Diana Diana 48 .177 ft. lbs. of energy?

Bought it in .17 to standardize pellet buying. I want to be able to buy inexpensive ammo at Walmart or other local stores. Now wondering if maybe .22 would have been a better choice?
Why would you buy a beautiful, well made, accurate German engineered rifle like a Diana 48, and then want to feed it cheep Walmart pellets? And expect it to perform beautifully?
I’ve found with pellets, like most things, u generally get what u pay for. The Diana 48 is an excellent rifle, and if u find a pellet it likes they are exceptional, but it’s probably not going to be a cheep pellet.
Just my 2 cents worth 😉

Why would you buy a beautiful, well made, accurate German engineered rifle like a Diana 48, and then want to feed it cheep Walmart pellets? And expect it to perform beautifully?
I’ve found with pellets, like most things, u generally get what u pay for. The Diana 48 is an excellent rifle, and if u find a pellet it likes they are exceptional, but it’s probably not going to be a cheep pellet.
Just my 2 cents worth 😉
I've actually got a variety of pellets and once the weather clears up enough I'll carry on with the testing. I have both cheap and fairly expensive ones. My next venture will be pellets over 10 grains.

I've actually got a variety of pellets and once the weather clears up enough I'll carry on with the testing. I have both cheap and fairly expensive ones. My next venture will be pellets over 10 grains.
Hi Deadeye,
As has been said already, the 48 is a very powerful rifle, personally I thought they were closer to 20fpe in .177, but most seem to think around 15 or 17.
You will probably get good results with the heavier 10+ grain pellets.
I owned a 48 for over 20 years and regret that I had to sell it.

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
Hi Deadeye,
As has been said already, the 48 is a very powerful rifle, personally I thought they were closer to 20fpe in .177, but most seem to think around 15 or 17.
You will probably get good results with the heavier 10+ grain pellets.
I owned a 48 for over 20 years and regret that I had to sell it.
Thanks, Once the weather clears and I have everything else out of the way I will try to find a heavy pellet that my gun likes and break out the chrono to find velocity of said pellets.
I'm here mostly to learn and share experiences. This is a great site for that.
That's sad that had to get rid of yours. Can you get another in the future?

Reactions: fishing43
Thanks, Once the weather clears and I have everything else out of the way I will try to find a heavy pellet that my gun likes and break out the chrono to find velocity of said pellets.
I'm here mostly to learn and share experiences. This is a great site for that.
That's sad that had to get rid of yours. Can you get another in the future?
I’m currently looking at a second hand 54, just trying to find out more details about it.
It’s in .177, I was hoping for a .22, but I’m a big fan of .177 so it dosent bother me.
There is some aesthetic damage, but if the price is right I’ll take it 👍🏻

I’m currently looking at a second hand 54, just trying to find out more details about it.
It’s in .177, I was hoping for a .22, but I’m a big fan of .177 so it dosent bother me.
Good Luck! I'll take function over aesthetics every time. Having both is just icing on the cake.
Just for reference I paid $450 for the rifle brand new from Airguns of Arizona, another $160 for an Athalon 3-12x40 Mil Dot scope, $25 for Hawke match mounts and $16 for a 400 pc tin of H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme pellets. So all in all $650.
Today I went to Walmart and picked up a 150 pack of Gamo Silent Cat 10.5 grain pellets for another $16.

177 is a choked caliber, but I'd think the design is good for at least 18 fpe. A 177 R1 with less swept volume realistically produces 17+ fpe.
IMO (you know the one you're fed up with) magnum springers deserve larger calibers. Small caliber large swept volume guns generally have nasty shot cycles and make considerably less energy than their larger caliber models.
What do you mean by "choked?"

What do you mean by "choked?"
Generally speaking large swept volume piston guns are usually more efficient in larger calibers. High start pressures of 177 chokes their output.

Apparently I was wrong about the output of the 177 48. I must have been mixing it up with one of the other Diana side lever beast. My apologies.

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
So I’ve found out the 54 I’m looking at is an October 1996 model, with a large patch of discoloration to the blueing. The owner says it shoots ok.
I want to make him an offer.
Any idea what a 27 year old 54 might be worth???

IMG_7281.jpeg

IMG_7283.jpeg

IMG_7282.jpeg