Diana Diana 48 .177 ft. lbs. of energy?

Can anybody tell me how many foot pounds of energy my Diana 48 chambered in .177 has out of the box?
I did a search that came up empty.
You could use Diana'a claimed speed but you would need to know what pellet weight was used. Can't really answer this unless you know the speed your gun is shooting and what the pellet weight is that generated that speed.

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
You could use Diana'a claimed speed but you would need to know what pellet weight was used. Can't really answer this unless you know the speed your gun is shooting and what the pellet weight is that generated that speed.
Got a chrony, just haven't used it yet. The factory rates it at 1200 fps but I have to assume that they used the lightest alloy pellets available to get those speeds. They sure don't agree with the ones I've read about going through a chronograph. I guess I should figure out what pellets are most accurate in mine first, then stick with them.
Thanks to all for the answers thus far. Keep em coming. :giggle:

Reactions: Gerry52
177 is a choked caliber, but I'd think the design is good for at least 18 fpe. A 177 R1 with less swept volume realistically produces 17+ fpe.
IMO (you know the one you're fed up with) magnum springers deserve larger calibers. Small caliber large swept volume guns generally have nasty shot cycles and make considerably less energy than their larger caliber models.

For the Diana 48/52/54/56 guns in .177 about 16ftlbs to 18ftlbs seems about right for a ballpark guess. This is assuming a healthy full power model with decent seals. To know for sure you'll need a chronograph... as previously mentioned. Also, just shooting various pellet weights/styles/brands can cause a fairly wide change in power produced, so one gun may peak with a certain pellet and another gun of the same model might not.

More weight the pellet has ... it may shoot slower, but FPE rating will go higher .. to a point.
Will agree as a .177 caliber 16-18 fpe range is pretty typical for FAC rated guns.
Bought it in .17 to standardize pellet buying. I want to be able to buy inexpensive ammo at Walmart or other local stores. Now wondering if maybe .22 would have been a better choice?

Bought it in .17 to standardize pellet buying. I want to be able to buy inexpensive ammo at Walmart or other local stores. Now wondering if maybe .22 would have been a better choice?
While never owning one ... tuned & serviced dozens.
They are a magnum springer and when barreled in .177 if you stay with heavier pellets 10G + it should operate the best being smoother and least jumpy.

Can anybody tell me how many foot pounds of energy my Diana 48 chambered in .177 has out of the box?
I did a search that came up empty. :unsure:
Well don,t have factory mine after a vortec kit
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye Dick