• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Diana 54 accuracy in .22 caliber

This is a follow up to a prior post describing the "inverted" rifling pattern that Diana uses on the 54, and maybe on all their rifles. The responses were basically: "interesting, but how does it shoot?". We have had some calm weather in Michigan lately, so after thoroughly cleaning the barrel and checking adjustments I shot some targets at 10m indoors, and 25 and 35 yards outdoors. These are the results with JSB 15.9 gr pellets.

PB230312.jpg

I am satisfied with this level of accuracy, around 2 MOA off of sticks. It is true that this is not much better than can be achieved with a TX200 once you get dialed in, but there is less of a tendency toward fliers with the 54. It is no PCP, but less hold sensitive than the typical springer, especially given the power level,

I have to say that working with the D54 has been a real experience. It took quite a period of time for the rifle to settle in, and during that time its pellet preference seemed to change. Currently it is doing well with the JSB 15.9, whereas previously it favored the JSB 18.1. I assume that is due to velocity dropping and becoming more consistent as lubricants burned off.

I had a 54 in 22 cal and used it to shoot pests. I could easily shoot birds at 50-60 yards. I used the brown box Premiers and they shot well. I sold it to a guy in Colorado and he took a coyote with it. Mine would shoot nickel sized groups at 30 yards. I would check the stock screws and maybe change torque settings. Seems to me it should shoot a bit better than that.