• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Determining Ideal Slug Size Diameter?

I’ve decided to purchase a set of Corbin dies and swage my own slugs for my Taipan Veteran Long .22. I’ve shot about every commercially available slug through the gun trying to identify the diameter that the gun likes best but have hit a snag. So far the best results I get are from .2155 diameter slugs. I suspect that an even smaller diameter might even be better but finding smaller diameter slugs is not possible.

I recently pushed several slugs down the barrel and have determined that the breech end of the barrel is .2155 inch diameter sized but the choke at the end of the barrel is only .214 inches in diameter. When determining the ideal slug size, which measurement is preferred?

well corbin will tell you push 5 or 6 pellets threw bore and measure , or you can just make a mold of your choke and add .0005 , or you can get some slugs and like a noe or other sizer and size slugs your gun likes and you can go in .0005 increments to see which shoots best and weather dry or lubed works best , with corbins swage better to use the press and you can swage you r lead wire instead of buying rools just use pure lead or no harder then 6bhn so you don't wear out dies , , I make have corbin wire cutters and or swage molds for .22 cal

ok so you saying you shooting 38fpe? I found best slugs for my tune is 35 gr and I am shooting 52fpe and I am using MP slugs sized to .216 using 95% lead 5% tin . I have tried nsa 28.5 and some other 34 and 30 gr , and I tried the hn 30 and 27 gr ,as well all shoot fair , but best is 35 gr in mine , to get this power I did a few mods in a earlier forum but only part I replaced is the hammer spring , but I am playing with tune with bigger plenums now to see what it can do LOU

mine is std length ,is your s long or std or compact ?

My gun is the long version with a stronger hammer spring but no other mods. I have Ernest's power plenum to install but haven't done so yet. I want to get plenty of data before the installation so I can accurately determine the effects of the install. 

I just received a detailed reply from Dave Corbin on the topic. To summarize it is best to let the choke do it's job and size for the chamber area of the barrel. Otherwise, you lose air pressure around the slug. A loose fitting slug can also be flared out of balance which would obviously have a negative effect on accuracy. Looks like I'm going with a .2155 inch sized die.

you will find the plenum for the taipan will help with shot count at almost all power settings. the power level seems to be requiring a heavier hammer spring to really push the power. reg settings may require a tweak as well. dillon and myself have been adjusting our taipan longs last couple weeks. info is in a PCP airgun post "taipan plenum" goes into big detail. however , the factory settings with hammer spring adjuster should push slugs quite well when cranked up.

Mmahoney,

This is what I did, when I sent Dave Corbin my samples to match my barrels.

I first took JSB 8.44's, and put a dozen unshot samples, out of the tin, in a 35mm film container. 

Then I pushed a dozen or so halfway through my barrel, and, with a thin wooden dowel, pushed back out the breech. Put those in their separate cannister.

I then took a 4"pvc pipe, about 30 inches long, and put a pvc cap on one end. I stuffed the pipe with pillow filler, and /or fishtank filter material. I shot the pellets into the filter material, and recovered them. Put these in a cannister as well.

Sent them to Corbin, and he was able to compare the 3, and determine what the best pellet die diameter was. When i first started this endeavor, i told him what size I wanted, and it did not work at all. Trust what he tells you is the proper size, determined by him.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech