• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Diana Diana 34 .177 --- What Have I got?

I had so much enjoyment out of restoring and improving the old 392PA pumper, that I have been looking for another older airgun to restore. Not knowing for sure the vintage or particulars about this specific air rifle I figured $220.00 dont buy much these days, so I made the offer, and the seller accepted it.

I know a lot of folks love the Model 34 Diana for its low cost reliable performance. But I don't know how far that goes back? I liked this stock even without the pad the newer guns have, mainly for the cheekpiece, and the Monte Carlo. I figured on installing the Vortek PG4-HO tune kit and new seals in it. As well as taking the wood finish down to bare wood and refinishing it with a final Satin finish.

My concerns are will the tune kit work? I am not sure if this is the T-01 or T-05 trigger, I know its not the T-06, which I am fine with any of the three, they are all plenty good for a field gun to me.

I need some guidance here, will this Tune kit work? Is their better tune kits for Performance and accuracy with 7.8 to 11 grain pellets? but most of all, are these older Made In Germany models as good as the new? I know this is a Made In Germany rifle, so,,, how did I do, and what do I do know? Thanks ahead for any light on this new venture I'm partaking in!!
s-l1600 (1) Jpeg.jpg
s-l1600 Jpeg.jpg

s-l1600 (4) Jpeg.jpg

s-l1600 (3) Jpeg.jpg

Tune kits will help.I use JM tune kits, but the Vortek is different, never-the-less it is a good one also. That springer is very popular and there is much written about tuning it , also trigger work is not hard, just with a trigger be careful not to lose parts, do not take it apart unless you have a diagram or are more a tuned than me, ok that is :ROFLMAO:not hard

Month and year it was made are those 4 numbers to the right of where it says Made in Germany. Will help sort out which trigger it has. Very easy to work on and plenty of info here on the forum for the asking. Have one myself, dated 02 02 and a T01. Doesn't seem to be very pellet picky but I've only tried 3 or 4 kinds of pellets in it.
I have a kit for it I got from ARH but have yet to tinker with it.
The D34.jpg

Month and year it was made are those 4 numbers to the right of where it says Made in Germany. Will help sort out which trigger it has. Very easy to work on and plenty of info here on the forum for the asking. Have one myself, dated 02 02 and a T01. Doesn't seem to be very pellet picky but I've only tried 3 or 4 kinds of pellets in it.
I have a kit for it I got from ARH but have yet to tinker with it.
View attachment 463283
I have been doing all my custom firearms work for decades, spare the chambering of my barrels. Handguns and rifles, and these triggers used in the 34 are all pretty simple. I have had my 54 down and back together, and completely rebuilt the old pumper I mentioned. Even had to to respring the hammer to let enough air out of the exhaust valve after retuning it with the Mach 1 kit in it 20 years later.

I am not sure but I think this is older than the one you show Steve but if you can install the ARH kit in yours without any modification I'm sure I will be ok with the Vortec. I'll know for sure tomorrow as I plan on talking to Tom. I looked at that ARH and might just try it, 8 grain pellets at around 825 fps or 10 grain around 750 fps is my goal? Wanting 12 to 13 fpe.

I see you don't have yours scoped, but I have a set of Burris Signature Z rings setting in wait for another 4-16x50 Hawke Airmax on its way to set in it. My favorite springer scope, but I hope the RWS droop compensating base for RWS t-06 air guns will work on this, since it says it is for RWS T-06 trigger guns???? Anyone know if I screwed up ordering that?

As for refinishing stocks wood as well as fiberglass I have done quite a few ofer decades. This one should be easy, probably just use boiled linseed oil and sealed with Defthane satin urethane. But if the grain needs woke up I have some homemade stain I will turn to mixed in with the Linseed oil.

