Diana AirKing Accuracy

I am starting this thread because when I was researching the AirKing prior to purchasing one it was hard to find good information on expected accuracy. What I was looking for was average accuracy from consecutive groups at ranges from 25 to 50 yards. This is a start on filling in that gap. If you have some photos showing group averages of your own, please feel free to contribute.

Here are a couple targets shot yesterday when wind was moderately high, and today under better wind conditions. The goal was to see how the AirKing would perform off a front mounted bipod. The top target was shot at 25 yards and 35 yards. The top left bull included a couple sighters. Groups at 25 yards were very tight with an average size of 1.5 MOA. When I switched to 35 yards, I noticed that POI was significantly higher off the bipod than I had been getting from either sticks or front bag. After rezeroing I was able to get one 35 yard group that measured 1.9 MOA including some horizontal spread from the wind.

With the wind lower this morning I moved to 50 yards, both to confirm accuracy off the bipod, and also to evaluate POI shifts from various supports. The scope was adjusted up 4 MOA to correct for the expected drop using yesterday's 35 yard zero. The first group was off the bipod and hit just a little left. Next I tried shooting off sticks with disastrous results. Not only was the POI much lower, but there were some major fliers. With practice I could probably eliminate those fliers, but shooting off sticks definitely presents a challenge. The upper right target was off a front bag, with the bag positioned in the middle of the stock, about the same location as the sticks. POI was lower and left of POI from the bipod, but another good group. Last, I moved the bag to the front of the stock, about where the bipod had been mounted. POI was still a little low, but less so than when the bag was positioned in the middle of the stock. Average from the 3 groups was only 1.3 MOA.

Conclusion? It is going to be either bipod or bench for this gun, and some rezeroing will be necessary when switching between the two,

P7210192.jpg

Well.... Its brand new gun and ive seen far worse.. yours looks good too me ..

Just keep shooting it and let it relax and im sure it wi ll be more one holeing. Check for loosness like stock / scope screws as you go.

Rome was not built in a day ya know.

Just me but i like to keep my barrel clean and most times scrub it around 1000 shots. Then i also shoot crosmans. A new gun of mine gets a good cleaning work over. If needed or not

Anyway its the 3 P's. Practice, patance and pellets ( not in that order)

Pass on the bi-pod, sticks/... Shooting from the FT position, or the right bags 3/4" average at 40 yards would be expected. Even on a bag you may need to put your hand under it.
Hector was (is?) a big fan of those : https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/apps/search?q=54
Maybe click around. It is a les recoil felt springer but springer rules still apply.
Keep us posted.
John

Reactions: Deerstalker
Pass on the bi-pod, sticks/... Shooting from the FT position, or the right bags 3/4" average at 40 yards would be expected. Even on a bag you may need to put your hand under it.
Hector was (is?) a big fan of those : https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/apps/search?q=54
Maybe click around. It is a les recoil felt springer but springer rules still apply.
Keep us posted.
John
Thanks for the link. Since 3/4" at 40 yards works out to 1.9 MOA, and I am getting average group sizes of 1.5 MOA or less, my rifle must be performing to expectations, right? As far as performance off a bipod is concerned, my rifle does very well, almost as well as from bags, and a better choice than sticks for a field posistion. So far my AirKing has proven to be very difficult to shoot off sticks, no less sensitive than a standard springer really. That kind of surprises me.

Distance? That's some great shooting.
25M
25M Zero

Thanks, took a lot of time getting everything dialed in and kind of challenging. I had scope creep, stock bolts loosing up, normal stuff for this beast. But after a purchasing a torque wrench and blue loctite and all has been fantastic since.

Str8shooter, looking good! Here is mine from today. A bit breezy and got harder to shoot around the wind as the morning progressed. Off a front bag today, good groups at first then started opening up. Not sure if it was the wind, the rifle or me. Need a calm day to find out. Average of five consecutive groups 1.6 MOA. BTW, I did try the JSB 15.9 pellets, but found mine in its current state of tune to do better with the 18.1 grainers.

P7220193.jpg

Here is some shooting off of sticks in calm conditions. I modified my position to be more like my position with a bipod, and it seems to be working. I know a lot of people like to see the tiny groups, but what I am looking for is every group under 2 MOA off of sticks. This is hard to do with a standard springer, and I am hoping I can get there with the AirKing.

There is a pattern beginning to emerge with my relatively new rifle of POI starting high, transitioning lower at around 15 shots, then becoming stable again at a lower POI. That corresponds to what I saw in chronograph measurements, and you can see the pattern in these groups. I would like to tear it down and relube, but don't want to lose the warranty just yet.

P7220197.jpg

I had a RWS-54 in the late 80s. Back then there were only Beeman and RSW pellets. The RWS grouped the best then for longer distances (about 1.5" at 65 yards). Although the last time I shot RWS pellets about 12 years ago, they were absolutely lousy in comparison with JSBs, so the Air-King certainly can do well. It has double-recoil (shooter feels no recoil) so will kill any scope that was not built for it. Need a scope stop too. Do not dry-fire...it can break the spring. It's a unique and very ingenuous rifle design.

I had a D52 in .22, nearly all of the pellets that I tried (JSB, H&N) would fall out of the barrel, which made it real challenging to load and cock. I contacted Umerex and they said to only use RWS pellets, my reply was I have no use for any rifle that I can only use one brand of pellet, they were nice enough to allow me to exchange it with a D52 in .177 and it shoots great.

Here is some shooting off of sticks in calm conditions. I modified my position to be more like my position with a bipod, and it seems to be working. I know a lot of people like to see the tiny groups, but what I am looking for is every group under 2 MOA off of sticks. This is hard to do with a standard springer, and I am hoping I can get there with the AirKing.

There is a pattern beginning to emerge with my relatively new rifle of POI starting high, transitioning lower at around 15 shots, then becoming stable again at a lower POI. That corresponds to what I saw in chronograph measurements, and you can see the pattern in these groups. I would like to tear it down and relube, but don't want to lose the warranty just yet.

View attachment 277759
No idea what's going on with that? Most of my accuracy issues were scope related, I put a pencil line on the scope of all my springers so I can tell if there has been any movement. I enjoy shooting off bucket and sticks, silhouette's are a lot of fun.

Last edited: