• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Depressurizing AirForce Talon SS

AGN Members,

I added a Altaros Regulator from TalonTunes to my Talon SS. I need to readjust Regulator . In order to do this I have to remove it. How do I depessurize the tank? With 2000+ Psi I am a bit edgy on doing this. (AirForce Say's DO NOT dry fire) Loosen explosion disc screw a bit or slowly unscrew Top Hat valve from Regulator til it leaks slowly ?
BTW, Without the regulator I was getting 790-830 FPS Power wheel set at #8. I set the Altaros to 125 BAR now getting 640 FPS. Small change increase (650 FPS) at #10. Another Problem is My YH now shows 3000 Psi and the Talon only 2000 Psi, Altaros 140 BAR. Any knowledge on these questions greatly appreciated.

Bill

As of 7am this morning Talon gage 2000 psi, -100 drop. No leaks. However AirForce Air Guns is sending a new valve under warranty, Great Company.
FYI, Altaros is set to 150 BAR, Talon power wheel set to #8, 720 FPS. Using Crossman 14.3g for testing will switch to JSB 15.89g when all settled in.
BTW, Altaros answered the email question I had about the different gage readings between YH 3000 psi and Talon 2100 psi. Thought it might be larger Talon O-Ring than supplied Altaros O-Ring. Next time tank empty I'll take a look. Maybe some of this info will be of interest to some of you. Bill
I been looking at this for my old Talon SS. Worth it? My Talon has been mainly trouble free over the years other leaky valve at one time. AF has been a great company for support!

Dog,
With the Altaros installed, Over 100 accurate shots. The Talon power wheel has no effect on FPS. I purchased from Talon Tunes and I believe it had been mucked with, Was missing an internal O-ring. Comes with extra. With the help from Altaros I reassembled Belville washers Etc. Is it worth it @ $179.00, I don't think so. The Talon SS gives you a lot of shots in the 800-900 FPS range. With the Altaros you get more shots at better consistency but lower FPS. Altaros has been great with answering questions. AirForce has been good also on helping me. However I was not happy with the service dept. Sent rifle in twice, First was impossible to cock got it back and the trigger was so bad I thought the safety was stuck on. Sent it back but when returned alittle better but not good. Ended up installing a Talon Tunes trigger spring. I have learned how to work on the Talon, It is a marvel of simplicity. Bill

Reactions: Dog
Dog,
With the Altaros installed, Over 100 accurate shots. The Talon power wheel has no effect on FPS. I purchased from Talon Tunes and I believe it had been mucked with, Was missing an internal O-ring. Comes with extra. With the help from Altaros I reassembled Belville washers Etc. Is it worth it @ $179.00, I don't think so. The Talon SS gives you a lot of shots in the 800-900 FPS range. With the Altaros you get more shots at better consistency but lower FPS. Altaros has been great with answering questions. AirForce has been good also on helping me. However I was not happy with the service dept. Sent rifle in twice, First was impossible to cock got it back and the trigger was so bad I thought the safety was stuck on. Sent it back but when returned alittle better but not good. Ended up installing a Talon Tunes trigger spring. I have learned how to work on the Talon, It is a marvel of simplicity. Bill
I never had to send it in, good to know. I was referring to the gal at the parts desk who was quick at getting parts out. I have the 12" barrel so maybe stick with stock as all dialed in for easy 20 FT-LBS and good 150 foot accuracy. Looks fun to tinker with... Thanks for your time!

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020
I installed an Altaros on my Condor. I contacted Air Force for depressure info and was told to loosen the fill fitting. Worked just fine.
Airforce hands have been using thin dime between valve and fill adapter for years. My old tank has no stinking fill valve:) Some of my other tanks use O-ring at base of fill valve, no way I want to reseal anything with pipe thread.

With the Altaros Regulator only the Altaros fill valve is to be used. I replaced the AF fill valve with a pipe plug. I loosen the plug to degas, Works great. Bill
OT.. I got sons leaking regulator that leaks at the NPT gauge port. Anyone have any ideas on how to seal it other than TIG welding? Tape, Loctite and Permatex 561x used so far. Gauge is bottomed out so suspect port dimensions wonky. As others, no issues with most NPT ports. I'm tempted for hard thread sealer. Advice? TIA

I have had very good luck using heavy duty Teflon tape. I cut it narrow to fit gauge or fill valve. The Altaros fill valve and gauge are finger tight only and don't leak with no tape. I did have a leak with the Talon SS fill valve, The tape worked however as it wasn't to be used so I replaced with Talon Tunes plug. BTW Airforce sent me a new fill valve free, First Rate Service from them. Bill

Reactions: Dog and mercado