• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana 460 magnum accuracy problems

By no means am I a seasoned marksman, or a seasoned air gun shooter for that matter, but I do consider myself competent at holding a rifle properly, aiming at a target, and pulling the trigger. 
ha e had my 460 for about a month now, and even though I haven’t used it every day, I’ve put at least 500 pellets through it. 
my issue is that I can’t get a good group to save my life. I’ve used crossman hps, job exact 15.89, hades, and hunter extremes. Non are any better than the other. I have a cheap scope my father gave me from when he got his powder burner savage 308. It’s a bushnell, but bottom of the barrel. I have it mounted with a utg drooper mount, and non of the mounts are shifting or show signs of loosening. 
am I just that bad? Or could the scope be my problem? The rifle is usually rested at front, and LOOSE

Y in my shoulder. 
any help would be appreciated. 

If that old scope is made in JAPAN it's probably not the scope. Make sure all of your screws are tightened I mean all screws. Cradle the rifle like holding a baby literally let him kick don't fight it and always react exactly the same shot after shot then you'll be fine. Put a cheap $10 and under bubble level on the gun. It may help keep your aim steady too. Same repetition is good. Bubble level works too. Good Luck. Yo!

Springers can be extremely hold sensitive the more powerful they are the more hold sensitive they become. You must hold them in the same place and with the same force every time to get decent accuracy. Like Yo said cup the forearm and hold the gun loosely. You can put it on a sandbag and move the forearm around to find where the gun shoots best. Then hold in that spot to get the most from it. That is once you have the right found pellets. Spring guns will tear many scopes up in a matter of a few shots so you need an airgun rated scope and even they will often fail in short order. I had six scopes fail on my Diana 45 so just started putting cheap lightweight scopes on it and they lasted much longer. I recently purchased one of the Diana Bullseye scope mounts and I have not lost a scope since. They are a spring loaded mount so the scope takes far less abuse from the double recoil of the guns. With a new scope and the Bullseye mount my Diana 54, different gun, shoots 3/4 to one inch groups at 50 yards which is very good for a springer.

I wish you luck with your gun and the pursuit of accuracy from a springer. 

During my 500 pellets, I’ve practiced my hold quite a bit. I’ve found a comfortable position that allows me to cradle the rifle, and as I said before I’m shooting the rifle from a partial rested position. The front of the rifle is on a towel currently leaning on the railing of my deck. It can move without issues, however I have heard that the 460 isn’t very hold sensitive. Hmm. I also bought pellets that were recommended for it. 
the scope is a Chinese made bushnell that came free with a powder burner. Their website doesn’t even list it. I think it’s made as a cheap bundle scope. It seemed to work ok, and sighting it in wasn’t too bad. I just can’t possible see how the poi can move so much between pellets. I’m not sorting them, but I do look at them before loading for noticeable damage. 

I think even "I" could do better than a 2" group at only 25 yards with open sights. Yo!

Lol. My point exactly. I just went out to shoot another string, and similar is happening. However, this time I adjusted the scope, and it would hold a good group of about 4 pellets, then a “flyer would happen, and the poi would change. I’m pretty certain at this point it’s the scope. I’m just hoping it’s not that my hold is changing that drastically after 4 shots!

As they say, here's my two cents, take it for what it's worth. Watch the crosshairs. Theoretically it doesn't matter if the rifle lurches left, right, up or down, as long as it's always the same. In practice the best consistency is usually obtained by finding a position that allows the rifle to recoil straight back. When you do find that position the crosshairs will still shudder, but will stay on the target through the shot. Getting to that point with a springer can take a lot of practice and considerable trial and error.

I've owned the Diana 460 magnum and 470 TH, they're basically the same gun with different stocks. Both shot the H&N 14.66 grain Field Target Trophy the best. The scope Yo recommended, LEUPOLD VX FREEDOM 3-9x EFR AO, is a good one and is what I put on my springers. What I liked about the 460 was the open sights. This gives you the option of yanking the scope off when one is chasing Zero, to see if it's the scope or is it you! I went through 4 scopes on these guns before getting the Leupold's, They are wicked on scopes not designed for a springer!

Mine would shoot quarter sized groups at 30 yards all day long and sometimes I'd get the elusive dime! I killed many a ground squirrel at 50+ yards with them. They pack a wallop!

Good luck.