Diana Diana 75 HV

IMG_3537.jpeg
IMG_3536.jpeg

Congrats on getting Diana 75!

One of my beloved air rifles - it stacks em hole in hole - Awesome rifles ! I currently have scope dis-mounted and running the factory sights again, still a laser lol .

Reactions: Nitrocrushr
the little foot, for a lack of another word is reverse threaded and i believe it is 10mm-.75 fine thread
now my tap will not go into the disc like you would think so hard and binds up so i stopped there
i tried to find a reverse thread bolt and that was a no go
they do not make reverse thread, thread checks so i still not confirm the size
could it be some bastard thread maybe
i spent about 60 bucks and said i have had enough
and i could not thread check the foot in the die because the square will not work in the die, it was damn frustrating

could it be reproduced yes by a good machinist that is an expert on thread making

now you can see how easy it could be lost and even if a person saw one they would not have a clue what it was for

when you install you get the grooves going the right way drop it in from the top and turn the wheel to the left

you would need to make the rod in the right reverse thread and then mill it down square form the grooves in the end to match the rifle mount and cut to length
i do think that could be out steel, brass, aluminum

you need something else ask i am still looking for someone to make the tootsie roll barrel weight like the K model and that would be far easier to make
thumbnail_IMG_4090.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4089.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4085.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4084.jpg

I recently re-sealed my 75 T01 U. Went to shoulder it, and the rubber butt pad disintegrated. Dry rotted all the way through to the metal dovetail frame and block. I'm in the process of fabricating a new one using the original dovetail hardware. Put 50 rounds or so through it to test my re-seal job, and all is working well. Anxious to get the pad done, re-zero it, and get to doing some shooting.

I have an indoor range, but our late winter daytime outdoor temps are getting quite reasonable. Extra motivation to finish things up.

D75T01.JPG

Wow, that's really a beauty! As marflow said, I've never seen one with the dealer's name on it like that, very cool.

Note it's a model 75 action, not the later 75 T01. Both sights on the latter differ, and the diopter rear will not interchange. Here are the three classic Diana sights, left to right the Diopters 60, 75, and 75 T01. Note the first two have "drooped" sides to the rail, and the T01 has a different flat shape:

To be honest the easiest way to find the mounting stud might be to just buy another sight. They are relatively common, and the stud will Interchange on all three (the D60's looks a bit different with the dished top, but works fine).

FWIW...the only gun I have with a similar dealer stamping is a Diana 45 underlever made in the 1930's! It says, WAFFEN-JUNG STUTTGART CALWERSTR. (Calwerstrasse is Stuttgart's tony shopping district; believe it or not, Waffen-Jung is still in business.)

Last edited:
After JEFFPPC gave me the report on his Diana 75, I decided to begin my search for one. I lucked out and CT Airguns had just picked one up! It needs seals, but for a 40+ year old rifle it is in great shape.

Thank you JEFFPPC for the tip on the D75, and CT Airguns for having one available.

I’m looking forward to getting this old classic back on the range.

Steve

View attachment 443492
Wow! Congrats on that one, Steve; it's a stunner. I would love to have one with the goddess to go with my others.

thumbnail (12).jpg

When quite available I used to go into the gun shop in Kansas City, Missouri at 1701 Baltimore and had to wipe off the drool on the glass counter top. They have been gone now for about twenty. Years and I still have regrets in not buying the 75 TO1 and an old S&W triple lock 4" in 45 Colt. Both guns still haunt my dreams. Maybe in June I will have enough for both guns saved up and I can start my search. And maybe the Big Guy will grant me enough days and health to enjoy them. Enjoy your family and friends boys and girls, they are numbered, and thank the Lord for the people and days you have already had. Be Well Brothers, Bandito.

Also understand the REAR SIGHT ASSEMBLY on the "HV" ( High View ) is a 2 part affair .... That of the Sight assembly & that of a spacer that elevates the sight plane. At muzzle they came with TWO housings, low one to be used making rifle a non hv at standard height used with no rear spacer, AND the taller HV housing used with the spacer. * Sight inserts simply swap over between them.
Mine came with both ...
;)

Last edited:
Also understand the REAR SIGHT ASSEMBLY on the "HV" ( High View ) is a 2 part affair .... That of the Sight assemble & that of a spacer that elevates the sight plane. At muzzle they came with TWO housings, low one to be used making rifle a non hv at standard height used with no rear spacer, AND the taller HV housing used with the spacer. * Sight inserts simply swap over between them.
Mine came with both ...
;)
Scott, is the part beneath this sight (with serrated top) the spacer you’re talking about?

IMG_4918.jpeg

Any machinist should be able to copy that stud IF you can figure out the thread. Make the stud, thread it, and cut the flats in a mill. Maybe some small operations after but that looks to be a simplified version. Still knowing what threads will be the trick. Be Well, B.
Thats what I’m thinking too. The hardest part as I see it will be to mill the teeth on the foot to match up against the teeth in the base.

Steve

Reactions: Bandito
Hey Nitrocrushr,
I love your curiosity towards how airguns work and your skills (tools) needed to fix/modify them(y).
That Diana does represent the height manufacturers achieved to produce an accurate gun.

That said ......... I would never shoot a 11-13 pound gun much ..... not matter how accurate is was or how good it looked - that's me.

I struggle to put in much time with my HW80 because of it's mass.

the sight and how to make it work

we have been talking about how to make a replacement part and i would call that thinking inside the box
now many of these sights have lost parts and that is a problem to have a sight that cannot be use because of a missing part

so, what about thinking outside the box
i have been giving it some thought and even told the owner to drill 3 holes for some nylon tipped 5mm grub screw that would work

so, what could the average guy do with some hand tools

my idea in the make a square plate to sit in the pocket and drill it for a 8mm nylon tipped grub screw
the screws can be found and the plate is a common size aluminum bar stock at 1 3/8 by 3mm or 1/8 in thickness
one end has to be resized because the opening on the one side is smaller

now to the purist they will say it is not correct but i say it would be called a Diana diopter repair kit

i scratch out some info and anyone that would want to make some have at it

thumbnail_IMG_4092.jpg

The "B" and "S" were made late in the model 75's run; the stocks are beech and each is a sort of simpler, slimmer version of a previous walnut model. The B is much like the previous HV, and the S like the previous U and K stocks.

By those days the 75 had been passed up as a top-of-the-line model (not least by the amazing Diana model 100 SSP), and these models were no doubt intended to sell for less money but that's no put down! As DMM notes, they are rather rare, and VERY well-designed stocks that are interesting in their own right. (I've secretly lusted for an S for years LOL...)

Reactions: Bandito and klentz