Diana 54 .22 Loose Breech

Hi Folks, I’ve had a Diana 54 “Pro” Red Laminate .22 for about 6 months, maybe a year and I haven’t come across any ammo that will snug into the chamber. The breech is so large that I have to tilt the muzzle down or else the pellet will fall onto the bear trap teeth area and I have to stop myself from closing the compression chamber. It’s kind of a pain in the ***, I’m habitually pointing muzzle up because it gives me the easiest visual and physical access to everything in the loading process. She groups nicely for a springer at 30 metres with JSB 15gr, so I don’t think the loose breech is a manufacturing defect. Maybe I out to get some German ammo for this German gun and she just might amaze me. 

What is your experience with these Diana RWS 48/52/54 breeches? Snug enough to retain the pellet even when the muzzle is pointed up? Mine lets the pellet fall out even pointed a few degrees above horizontal. 

What pellet(s) shoot best out of your RWS 48/52/54 .22?

Thanks,

BZO100

I don't ever remember having a problem with the pellets staying in the breech. So pulled it out and checked. The JSB 13.4, 15.89, 18,13 and even the Crosman CPs seem to fit loose in the breech but none fall out even when the gun is held at a very steep angle. 

My 54 shoots the JSB 15.89 and 18.13 pellets pretty well. My 52 liked the JSBs too.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/took-teh-diana-54-out-to-100-yards-today/?referrer=1

I have 2 Dianas that have the same problem, both are 177. I can not shoot any JSB in my 430L under lever,the pellet will fall out almost every time. Any H+N in the 4.3 head size work fine. My new 34EMS 177 is even worse. I have dry fired it several times trying to shoot JSB in any head size. Again the H+N in the bigger head size work fine. I have no problems with my Diana 52 in .22 it shoots the JSB just fine, but loves the H+N Barracudas 

Have you tried pushing a pellet all the way down from the breech? Is it just the lead in or is the entire bore oversize? I have saw a couple rare cases where the lead in is oversize and the pellet skirts need to be expanded to get a good seal to start. If the entire bore is oversize then you have a bigger issue. If the barrel is oversize, then mabey a call to the mfgr and plead for mercy or find a replacement barrel mabey??

I don't ever remember having a problem with the pellets staying in the breech. So pulled it out and checked. The JSB 13.4, 15.89, 18,13 and even the Crosman CPs seem to fit loose in the breech but none fall out even when the gun is held at a very steep angle. 

My 54 shoots the JSB 15.89 and 18.13 pellets pretty well. My 52 liked the JSBs too.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/took-teh-diana-54-out-to-100-yards-today/?referrer=1

Thanks for sharing your RWS54 breech characteristics for me to compare. Dang, hope my 54 can shoot that well at 100. I’ve only shot to 37 yards, pretty satisfactory looking group, most of the holes were touching each other, I didn’t measure tho.

I have 2 Dianas that have the same problem, both are 177. I can not shoot any JSB in my 430L under lever,the pellet will fall out almost every time. Any H+N in the 4.3 head size work fine. My new 34EMS 177 is even worse. I have dry fired it several times trying to shoot JSB in any head size. Again the H+N in the bigger head size work fine. I have no problems with my Diana 52 in .22 it shoots the JSB just fine, but loves the H+N Barracudas 

What head sizes have you tried?

5.50, 5.51, 5.52 are the only ones I have on hand… gonna order me some bigger ones to try.. thanks!

I have only run into this problem with JSB pellets. A tin of 18.1 labeled 5.52 fit fine, another tin labeled 5.53 can fall out if I don't seat it firmly. Go figure. In general I have found the JSB size labeling to be a poor indicator of what is in the tin. H&N sizing seems much more accurate in my experience.
+1. I have a 2007 52L and a 2004 Model 34 both in .177 and I just don’t fool with JSB pellets in them. H&N shoot very well and I stick with that.