I'm just so thrilled with the 54 and at 70 always looking for projects to keep me busy on rainy days, I couldn't resist this rifle. Mainly because I knew it was close to an antique, (25 year vintage)

I had so much enjoyment out of restoring and improving the old 392PA pumper, that I have been looking for another older airgun to restore. Not knowing for sure the vintage or particulars about this specific air rifle I figured $220.00 dont buy much these days, so I made the offer, and the seller accepted it.

I know a lot of folks love the Model 34 Diana for its low cost reliable performance. But I don't know how far that goes back? I liked this stock even without the pad the newer guns have, mainly for the cheekpiece, and the Monte Carlo. I figured on installing the Vortek PG4-HO tune kit and new seals in it. As well as taking the wood finish down to bare wood and refinishing it with a final Satin finish.

My concerns are will the tune kit work? I am not sure if this is the T-01 or T-05 trigger, I know its not the T-06, which I am fine with any of the three, they are all plenty good for a field gun to me.

I need some guidance here, will this Tune kit work? Is their better tune kits for Performance and accuracy with 7.8 to 11 grain pellets? but most of all, are these older Made In Germany models as good as the new? I know this is a Made In Germany rifle, so,,, how did I do, and what do I do know? Thanks ahead for any light on this new venture I'm partaking in!!
View attachment 463252View attachment 463253

View attachment 463254
View attachment 463255
I had one years ago; it was an extremely accurate springer.

Reactions: Wildcatter
I'm NOT an expert on newer Diana designs like the 34 but it looks like a T01 to me?

The gun should have a "T" number stamped or etched near the logo on top of the receiver (hidden by the scope?). As noted above the four small digits on the left rear receiver are month/year of construction (which I can't read in your photo) and I think the first two digits of the serial are also the year (if I'm right...thus 2001 and definitely a T01).

The T01 trigger is a fascinating design. It's basically the classic ball-sear trigger used on adult-sized post-war Diana rifles up to the early 80's, but "packaged" and modified to add a safety. AFAIK, all the triggers used on the 34 are mounted in a module that comes out in one piece, and none of them make any changes to the spring and piston's geometry, so any tune kit should fit. I recently redid a 34 T01 for a friend and ended up with an ARH spring and a Vortek seal, which actually worked great together.

I look forward to seeing how your stock work comes out! Please post pics when you can.

Last edited:
That fine looking 34 you have has the T05 trigger. I have that trigger in my 36. The top of the tube may be laser etched instead of the roll stamping with the logo and "T0#". I have a Vortek seal in mine with a ARH GRT spring kit. It makes 14ftlb with a SD of 2. And its got a bazillion shots on the spring(10k?). Super accurate gun and likes most pellets.

I have been doing all my custom firearms work for decades, spare the chambering of my barrels. Handguns and rifles, and these triggers used in the 34 are all pretty simple. I have had my 54 down and back together, and completely rebuilt the old pumper I mentioned. Even had to to respring the hammer to let enough air out of the exhaust valve after retuning it with the Mach 1 kit in it 20 years later.

I am not sure but I think this is older than the one you show Steve but if you can install the ARH kit in yours without any modification I'm sure I will be ok with the Vortec. I'll know for sure tomorrow as I plan on talking to Tom. I looked at that ARH and might just try it, 8 grain pellets at around 825 fps or 10 grain around 750 fps is my goal? Wanting 12 to 13 fpe.

I see you don't have yours scoped, but I have a set of Burris Signature Z rings setting in wait for another 4-16x50 Hawke Airmax on its way to set in it. My favorite springer scope, but I hope the RWS droop compensating base for RWS t-06 air guns will work on this, since it says it is for RWS T-06 trigger guns???? Anyone know if I screwed up ordering that?

As for refinishing stocks wood as well as fiberglass I have done quite a few ofer decades. This one should be easy, probably just use boiled linseed oil and sealed with Defthane satin urethane. But if the grain needs woke up I have some homemade stain I will turn to mixed in with the Linseed oil.

