• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana diana 48 poi 10inches low with optically centered scope at 12 inches BKL 301 rings

Dianas usually need some droop compensation mounts but that is excessive. Even a droop mount isn't going to compensate for nearly 85 MOA of adjustment. Did you just purchase the gun?
A friend of mine has a 48 with the same amount of drop as the OP's rifle, and the scope base Marflow suggested did indeed fix the problem. It also has dual recoil stop pins spaced specifically for the holes on the Diana scope base. Pretty solid setup.

A friend of mine has a 48 with the same amount of drop as the OP's rifle, and the scope base Marflow suggested did indeed fix the problem. It also has dual recoil stop pins spaced specifically for the holes on the Diana scope base. Pretty solid setup.
Not 10" at 12yds though. That's nearly 85 MOA. That drooper mount is 10" at 30yds which comes to about 35moa of adjustment. He can certainly try it but that math doesn't seem right to me but I still haven't had my coffee yet. May be missing something.

Not 10" at 12yds though. That's nearly 85 MOA. That drooper mount is 10" at 30yds which comes to about 35moa of adjustment. He can certainly try it but that math doesn't seem right to me but I still haven't had my coffee yet. May be missing something.
I agree, the math doesn't add up, but it did work on my friend's 48. It's a .177 and he mounted a 3-9 Bug Buster.

I went with an adjustable RWS C mount on mine, and I had to raise the rear ring 40 thousandths for a proper 30yd zero. I don't know what it is about the 48. A fixed barrel rifle and the barrel on mine is dead straight/parallel in relation to the receiver, no measurable droop. Strange stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneeleven1990
I agree, the math doesn't add up, but it did work on my friend's 48. It's a .177 and he mounted a 3-9 Bug Buster.

I went with an adjustable RWS C mount on mine, and I had to raise the rear ring 40 thousandths for a proper 30yd zero. I don't know what it is about the 48. A fixed barrel rifle and the barrel on mine is dead straight/parallel in relation to the receiver, no measurable droop. Strange stuff.
I see my error. I thought his scope was maxed out and skimmed past the optical zero. He still won't be optically zeroed with the mount but he will be zeroed. My bad guys

When I test for droop I do it at ten yards with a centered scope and known good rings. Assuming pellet trajectory is negligible I calculate droop by the distance between POA and POI less the scope height. Typically 1.5" with the rings I use.

I think the most droop I've seen was a Diana 27 that already had a drooper mount on it. I bent the barrel up only enough to get it into the scopes usable adjustment range. The bend to get it to the scopes optical zero on the drooper mount would have been visually offensive. I don't know why Dianas have so much droop. Is there or was there a practical purpose for droop? It doesn't cost anything more to make them reasonably straight.

update**

I installed a sports match droop compensated mount with a hawke vantage and it is shooting 2 inches higher than the bkl/athlon at 12yds...I am beside myself I ordered adjustable rings capable of 35moa I really don't want to bend the barrel but it may come to that
Now I'm confused. Reading back on your post I'm thinking my initial comment was right about the excessive droop here. Is your scope maxed out and still shooting low?

so I have the droop compensated mount and 3x shimms made out of pop cans atm and it works but I really would like to get this gun optically centered by the end
How far off from an optical zero are you with the shims? The only reason I ask is because I never had great luck with those adjustable mounts on springers. They were constantly losing my zero. I have a BKL adjustable one piece on a Theoben that holds zero great but the recoil is no comparison to a full power 48

you can get the cheap UTG scope mount and try it or you can go a buy the much more expensive Buris mounts that take the insert to correct POI
the droop mounts were made for the 48-52-54 and they used to have them for TO1 guns and now it is listed or was for TO6
the TO1 mount had a piece that dropped over the front of the mount so it could not slide back

here is some reading material from someone that knows not that all of you don't
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/01/barrel-droop/

i reality i don't care how you fix it or if you fix it, i just point to a solution how you use it doesn't matter to me
but good luck

Reactions: Sqwirl57
you can get the cheap UTG scope mount and try it or you can go a buy the much more expensive Buris mounts that take the insert to correct POI
the droop mounts were made for the 48-52-54 and they used to have them for TO1 guns and now it is listed or was for TO6
the TO1 mount had a piece that dropped over the front of the mount so it could not slide back

here is some reading material from someone that knows not that all of you don't
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/01/barrel-droop/

i reality i don't care how you fix it or if you fix it, i just point to a solution how you use it doesn't matter to me
but good luck
Those Burris mounts are fantastic and from the sounds of it he actually would want to use them in combo with the drooper rail. That'll give him up to 75 MOA and get him very close to center.

Last edited:
How far off from an optical zero are you with the shims? The only reason I ask is because I never had great luck with those adjustable mounts on springers. They were constantly losing my zero. I have a BKL adjustable one piece on a Theoben that holds zero great but the recoil is no comparison to a full power 48
so with the shimms and droop compensated mount I am still 5-6ish inches low at 12yds and that is my same concern thinking about rocksetting or loctite 640 the adjustable portion after I find center