HW/Weihrauch Diana LP8 v. HW70

I like to change up and shoot different pistols every day or so and today I started with my Diana P5 springer. Every time I shoot a springer I am a bit surprised at how much fun I find them to be, even if not as accurate in my hands as other types. I decided the only thing needed to make my springer more fun was a better trigger. Since I have no mechanical ability and need an excuse to get another pistol, I am looking at the LP8 and HW70, mostly because they both have adjustable triggers. I would appreciate any comments on the relative virtues of each model.

This will just be for plinking out to 25 yards, no pesting or serious target work, though as the good Colonel once said, only accurate [guns] are interesting.

Agreeing with the colonel that only accurate guns are interesting, as no matter how good a gun looks, you quickly lose interest if accuracy is poor...
On that basis, the 70 has proven accuracy akin to an SSP for eons....

The P8 looks a bit gawky in comparison and can be more difficult to manage, but can be used for pests. Seen a couple of tuned ones making 580 fps type velocities, a 120 fps above the 70, rivalling the P1/45 for power. The .22 can exceed UK limits up to 7ftlbs and more powerful than the P1. Stockists here usually only stocking the .177 for that reason.
Arguably the most powerful spring piston pistol of all time..

Last edited:
Reactions: sjs
the Lp8 is a big pistol does not live up the power that is advertised but so what
the LP8 biggest problems is the trigger, it has so much take up and no trigger stop
a trigger stop is very important in my eyes, it is better known as trigger over travel
i completely reworked the trigger with longer adjustment screw, i overlaid the sear so the screw didn't to be so long in the trigger,
the grips are Galbraith Brothers no longer made
hope this helps you and yes i own a lot of pistols
SAM_0678.JPG
SAM_0679.JPG
SAM_0680.JPG
SAM_0681.JPG
SAM_0682.JPG
made a trigger stop, change both springs and in the picture i am showing you how much movement the trigger now has about 3.5mm
with the LP8 is a HW 45 and a Diana model 6 for size comparison

so, you want a springer that has power, has a great trigger, good sights, a large fan base
BSA Scorpion is your pistol
find one that has been rebuilt or a in great shape, tons of parts in the UK for them
i have one just finished and was amazed
i bought the pistol after be told it was in good shape and it wasn't, got pissed of and put it in two boxes and ordered parts and let it sit for 3 years

In reg best, it really depends on what you want it for. For accuracy the HW70 is hands down more accurate than both, easily managed and nice to shoot.

Your LP8 not living up to the power, is not the same as my experience here in the UK, Maybe yours is not fully run in, or has a tight seal but ones I've tested/tuned have edged out the P1 with the gun not stocked by some suppliers due to concerns it runs dangerously close to our 6ftlbs often edging the 600 fps or more with light pellets...versus about 550 fps for a good HW45

The 45 has a comical recoil typical of rear moving pistons, but a sublime 2 stage trigger. Plus the gun does not follow the lines of a cut down rifle....my choice above the gawky and overly large P8 if you can learn to shoot past the comedy recoil. Your trigger mod possibly levelling up this shoot off.

In the end, I choose the 70 for the nicer shooting manners and 1/2 inch groups unrested at 10 yards...Great sights and trigger ...also not pellet fussy....good tool.

Reactions: Modski66 and sjs
when the LP8 and even the P5 or 5G mag came out they said 700FPS and that was before alloy pellets had even been made
it will shoot 550 to 590 which is fine
if you read enough of my posts i always talk about triggers and why is that
the more trigger movement and or effort it takes to fire the gun, total time on trigger the less chance you are going to get good accuracy
i have wanted a HW 70 to try but is it going to be better than a Diana model 5 or 5G
one thing that has been a concern is the epoxy finish vs plain old bluing
the HW70 is on my list but finding one at a good price is hard
there was two of us working on the LP8 but we did not know it, we were working on the trigger system
we both achieved great results but when about it a little differently
one thing about the trigger assembly is it can be worked on at the bench, no cocking needed, set the sear and pull the trigger

and all new gun are great so a HW70 or something else will work

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013/04/beeman-hw-70a-air-pistol-part-4/

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/09/rws-model-lp8-magnum-part-3/

Last edited:
i know there are those who like fiber optic sights , i am not one of those
i have 2-P5's and one shoots low, the other is fine
on the one that shoots low the barrel when closed does not sit flush with the tube, it is up and this is with no breech seal and the rear sight is as tall as it will go and it will not come off to shim, i think the little screws have been spun on the back side
i am thinking of taking the barrel off and removing .1 to .2mm of breech face off but how with hand tools is a problem
a lower front sight might work and i have one coming in two test
i hate a gun that you know how to fix but lack the tools to do so, a mill would be the way to go, but a file might be the tool i use
but tri=ying to keep it dead nuts square
oh well i have other ideas
on an other note the safety on the P5 is annoying

For those struggling with open irons try this....
Well you could just use a red dot, but this works.
Fill the notch up with Black car body filler....black fender filler is a good option.
Then re-cut with a U notch using a 3mm diameter Swiss file.
It works to clarify the aiming points.

The deal with U notches, is they work as half an aperture sight, making it easier on the eyes....
The U notch design is not match legal and rarely seen on modern guns as the square notch and post are considered technically better, and match approved, but old eyes do not focus well on the square corners.

Reactions: Gunnertrones