• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana 430L just received, and small problem.

Well like some of you I also didn't "need" another airgun but I just couldn't pass on the AoA $149 sale on these Diana430L rifles. I got mine last Thursday, cleaned the barrel, mounted the scope, ran some chrony shots, cleaned the barrel again and then had to wait until Friday night to sight it in. It was going really very well. Velocity averaged 817 over 30 shots with cphps. Group sizes at 25 yds around 3/8" for probably 10 groups or so with signs of improvement early on, then upon firing a shot the cocking lever popped out of the detent. I thought maybe I didn't get it seated all the way last cycle. Well it became more and more frequent and then happened with almost every shot. This is probably during a 100 shot or so sitting. I know I should send it back but I always want to fix stuff. Has anyone else had this happen with theirs? Thanks in advance. 

PS this rifle is very nicely made, I can't believe anyone would complain about cocking effort and the shot cycle is really tame.

Tony

Hmmm. Put a square against it and make sure you have not bent it. That is the first thing I would have a look at. There is an arm on the side lever guns which can be bent that causes that. I don't think there is such a linkage on underlever guns but might be...

Just a guess from a clueless guy who wants to help.

Well for those interested, It was a bent cocking lever. I checked it with a straight edge first. A slight adjustment with some soft jaws in a vise remedied the situation. Now I feel like I need to be really careful when cocking because I wasnt being rough with it. I own three other springers, all break barrels. since 1985, so I am not new to using the proper amount of force to work the actions. Unless someone bent it before it reached my hands? Thank you for the advise guys! 

Tony

I also just purchased one of these from AOA, and I must say it took me a while to realize that just because the safety lever popped up, it didn't mean the rifle was fully cocked. There I was for almost an hour, trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to fire, and trying so hard to push the safety in further. Then finally I pulled harder on the lever and heard the click. Finally it shoots very well. I will play close attention to how I pull the lever down on the Diana. Hard to imagine the steel used for that area would be that soft.

I can say I much prefer my HW77 for ease of cocking. My 97 seems to require a bit more muscle to cock, but I believe after a tune up, it will be just fine. But my 77 with the open sights is really nice, even for these old eyes, I do quite well in my basement range.