• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Detuning a PPC

Absolutely. I've done it successfully on a couple. I've also run into limitations that weren't worth the $ (to me) to overcome. Cricket at 12fpe worked fine (both in .177 and .22) Mutant reg wasn't real consistent below 16-18FPE, in general FX barrels haven't done well at lowered speeds for me even though I had no problem getting the reg to be consistent...

Pressure and its delivery (the later can cover thing things I've never touched) are the basics. If regulated, you can get speeds down by lowering the reg pressure and adjusting the HS to a new happy place. There are usually some other impacts, like a little higher SD/Spread depending how far you go with plenum space and valve springs etc.

What rifle do have in mind?

Alteros reg in the Huntsman? Just a guess but I was going to do the same with one but ending up selling it before I got there.

Reg pressure can def be lowered, the LW barrel should do fine at lowered speeds, the hammer spring tension though may require a different spring on altering the one you have. I don't recall those being adjustable as easily. I did find some write-ups on 'adjusting' the spring tension a while back.

While it didn't seem to difficult overall, it did seem time consuming, especially if you would need to go back in and make more changes .

I miss my factory 12fpe MK4 more than ay other gun I've sold.

I understand. There are ways to do most anything but you have to consider the end results and the path to get there. I don't do that much indoor hunting and I'll just keep the HW 30 for that use and maybe just buy a good 10 meter gun for targets in side the house. I just thought if it was a real easy job and easily reversible might be worth considering.

I have 4 tunes on my .25 cal that are built into SSG's that I swap out. I can tune from 12-60 fpe this way.

-Matt

The Huntsman is a bit different in that you can't easily add an adjuster since the safety is built into the end-cap and rotates.

The "easily reversible" would be the hard part of his needs.

To accomplish what I did with my ssg carriers that retain tunes, I had to fabricate the ssgs, have a custom new end cap and adjuster made, for it to work, which I believe can be done with any airgun with enough ingenuity...jmo

Reducing the regulator setpoint (and reducing hammer strike accordingly) is definitely the best way. But you can do it without that if you can sufficiently restrict the transfer port. For those rifles which have a restrictor screw, you can dial back and forth between low and high power with no other changes. It won’t be very efficient at low power however.

if you were to try simply reducing the hammer strike, you’ll get something very efficient (thus quiet) but with a high extreme spread...which may or may not be a problem at modest distances like out to 20 yards.

On older Daystates, they had a screw or bolt in the center of the striker that allowed adjustment of the stroke. Most could be adjusted without removing the hammer, but you might want to take it out to look at it and measure it, anyway. Note that there is usually a locking grub screw for the stroke adjuster. On my Huntsman, .010 " change in stroke was good for 10 fps leaving the hammer tension and reg pressure the same. Stayed very consistent... low ES but the preferred pellet may change. Not sure how extreme a change you could make but given your secondary volume won't change... no matter what, you may run into problems lowering reg pressure much. You might be ok with a small change in reg pressure and hammer tension and the rest with stroke adjustment. Just take note of the initial settings so you can go back simply.

Bob 

I can only suggest this for your case for indoor shooting as to not damage indoor structures.

If you are not content with your HW30 and can accept just a little lower power with laser like precision

then buy a 10 meter FWB300s or SSP such as a FWB 600-603 series or Anshutz 2001-2002 SSP.

Only advantage for the SSPs in your case is that they can be made to shoot dead silent.

They are slower shooting too by around 50fps compared to the 300s which shoots almost as fast

as an HW30S. I think the HW30 may be slower than an HW30s so the FWB 300s may be same or hotter

than yours? They do as low as 575fps to as high as 640fps on average. Hottest out of the box I heard of

was doing 715fps which is a non typical rarity and probably one of its kind. Tune springs are no longer

sold for the 300s due to excessive wear on the gun and according to Jim Maccari, not recommended to

try to bump up their power when he discontinued selling his Arctic spring kits for the 300s.

Cocking effort is more substantial for the SSPs compared to a 300s which is almost effortless.

You will probably not want to ever shoot your HW30 after shooting a scoped FWB 300s which is the

cheapest to buy out of what is mentioned and typically has the most power out of the bunch.

It is a springer that shoots one hole accurate all day long and is built like a tank super easy to cock

and relatively quiet to shoot. I have shot one out to 50 yards and would highly recommend one.