I'm just so thrilled with the 54 and at 70 always looking for projects to keep me busy on rainy days, I couldn't resist this rifle. Mainly because I knew it was close to an antique, (25 year vintage)
I have 2 D34's. The .177 mentioned above had the RWS mount and a Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 on it. I took the scope off planning to open it up to tinker with before life and a couple other rifles got in the way so that project is still on the "going to get to that one of these days list....lol.
I also have a custom made by Diana D34K Premium .20 caliber with the T06 trigger. Hector at Connecticut Custom Airguns came up with the idea years ago, got a group buy put together for shooters that were interested, then got Diana to build the rifles with Premium stocks and the L-W .20 cal barrels he bought and supplied. After emailing him to ask about them, he said he actually still had a few on the shelf from shooters who backed out of their deals and from the extras he had to buy himself to meet the 30 rifle minimum for Diana to build them.
A few more emails traded, a deal was agreed on and I now own #15 of the 30 rifles that were built. That one I've tinkered with since the power seemed a bit low at barely 12fpe and when I got it apart, found some gouges in the piston seal so I spent the cash to buy both the ARH and Vortek kits and seals and started testing after I got them. Other's mileage may well vary, but the best combination for me was the ARH kit with the Vortek seal after testing with the combinations possible.
Someone with a .177 and either of the kits will have to chime in with the numbers they're getting, but mine in .20 caliber averages 750ish and gets a touch over 14fpe with H&N FTT 11.42gr and 65oish and a touch over 13fpe with the heavier JSB 13.73gr.
The D34K .20. Scope is an Airmax 4-12x40 in Hawke rings.
D34-20cal-1.jpgD34-20cal-4.jpgD34-20cal-7.png

Thanks everyone for all the comments on these various 34 revisions, and your hands on experience with the different rifles!

I just talked at length to Tom and yes, they all except the same kits one to the other. As well as no worry using the RWS droop compensating scope base. I have the HO kit coming with his seals as well, and he confirmed what you said Steve-52 about fpe, and speeds. 14 fpe should be right in my ballpark once everything is cleaned up and installed, I love that .20 that is cool!!

I found the same scope I have on my 54 Airking Pro on sale at Cameraland for mothers day. It ha been spot on using it on the 54 for over 1000 shots, spot on and holding dead nuts zero. So this will wear the 4-16-50 Airmax WA IR scope as well on it. I have the Burris Signature rings on the 54 setup after talking to a good guy on shooters forum. He is into BR rimfire, and states the Burris inserts used in their Signature rings add a bit more forgiveness to the scopes on these bigger recoiling springers. Soaking up more of the shock before it gets to the scope?

Don't know if that is true, but makes sense. Since I am very fond of these rings and used them on the 54 to take advantage of the compensating inserts for more elevation adjustment for further out if I want, I am setting the 34 up the same way. _10 under the front ring with the +10 on top, and +10 under the rear ring with _10 on top. Then stretched as far apart as I can space them on the tube to fit the mount and my eye relief.

As for the Birch stock, ya pretty sure it is. Like you said Mycapt65 they are stubborn when it comes to getting some contrast in the grain. Dont really care to darken the entire stock but do want to expose the contrast in what grain they allow. I have used coffee grounds heated in boiled Linseed oil with some stain pigment I make from old black walnut hulls to strain and then rub down a few coats and actually gain a bit where store bought stains seem to do very little. Another ting some have done is take the filament out of a magic marker the color you are aiming for and let it soak in the linseed oil, then rub it in and let the amount of coats determine the effect. Here is the old Crossman 392PA I just refurbished and finished, and this stock was one of the most stubborn I have dealt with getting it to attain some contrast. This might be something other than Birch, but the forearm is different from the original as this has the Mach1 billet cocker from being extended with a new piece of wood when they shortened the main stock years ago. It grows on me the more I see it.
1000001661.jpg

1000001662.jpg

Not considering myself an airgun historian as much as I do consider myself the (living) Airgun Voice Of Experience, forgive me if my commentary contains some errors (I mean, not just the normal flaws).

