• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dialing in your scope.

I borrowed this quote from another thread because I didn't want to hijack that thread:
sirk
if you are one of those guys who can work with mildots, to compensate for the pellet drop- sure they are great!
If you are one of those idiots all over youtube who just place the middle of crosshairs on the target, no. avoid them.

I'm confused. When you dial in your scope, don't you adjust it so your pellet hits at the crosshairs? Why would you dial in something else, and then aim high? What am I missing here? 

Using holdover/holdunder keeps you from having to adjust the turret for every different distance. Imagine yourself in a hunting situation with an animal at 20 yards then 2 minutes later at 80, If you know the holdover and under and memorize it or have a card you can leave the scope alone. What sirk is talking about is neither using mil-dots for hold over or adjusting the scope for distance and just putting it center and hoping it hits every time. Which of course will hit high or low depending on distance.

Hopefully that makes sense, I have my scope zeroed at 50m and know which is good for 5m to 50 all right on zero, beyond 50 I need to hold over. 

I draw a mildot on a notebook. Shoot at 25 yards. Then at 50 yards and adjust for zero with a pcp, 35 yards with a springer. Mark the notebook at center mildot, walk towards target, at 45 yards holding on center md, shoot a group, mark on notebook. Do this at 40, 35, 30, 25, 20,15, and 10 yards.
In time I shoot at 50, walk back to 55yds, mark it, then 60, 65, 70, 75, etc.This has worked for me for years. When I receive my RAW, and have to buy a new scope, this is my plan again. I hope to take it to 125 yards, then stretch her legs out further. The ground squirrels are in trouble.

Hi Arti, airguns pellets have very pronounced curve shaped trajectories. Thats why there is almost non existent point blank range so to say. 
Basically if you zero your airguns and scope, it will intersect the middle of crosshairs ONLY at one or two points exactly.

Airguns do not shoot where you point your crosshairs. Only if you dial in the turrets but this is very unlikely in hunting scenario and mildot reticle videos.
I can tell you in few seconds who knows to shoot his gun, just by looking at the footage and where the individual places the centre crosshairs or the mildots

Laser guns shoot straight. These guys should get those.
lol

I myself just leave my scope 112 power which I use for hft and shoot 325 round groups from 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 then I go and check my zero at 25 yards and then from that point on I will go from increments of 5 all the way to 55 yards all on the same Target and then before I even move the target to the next yardage mark I will look through my scope and proceeded to transfixed from what I see in my lens on to the paper