Diana Diana 48 - Journey Update w/ happy ending

Well f***! Luckily I didn’t lose a finger when the bolt slammed home.
IMG_3984.jpeg

I’ve always been pretty delicate with this rifle, but I guess a few thousand strokes was just too much.

Already emailed support. Waiting for a reply.

View attachment 435908
I’ve always been pretty delicate with this rifle, but I guess a few thousand strokes was just too much.

Wow.
First time seeing that for me too. Sheared off at 3 attachment points.

What's the serial number? ....just curious...I don't own a 48 but I do own 2 RWS 54. I assume their cocking arms are similarly attached.

I guess I'll give my 54s a rest ...till the dust settles.

Hopefully Hector M can chime in.

Last edited:
View attachment 435908

Holy crap! I would be sick. Maybe Diana will hook you up with a new one.

so we all understand what happened i would like to hear a lot more detail
we as owners know the bear trap holds the piston till it hooks up at the trigger assembly

details please
If he doesn't like the clicking noise of the bear trap he can bypass that by holding the release button while cocking it. What disturbs me is how those 3 spot welds broke loose? To me it looks like a lack of spot weld penetration which is caused my too low of a setting?

I assumed Diana plug or rosette welded the two parts together? Clearly not the case!

so i have been reading forums for a very long time and i have never seen this happen in a picture or ever read a word on it
now i have a model 48 that i bought say 10 years ago that had been damaged
it snapped the connector off the cylinder, bent the bear trap screw, damaged the cocking handle, badly bent the cocking rod and put a large dent in the tube and knocked the piston shaft loose
the gun can be violent, and it has way more power than we think .

my hope was to hear how this happen with all the details
the spot weld held but the metal of the tube was torn out looking at a enlarged picture
the how and why are important in this case

so we all understand what happened i would like to hear a lot more detail
we as owners know the bear trap holds the piston till it hooks up at the trigger assembly

details please
Not too exciting of a story. I took it out to the woods to get it zeroed at 30 meters. Temp was -8*C. First day warm enough to shoot comfortably in months.

I had it nearly dialed in perfect. Printed a nice 1.5” group from unsupported sitting. Made my final adjustment, put the butt into my waist (sitting legs folded on the ground) and pulled the cocking lever back. Business as usual.

Before the bolt even got to the first step of the bear trap, the arm sheared off, the bolt slammed closed, and the lever went flying forward. It had some force behind it because it cut a nice groove off the stock as it went.

But I was fine. Just said welp, f***. Packed up and went home. Wasn’t even mad, just disappointed.

By my eye, the spot welds/solder whatever they used failed from fatigue loading. The receiver tube is still intact.

By my eye, the spot welds/solder whatever they used failed from fatigue loading. The receiver tube is still intact.
Exactly my point! If it was spot welded correctly, you would have 3 holes in the tube as it tore away. Clearly the settings on the spot welder was set too low or the welding unit needs maintenance.

I'm looking forward to hear if they send you a new 48?
When was the gun made, it should be stamped on the unit?

Wow. Glad your fingers weren't anywhere near the breech when that sucker failed. Never seen this happen to a Diana sidelever before.

Did the compression tube slam into the anti-bear trap? If so, you may want to take the action out of the stock and look underneath the breech to check if the bolt that the bear trap pivots on is still intact. I picked up a 48 that unbeknownst to me had suffered a tube slam which caused that bolt to shear, looked like this:

pjB3zXgh.jpg

B5ztJZvh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EquivalentDelta
can i get the serial number to give the Hector
manufacture date 12-2021
did the rifle get to the point of being the outdoor temperature at the time

Hectors post to me

Mike

I had never seen anything like it.

But then it is strongly disadvised to shoot springers in sub-freezing temperatures.

For sure the lubes are in a complete state of inoperation and the seals will also suffer.

The contraction in the spot welds could have been strong enough to create this problem.

Not that DIANA won't stand behind their product. Just a note to let users know that working under these conditions is not what the guns were designed for.

If you can ask the serial number and the date of manufacture, I'll see what I can do. Though I don't think it's going to be an easy task we' ll give it a try.

Keep well and shoot straight

Great to hear Hector's weigh-in on the issue.

Will he be able to get OP a resolution? Otherwise Blue Line Solutions is the official servicer of all things Diana now, and their customer service is...well lets say not on the level of Umarex that previously serviced the brand. They do respond to emails eventually, but their parts availability is sparse in my experience which is a little disconcerting for an official repair shop.

i contacted Hector on the Airgun Warriors forum and was hoping that he would post here but he just wrote a message back that i posted here
i consider Hector Medina to as knowledgeable about the Diana sidelever's as anyone and in the pass i have seen him help other jump through the warranty nightmare
but warranties sometime are not worth a thing but in this case you would hope that whoever is now reasonable does the right thing
this should be handled like all warranties to see what will happen
nice at first before you use the 2x4 to get their attention
i would think the why is as important to them as the 300.00 bucks that a new gun would cost a wholesaler
if i had seen some corrosion at the spot welds it would be different, the break was clean and violent
but i am just a post on this forum and have done what i can do at this point
but i will donate the 2x4 when needed bad advertising is expensive and this sort of failure is just that
i own 2- model 52's and a 54 so i do have skin in the game
it is in the posters hands now and the outcome is unknown yet

i will read the post as the thread grows

mike in Washington state

Reactions: JEFFPPC
can i get the serial number to give the Hector
manufacture date 12-2021
did the rifle get to the point of being the outdoor temperature at the time

Hectors post to me

Mike

I had never seen anything like it.

But then it is strongly disadvised to shoot springers in sub-freezing temperatures.

For sure the lubes are in a complete state of inoperation and the seals will also suffer.

The contraction in the spot welds could have been strong enough to create this problem.

Not that DIANA won't stand behind their product. Just a note to let users know that working under these conditions is not what the guns were designed for.

If you can ask the serial number and the date of manufacture, I'll see what I can do. Though I don't think it's going to be an easy task we' ll give it a try.

Keep well and shoot straight
-8C is equal to 17.6F.......Not even close to "sub-freezing temperatures" as he says.......Not much contraction in the spot weld at 17.6 degrees. LOL
This is total B.S.
The man deserves a new 48, those spot welds were not done right, total manufactures defect!