Always considering the Dianas basically econo-German airguns (a misnomer, I realize), gotta confess I've been too much a snob to have as much experience with them as most others. However for what it's worth-

One reason I've shunned Diana springers is I'm a walnut snob, and Diana has shunned walnut. The ONE exception I'm aware of is their Model 38; also offered in 'walnut STAINED hardwood' like all their other springers not stocked in genuine PLASTIC.🤮 Consequently I've wanted a genuine WALNUT Model 38 for some years, but several months ago settled for a clean walnut-STAINED Beech Model 38.

Finding it performs beyond my expectations, I installed a Maccari spring and piston seal to more fully realize its potentials. Then even more impressed, it took a while to decide to risk its accuracy by taking a hack-saw to the long barrel.😱 Thankfully she lost no accuracy to the hack-job. A muzzle shroud completed my vision of the perfect (walnut-STAINED Beech) Diana Model 38K (carbine). Di loves 7.87 grain JSB Exacts; keeping the shots almost touching at 50 yards when I do my part (correctly).

Diana 38K.jpg

As far as I know (or think), the Model 34 is the economy model evolution of Dianas powerful line of break-barrel sporters that date back to the Models 45, 36, 38, and now 34; in chronological order. To answer your question, "are these older Made In Germany models as good as the new?", the answer is yes, better. Go ahead; take a few seconds to react.😡🤬😤

If for no other reason, lack of ANY butt-pad is proof-positive the 34 is the econo-model of Diana's econo-magnum-springer line. That it may or may not be otherwise as good as the older 3 and 4 series models may be moot to your question quoted above.

Good thing, since I have no experience whatsoever with a Model 34. FWIW, I really like the shape of your 34 stock. And assuming the innards are pretty much the same as my 38, suffice to say installing a Maccari kit was as easy for me as working on a springer gets. Far as I'm concerned it totally transforms the firing behavior for the better. Attached below are my pertinent testing notes, all after installing the Maccari kit-

View attachment Diana 38 testing.pdf

P.S.- In proof-reading this post I see the attached testing contains an error in the 7.87 grain JSB line. These are the correct numbers-
7.87 gr JSB, 15.5” barrel, 15 shot string- Low= 889, Hi= 898, ES= 9, SD= 2.8, Average= 894 FPS/14.0 FP

Last edited:
I have 2 D34's. The .177 mentioned above had the RWS mount and a Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 on it. I took the scope off planning to open it up to tinker with before life and a couple other rifles got in the way so that project is still on the "going to get to that one of these days list....lol.
I also have a custom made by Diana D34K Premium .20 caliber with the T06 trigger. Hector at Connecticut Custom Airguns came up with the idea years ago, got a group buy put together for shooters that were interested, then got Diana to build the rifles with Premium stocks and the L-W .20 cal barrels he bought and supplied. After emailing him to ask about them, he said he actually still had a few on the shelf from shooters who backed out of their deals and from the extras he had to buy himself to meet the 30 rifle minimum for Diana to build them.
A few more emails traded, a deal was agreed on and I now own #15 of the 30 rifles that were built. That one I've tinkered with since the power seemed a bit low at barely 12fpe and when I got it apart, found some gouges in the piston seal so I spent the cash to buy both the ARH and Vortek kits and seals and started testing after I got them. Other's mileage may well vary, but the best combination for me was the ARH kit with the Vortek seal after testing with the combinations possible.
Someone with a .177 and either of the kits will have to chime in with the numbers they're getting, but mine in .20 caliber averages 750ish and gets a touch over 14fpe with H&N FTT 11.42gr and 65oish and a touch over 13fpe with the heavier JSB 13.73gr.
The D34K .20. Scope is an Airmax 4-12x40 in Hawke rings.
View attachment 463350View attachment 463351View attachment 463352

That's a great Diana, Steve. Great numbers, too!