• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana Diana 54 action movement

I just purchased a new Diana 54 Airking Pro (laminated stock) in .22 cal. I was siting it in and found that the first shot would be dead on, the second 3" low, the third dead on (same hole as the first) and fourth 3" low (same hole as the second). I was very puzzled until I realized that the entire action slides within the stock and it was not returning to the front position when re-cocked. So, I manually pull the barrel forward within the stock after every shot and it's always dead on.

The manual says that it should automatically go back to the front position when re-cocked. Any ideas?

Also, the entire mechanisms shifts within the stock (see pics). Is this normal? Pyramid Air (Seller) said this is a defective gun but I think they might be wrong? They said that the there should be no movement within the stock. However, I thought that's what a sliding action did.
Any help would be immensely appreciated.
Dan

2024-01-11 12.09.19.jpg

2024-01-11 12.09.08.jpg

There is a tension screw under the front trigger guard screw that adjusts how the recoil is controlled/how tight that initial forward lockup is when cocked. Sounds like yours is loose. Its kind of a finicky gun in my experience so you'll have to play with that to find a happy place to be. If memory serves, mine is adjusted all the way in and then back out about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. I believe it is adjusted with the action in the rearward position. Its been awhile since I've played with mine so don't hold me to that

Last edited:
Thank you both. I'll check my cocking and the tension screw. But can you confirm that I'm correct in that the entire action does move within the stock? Per the pictures I attached. If I'm write, I would like to let the Pyramid Air guys know. Thanks again.

Yes, the action (barrel, scope, mount, etc) should move this is called a sledge system. It also looks like unless you did it purposely that your mount is partially off the scope rail already. The 54 is notorious for ruining scopes due to the recoil.

YES 54 & 56 actions BY DESIGN are on a sled that moves.

Cocking gun done when muzzle is up near vertical may have an effect on the action STAYING forward.
If you tighten tension screw on rear sled block ? ... Do so ONLY in maximum 1/4 turn intervals between reassemble & test shots.

Motohead, that's exactly what I thought. The PyramidAir guys are wrong so thanks for confirming that I'm not insane. Mine isn't staying forward. It's kicking backwards (as it should) then staying there. I need to check that I'm cocking it all the way back (per Feinwerk) and, if so, investigate the tension screw (per Sqwirl).

Mike, thank you. The scope IS off the rail. Funny thing is that I didn't even notice and was driving tacks the whole time. May need some loctite on the rail screws....

the tension screw is under the stock screw , in the picture above the action is out of the stock . you can adjust the tension screw by taking the stock screw out , adjust and replace the stock screw before you cock of shoot the gun IF I REMEMBERED THIS RIGHT

in the picture the stock screw is not shown , it screws into the brass piece and a long allen wrench fits the tension screw down inside the brass piece .

P.S. the gun does not automatically return to the front position it is manual as you cock the gun normally with the side lever all the way back .

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorhead
I tend to set mine on the looser side. Just enough tension on the sled to stay forward but slide back when tilted somewhere between 45 to 90 degrees straight up. My habit is to always push the action forward when I thumb the safety off. I never shoot at anything higher than a 45 anyway.

Hector Medina is one of the most knowledgeable and accomplished shooters with this platform.

https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hec...e-and-wonderful-range-of-a-short-stroked-d-54

Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Bandito
I tend to set mine on the looser side. Just enough tension on the sled to stay forward but slide back when tilted somewhere between 45 to 90 degrees straight up. My habit is to always push the action forward when I thumb the safety off. I never shoot at anything higher than a 45 anyway.

Hector Medina is one of the most knowledgeable and accomplished shooters with this platform.

https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hec...e-and-wonderful-range-of-a-short-stroked-d-54

Your mileage may vary.
+1. There are articles on Hector’s website and slo on here by Steve Herr (Nitrocrushr) where he works on the 54/56 platform. Some in depth info on the platform. Well worth a read for a better understanding of it.