Be sure you buy one that has been recently resealed then it should last you a lifetime.

Be sure to buy adjustable or drooper mounts too.

Walt

NAW I think I may need to retract what I said about buying an FWB300s because you will end up blaming me for it because it can get downright just too boring to shoot because you simply can't miss with it and the holes you drill won't be a ragged hole, it will be ONE HOLE so you would think you miss the target completely after the first shot. I have let a friend who have never shot any airgun in his life shoot mine and he dispatched all of the problematic birds in a storage warehouse calling all headshots without any misses from 10 to 26 yards after I explained to him the holdover mildot point at the various lasered distances. No damage to the roofing or structure at all aside from silver specs using VOGEL match wadcutters.

Another interesting fact is that the FWB300s I have shoots just about everything that is fed through it accurately which I can not confidently say about other guns.

Walt

Since Daystate uses Lothar Walther barrels you should still be able to get very good consistent accuracy when shooting it at a lower velocity.

You should be able do it without having to modify your rifle in any way which would require you to tether it to a regulated air tank and run it at a pressure below your rifle's set reg pressure. Guessing gun reg set at around 2000psi in your case so you need to start at 1000psi and maybe adjust even lower if needed over a chrony until you get the lowerer desired fps you seek. The gun would have to be connected to your high pressure tether line to your 4500psi mini paintball type tank or 3000psi benjamin tank with an adjustable regulated output with a bleed valve or your big CF tank if you plan on shooting it off of a bench.

OR you can do without one with an adjustable regulated output using larger bottle similar to a Benjamin 3000psi fill bottle tether it to your rifle and run it at 1000 psi unregulated conected to your gun and shoot it down to 1000psi then there you go!

If you have removable bottle guns such as Air Force Talon you can rig up something with the screw in bottle filler fitting to make it work with a Talon bottle for instance you just need a high pressure hose to connect to your rifle. Worst case scenairo a scuba head with threaded adaptor and the A-Clamp with gauge and bleed valve.

Daystate uses HUMA regs so they should be able to handle the constant lower pressure fine as a reg bypass IMO.

Good news is that after you tether it for the lower velocity I can bet that the cheap Walmart CPHPs will shoot very well and can't beat good shooting cheap ammo! Many other types of ammo you would never think would shoot worth of beans in your gun may just suddenly shoot good.

CA

Good suggestions fellows. I owned a FWB 300s ten years or so ago. I sold that rifle probably for a third of what it's worth today. It is a sweet gun. I had a custom stock made for it. Used it mostly for off hand practice in my basement.

I'm going to just use me HW 30 . Just curious about what could be done .

I'm supposed to get the Huntsman tomorrow. Bought it used from the forum classified. Priced right enough that I felt I had to give it a try. Trading guns is half the fun. The continued effort to find the best of the best .

I haven't found a bad one yet. Daystate and FWB are hard to top and HW is right up there. 

I'm fortunate that I can play with these big boy toys. Something to do in my advancing years (72) John 

a PP700-SA for example has all what you need

1. open access to regulator screw

2. open access to the transferport

3. adjustment to hammer spring is inside the handle (not too bad to get to) but you want to touch that last

no need to wait for a dreamline, if you mess around with PCPs just buy chinese 

LOL

Regarding the hammer spring adjuster... thats the last thing you want to touch really, all it does it kips the balance of the setup hammer spring and regulator. best is to adjust last

if you dont setup that right, you will be chasing around your tail and the POI

the hammer spring adjuster is the mess up adjuster for most who dont have a clue what are they doing.

a PP700-SA for example has all what you need

1. open access to regulator screw

2. open access to the transferport

3. adjustment to hammer spring is inside the handle (not too bad to get to) but you want to touch that last

no need to wait for a dreamline, if you mess around with PCPs just buy chinese 

LOL

Regarding the hammer spring adjuster... thats the last thing you want to touch really, all it does it kips the balance of the setup hammer spring and regulator. best is to adjust last

if you dont setup that right, you will be chasing around your tail and the POI

the hammer spring adjuster is the mess up adjuster for most who dont have a clue what are they doing.

Classic example of Internet Advise being free...............................you get what you pay for.

Not sure how, if you don't touch the HS you will actually know what the MAX fps is for each regulator setting.