RWS DIANA 34 PG4-STEEL Tune-Kit HO

I have a 20 year old RWS 34 in .177 cal and this kit looks interesting, the company claims 1,200 fps with Crosman 7.9 gr HP's which would put it at the same power level as a .177 Diana 350 Magnum? Are these claims realistic and does this kit offer any improvement to the harshness of the shot cycle? Looking forward to your feedback thanks:)

Is the kit good quality? my rifle is really harsh it always has been and even if the claims fall short it would be nice to have a smoother shot cycle without losing power like some of the other tunes I have read about. I have other rifles, a Diana 350 .22 and my beloved Beeman R9 .22, I just want to freshen up my 34 without losing power and hopefully make it smoother to shoot.

My 34 came with a PG4 (maybe a PG3 at the time?) and I didn't like it. There was a ton of dragging noise from the cocking lever on the steel outer guide and no amount of polishing fixed it. Ended of switching to an ARH spring but still used the Vortek piston seal.
I'm not opposed to trying different parts as long as it doesn't get too complicated and I maintain the original power level. So you used everything in the Vortec kit except the spring?

A bad piston seal and or breech seal can absolutely make the shot cycle harsh. Have you put your gun over a chrono recently?
I don't have a chronograph, but it has plenty of power It's not grouping as well as it once did but I attribute that to the 4x32A/O UTG scope that I have mounted on it, just recently I lost the windage capability with it and I need to replace it, but the rifle does jolt a lot when you fire it. The breech seal looks good, I haven't taken the rifle apart to check the piston seal, it does make a grinding kind of noise when I cock it, well not really a grinding noise more like a grating noise, things like this are hard to describe in text. If I could just get a complete set of OEM rebuild parts I'd be happy.

I don't have a chronograph, but it has plenty of power It's not grouping as well as it once did but I attribute that to the 4x32A/O UTG scope that I have mounted on it, just recently I lost the windage capability with it and I need to replace it, but the rifle does jolt a lot when you fire it. The breech seal looks good, I haven't taken the rifle apart to check the piston seal, it does make a grinding kind of noise when I cock it, well not really a grinding noise more like a grating noise, things like this are hard to describe in text. If I could just get a complete set of OEM rebuild parts I'd be happy.
If you want OEM and can’t find here try T. W. Chambers. If you go after market I’ll second the vote for ARH spring and guide with Vortek seal. Or even with the OEM seal if it’s in good shape. That’s what’s in my D52 and it’s very smooth. Solid, but smooth.

Is the kit good quality? my rifle is really harsh it always has been and even if the claims fall short it would be nice to have a smoother shot cycle without losing power like some of the other tunes I have read about. I have other rifles, a Diana 350 .22 and my beloved Beeman R9 .22, I just want to freshen up my 34 without losing power and hopefully make it smoother to shoot.
You can insert the Diana 48 mainspring and grease-sleeve the piston with the proper thickness PE (from a shampoo bottle or so), remove all grease in the compression chamber and reduce the TP to 3 mm and you're getting about smooth15 fpe @ 0.177 without any vibes. You can try and insert the titan N0. 4 spring for higher power which I wouldn't suggest.
For more power, maybe 19 or 20 fpe you'd rather change barrel to 0.22" with the Diana 48 spring

But anyone should try this kit anyway and share his experience. Looks promising

Last edited:
I recently put this kit in to my 20 year old Diana 34 date stamped 10 00 T01 trigger. I purchased the Diana 34 PG4-STEEL Tune-Kit HO with moly seal and new breech seal. With a spring vise rig it was really easy to work on the rifle. The Vortek piston seal was difficult to install on the piston, lubed it with some rubbing alcohol and it slid into position nicely.
Here are the performance numbers: My elevation is 1000ft, temps were about 72 when testing.
Pretune, original seal and broken spring - CPH 7.9gr avg 763 StdDev 10.89 Spread 32, H&N 8.64gr avg 720.2 StdDev 5.03 Spread 16
Vortek HO tune w/Vortek seal - CPH 7.9gr avg 857.7 StdDev 9.23 Spread 32, H&N 8.64gr avg 800.36 StdDev 13.92 Spread 45
Vortek HO tune w/ original seal - CPH 7.9gr avg 887.07 StdDev 8.16 Spread 31, H&N avg 839.40 StdDev 7.26 Spread 25
These chrono numbers were after I had put 200 pellets through after installing the new spring and seal. I think my rifle does not like the Vortek seal, maybe the compression chamber needs honing. I am getting more consistent numbers with the old original seal. But advertised fps is wild, maybe my rifle just does not like the Vortek tune but the shot cycle is better than with the broken spring so there is that.

