Diana Air King 54 Sled System

I had a new spring installed in my Diana 54 by Motorhead. Good work! I had sent him just the action, and when I mounted it to my stock, the sled system doesn't seem to work like it should. Hefty recoil and large groups. Blah! Do I have the screws too tight? That is my guess. Any good info out in Air Gun World?

Diana 54 Air King.jpg

Set the gun all the way back in the track and remove the rear stock screw. Turn the sled adjustment all the way IN just until you feel it bottom out. From there turn it back OUT about 1/4-1/2 turn. You'll have to play with that setting a bit to find what your gun and pellet combo really likes though. Once you find the setting you like, remove the adjustment and add some blue loctite and re-set it where you like it. I'm sure @Motorhead can give you a much better idea of how to do it than I can though.

Edit: It actually may take as little as 1/8 of a turn. I dont quite remember I just know it really wasn't much of an adjustment outward from full in.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEFFPPC
For what its worth from a new 54 owner in .22. I bought a used one , sent it to John Thomas. This is what I have learned. Pretty pellet picky. Mine likes H&N Baracuda 15 the best. Yesterday I shot 3 in a row 5 shot group's at 25 yds that were from .222 c/c to .300. I figured out with a front rest and rear bag shooting it much like I would deer rifle it wants NO shooter pressure.2 of those group's the first 4 looked like 1 pellet. Fun to shoot, outside of the shoulder bit it is easy to shoot. It also doubles as a trip to the gym for a high rep medium weight workout for this 75 yr old, lol. Will it group with my TX200 group for group? Not yet, but once it gets some shots through it I will find out.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
For what its worth from a new 54 owner in .22. I bought a used one , sent it to John Thomas. This is what I have learned. Pretty pellet picky. Mine likes H&N Baracuda 15 the best. Yesterday I shot 3 in a row 5 shot group's at 25 yds that were from .222 c/c to .300. I figured out with a front rest and rear bag shooting it much like I would deer rifle it wants NO shooter pressure.2 of those group's the first 4 looked like 1 pellet. Fun to shoot, outside of the shoulder bit it is easy to shoot. It also doubles as a trip to the gym for a high rep medium weight workout for this 75 yr old, lol. Will it group with my TX200 group for group? Not yet, but once it gets some shots through it I will find out.
I just got some of those Baracuda 15s in. Need to test them when I get home now

Set the gun all the way back in the track and remove the rear stock screw. Turn the sled adjustment all the way IN just until you feel it bottom out. From there turn it back OUT about 1/4-1/2 turn. You'll have to play with that setting a bit to find what your gun and pellet combo really likes though. Once you find the setting you like, remove the adjustment and add some blue loctite and re-set it where you like it. I'm sure @Motorhead can give you a much better idea of how to do it than I can though.

Edit: It actually may take as little as 1/8 of a turn. I dont quite remember I just know it really wasn't much of an adjustment outward from full in.
Thetes info out there on that . Its knowing how to and your petsonal feel of how and what ends up right for you and your shooting. Figured hector would have this on his blog / site .

Heres a quick go over from taptalk

Recoiling Mechanism on 54- IMPORTANT-

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the...step-48-52-54-tuning-instructions-t2878.html?

Sweet gun ... Enjoy

• Love
Reactions: Feinwerk
@Hateful McNasty , thanks for that link, I copied n pasted the text into a file to keep in my RWS 54 folder for future reference. I think I remember reading something about finessing the adjustment of the sled screw somewhere. Getting some lube on that spring ball plunger that holds the action in its initial position helps create the most consistent breakaway and sliding action during the shot cycle as I remember. Looks like Jon Stewart covered it pretty well in this writeup that you linked to.

Feinwerk

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Some good info in link below between Hector and Nitrocrushr. They’re talking about a very special D54 in particular (I know of one person on AGN who has one) but a lot of info applies to the normal D54 as well.

Gta and its german gate probably has lots on it and hector pops up to answer often.. almost daily..

Broke out the 56 TH today to play with the sled system a bit. Keep in mind mine is pushing 23ftlbs and not tuned down in the slightest so your mileage may vary. Also worth noting that I have my stock screws tightened to 20inlbs.

View attachment 341746
After the red lam 54 Airking Pro arrived with the broken stock I kept thinking I need to try a Diana recoilless rifle. Have been watching Duke go through His special 54 next door, then Hector posts up Nitrocrushr’s writeup. And THEN YOU POST THIS! The proverbial straw. I just purchased the pre-owned .177 56TH that was on AoA. Sqwirlfugger, I’ll PM you my email so you can send me reimbursement ha ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Frogy and Sqwirl57
After the red lam 54 Airking Pro arrived with the broken stock I kept thinking I need to try a Diana recoilless rifle. Have been watching Duke go through His special 54 next door, then Hector posts up Nitrocrushr’s writeup. And THEN YOU POST THIS! The proverbial straw. I just purchased the pre-owned .177 56TH that was on AoA. Sqwirlfugger, I’ll PM you my email so you can send me reimbursement ha ha ha.
They're definitely some cool guns. A little more sensative to their needs to be working properly but fun nonetheless. A lot of people complain about the cocking effort but I find its pretty simple and just a natural swing of the arm to bring the sidelever back. They are definitely some heavy girls though. I can shoot mine offhand pretty well but it certainly gets tiring.

Reactions: Frogy