Diana 48 pellets

Good evening all! I'm relatively new to air guns, and have put thousands of rounds through my sig Sauer asp20 in .177, and probably 1000 rounds through my Diana 48 T05 in .22.

Question I have is regarding pellet choice for the 48. It is grouping the baracuda match 21.14 in ragged one hole groups at 20 yards. Is this pellet too heavy for this gun? I'm using it for target , pliinking, and small game.

thank you in advance!

Glen

I wouldn’t say that’s too heavy but your on the upper end for that power plant. If it shoots them well go for it.

If you haven’t tried JSB’s in 16 & 18gr I would get some. At 21gr I would think your speed an power are probably not at there most efficient. Definitely adds to the hold over at longer ranges.

on my .25 cal 52 anything over the JSB 25.4s and the fps sink like a stone.

I’ve heard some people say that shooting too heavy of a pellet shortens the life of the spring. If so great all the sooner you can get a Vortek kit.😉

I have a Vortek kit with well over 5000 shots on it and going strong. 

Mat

1564664935_18057731685d42e46753b4d4.89154883_8B2B1745-D30D-4A9A-BEC4-F14FE3796E01.jpeg
I’m using the jsb 18 gr in my diana 48 and seems to group well. My backyard range is about 25 yrds so similar to what your shooting. 

I appreciate the input guys! I guess I'll stick with these for the next 1000 rounds, since that's what I have left of them! Then I could switch to 18 grain. I have tried the following pellets: jsb exact jumbo express Diablo 14.39, jsb jumbo Diablo 15.89, h and n field target trophy 14.66, and the 21.14. although they all shoot well, the 21.14 group the best, and they always shoot HIGHER up on the paper target than the lighter pellets.

I haven't chronied any of them since I don't own any equipment (yet)😉.

My old 56TH in .22 (same power plant) always shot 18gr JSB’s higher as well. Speed, harmonics, barrel length, who knows what caused it. My gun liked JSB 18’s, H&N FTT’s, and JSB 16gr. In that order.

I had a 48 in .22 years ago and it just loved the old Crosman 14.3 Brown Box. Those were the days.

Mat

Yup, those were the days. Although my sig loves the crosman brown box.....

Here’s a link to the test numbers from Straight Shooters website.

http://www.straightshooters.com/rws-model-48-.22-beech.html

your numbers look a little low, but if it shoots well I’d leave it. How old is it? Maybe a weak spring? Might have been left cocked.

I had the factory spring break on my 48. The bottom 3 coils just wound up in the rest of the spring. Shot fine just seemed slow. No Chrony back then, didn’t know until I took it apart.

If it needs freshening up I’d get a Vortek PG2 kit. Nice smooth power.

Reactions: Glenroiland

your numbers look a little low, but if it shoots well I’d leave it. How old is it? Maybe a weak spring? Might have been left cocked.

I had the factory spring break on my 48. The bottom 3 coils just wound up in the rest of the spring. Shot fine just seemed slow. No Chrony back then, didn’t know until I took it apart.

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll chrony it again tomorrow, but I thought it might be low. It shoots very well, so not sure I'll mess with it until I need to. I bought it for pest control, but I have other options if needed. Thank you!

And in terms of age, 2006.