I recently put this kit in to my 20 year old Diana 34 date stamped 10 00 T01 trigger. I purchased the Diana 34 PG4-STEEL Tune-Kit HO with moly seal and new breech seal. With a spring vise rig it was really easy to work on the rifle. The Vortek piston seal was difficult to install on the piston, lubed it with some rubbing alcohol and it slid into position nicely.
Here are the performance numbers: My elevation is 1000ft, temps were about 72 when testing.
Pretune, original seal and broken spring - CPH 7.9gr avg 763 StdDev 10.89 Spread 32, H&N 8.64gr avg 720.2 StdDev 5.03 Spread 16
Vortek HO tune w/Vortek seal - CPH 7.9gr avg 857.7 StdDev 9.23 Spread 32, H&N 8.64gr avg 800.36 StdDev 13.92 Spread 45
Vortek HO tune w/ original seal - CPH 7.9gr avg 887.07 StdDev 8.16 Spread 31, H&N avg 839.40 StdDev 7.26 Spread 25
These chrono numbers were after I had put 200 pellets through after installing the new spring and seal. I think my rifle does not like the Vortek seal, maybe the compression chamber needs honing. I am getting more consistent numbers with the old original seal. But advertised fps is wild, maybe my rifle just does not like the Vortek tune but the shot cycle is better than with the broken spring so there is that.
Keep shooting it. Both the new seal and spring will settle in plus you'll burn off any excess lube that may have been pushed forward when you reinstalled the piston.

Also, you lubed the piston seal with rubbing alcohol? That doesn't sound right. Moly paste (a very light coat) is the more typical lube there.

Keep shooting it. Both the new seal and spring will settle in plus you'll burn off any excess lube that may have been pushed forward when you reinstalled the piston.

Also, you lubed the piston seal with rubbing alcohol? That doesn't sound right. Moly paste (a very light coat) is the more typical lube there.
I allowed 200 shots before testing and I stated that I only used rubbing alcohol to install the piston seal onto the piston as it was giving me trouble. I followed Pellets & Piston YT video for the install process and degreased and lubed accordingly. It was clear the Vortek seal was not a good fit for my rifle.

I allowed 200 shots before testing and I stated that I only used rubbing alcohol to install the piston seal onto the piston as it was giving me trouble. I followed Pellets & Piston YT video for the install process and degreased and lubed accordingly. It was clear the Vortek seal was not a good fit for my rifle.
Gotcha and that makes more sense! Kevin is a good dude and his channel is fantastic. Was the seal too tight or too loose?

It still may take more than 200 shots though. Break in period can take a tin or two to really settle in, especially so if the piston seal was a bit tight and you didn't resize it prior to install.

While I think your numbers are a little low, they may improve with more shooting. In regards to Vortek's claim of 1,200 fps with the 7.9 CHP's I think it would be wise of the person who owns Vortek to remove it from his website. I just ordered a Vortek piston seal for my 34 I hope I don't lose power as well. I'm thinking I should have just bought OEM replacement parts, the rifle has worked just fine for 23 years with them. I don't have a chronograph right now, but years ago I remember chronographing the 7.9 CHP's at 920-930ish FPS. Although I won't have precise numbers I should be able to tell if I've lost over 100 fps right away. I'll post again when I get my new seal installed and let you know. Thank you for your post by the way, I hope your rifle's performance improves.