Devastated Starling…

They have been coming in to the suet cakes and getting comfortable, there were maybe a dozen out there today. This one came in alone and volunteered to be my first pest bird kill, as you can see it simply crumples at the shot. Atomic XR .22 with Arken Zulus atop sending CPHPs starling at 20 yards.

Great shot ! I’m ready thinking about a non lrf zulus. At how many fpe are diu shooting starlings with out of that brk?
My Zulus is the basic non LRF model. My Atomics are sending the CPHPs at 725 fps for just under 17 fpe. I’ve taken starlings out to 50+ yards with both my Atomics, for me they have been outstanding little guns…

Reactions: fishing43 and M777
Do you have any luck with them coming back? My experience is you get one shot and the rest take off. I'm wondering if a quieter gun would make a difference.
My technique is to bag the loners as soon as they present. When there’s a group shooting one “will” educate “some” of the remaining birds. Even with a quieter gun if you drop enough from a group the rest get wise and “wing it” pun intended. Yes, they come back…

Do you put specific seed for starlings or just bird seed? The first option on Amazon is a peanut butter one.
I used to put out oil sunflower seeds in feeders, but that got expensive and eaten quickly. Inadvertently I noticed that the suet cakes lasted longer. And they attracted lots of birds, the ones messily pecking away? Drop lots of pieces for the ground feeders below, so lots of action on the cheap. And eight pack of cakes $12-$15 is good for a month’s time. A plus is that the squirrels don’t mess around with the wire caged cakes. I only feed the birds in winter, Spring through Fall I maintain a bird bath. I love the activity in the yard.