.66 best, but also shoots JSB 15.89 and 18.13 gr pellets very well.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a 48 if you decide to buy it.

"1BadDart"I too bought one last year, my first air rifle. It's very accurate and well made, the trigger is good too. Mine has killed one scope and the stem came out of the piston after 3000 or so shots. Umarex sent me a replacement at no charge, all I had to do was send a copy of my sales receipt, good folks to deal with. Like Butch I installed a Vortek kit while it was apart but have considered putting the factory spring back in. The Vortek spring made it noticeably harder to cock and it now has more recoil. With the factory spring it was smooth as butter. My only complaint is that it's heavy, but that goes with the territory. I haven't killed any squirrels yet but can say it's a hammer on starlings and see no reason it wouldn't be on squirrels too. Mine shoots H&N FTT 14.66 best, but also shoots JSB 15.89 and 18.13 gr pellets very well.
This will be my first air rifle also. Figured I might as well get something good instead of a cheap one that I will be disappointed with.

The 48 was my second airgun. They are tough, and hard hitting. (22 cal) Fairly easy to cock. Just have to get a method going. Has built in main spring safety that will not allow the cocking device to slam should you not cock the gun all the way. And...you can "de-cock" the rifle. But you really better know what your doing..
You won't go wrong with one.. great rifles.. 

"Locker50"
"1BadDart"I too bought one last year, my first air rifle. It's very accurate and well made, the trigger is good too. Mine has killed one scope and the stem came out of the piston after 3000 or so shots. Umarex sent me a replacement at no charge, all I had to do was send a copy of my sales receipt, good folks to deal with. Like Butch I installed a Vortek kit while it was apart but have considered putting the factory spring back in. The Vortek spring made it noticeably harder to cock and it now has more recoil. With the factory spring it was smooth as butter. My only complaint is that it's heavy, but that goes with the territory. I haven't killed any squirrels yet but can say it's a hammer on starlings and see no reason it wouldn't be on squirrels too. Mine shoots H&N FTT 14.66 best, but also shoots JSB 15.89 and 18.13 gr pellets very well.
This will be my first air rifle also. Figured I might as well get something good instead of a cheap one that I will be disappointed with.
Be aware that the learning curve with the 48 is pretty steep, at least it was for me. Last fall I found a good deal on a 34 in .177 at Midway, it's a great little rife
, especially after the Vortek kit install. it's accurate, easy to cock, light compared to the 48 and IMO easier to shoot.

I have a 52 in .22 that I bought from Rob Hawkins of Spring Gun Tunes. Mine is extremely accurate with pellet on pellet at 20 yds.....and very tight groups out to 50. It has been set to around 800 fps. Rob put in a Ruger trigger and it's light and crisp on the pull.
It is a very heavy gun, that's it's only drawback. But it's very well made and the 52 has a beautiful stock. There are better springers out there but you'll pay more. The 48 holds it own with the really good guns. IMO.
Mine tends to like JSB Exact Jumbo Express 14.3 gn and H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66 gn
Cheers,
KP

Hello all, I was actually lucky enough to purchase the Model 48 that was recently listed in the classified ads here on AGN. It should be arriving late Thursday and I am thrilled I was able to get it. I started out shooting PCP’s and have gained a lot of interest in springers since joining this forum. The accuracy achieved with them really blows me away and I would like to set this one up for Field Target shooting. There is a local club that I would like to start shooting with and I was wondering what advice you could share as far as tuning the rifle. What are your thoughts on optimal power output for the 48, 12-14 lbs? I have been doing some Google research and haven’t found much in the way of information for what Im looking to do. Any recommendations on tuning kits? I really haven’t seen much besides Vortech kits available to smooth out the shooting cycle. Any suggestions or threads related to tuning the 48 would be appreciated. I really enjoy reading everyone’s opinions and find it really informative. Thanks in advance, Rosco.

Rosco,
You scored on that deal. You might want to start a thread for info ( & posting pictures ). I would use the JM VRT kit :
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/catalog/item/251488/6962763.htm
and a large Apex seal and order a breech seal just due to postage & do have him "set" the spring ( $1.00 extra ) .
Now as your in .22 a full on "12fpe" kit could be challenging ( and fun ! ) but the above kit should work well for you.

You really can work up a 48/52/54
ad77b54618a6c42df5382a3d011cb03e.jpg

someone at your club has rebuilt a 48, ask around, someone will have a spring compressor too.

John

Reactions: SteveV
John, thanks for the reply and the good advice on how to order the kit and what extras I should include. I will start a thread like you suggest in a few days after I receive the gun. This is the first purchase I have made on the forum and it’s been a real pleasure so far. Warren the seller is a real gentleman and set me at ease from fear of being scammed with a reassuring phone call, a multitude of pictures of the rifle and a picture of the shipping label with the tracking number. I believe you are right, I checked out the link to the tuning kit and it does seem like what I am looking for and it reasonably priced too. The bummer is I live in the Northeast and we just got hit with another storm that has knocked the power out to another 100000 customers. I work for the utility company and just got home yesterday from 4 days of storm restoration and it looks like it will be another 4 days away from home. I won’t even see the rifle till next Monday at this pace. Oh well, I’m fortunate to have a great job so I shouldn’t complain. Thanks again and I will post that thread once I get started tearing into the rifle. Be good, Rosco