• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

depressurize much??

Only for service - otherwise they get filled up after I shoot them and stored that way. Been into PCPs for over 10 years with no issues this way. Eventually all o-rings will need replaced, and a bit more pressure on them when static won't make much difference. In truth, the worst thing for them is the depressurization. As a result, once the rings are a few years old, I'll replace them all whenever I have to take that gun down for service. Some never really need touching - I have an Air Ranger from 2011 that holds fine on it's factory o-rings (knock on wood), but if it leaks they will all get replaced.

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea, thus I'm asking the question. How often do you folks depressurize your PCPs? Reasoning??

It will depend a little bit on the type of PCP. Some have the valve built into the bottle which allows you to remove the bottle without depressurizing. Air Force guns are like that, and so are my Evanix Rex’s. The only time I depressurize these is if there is a slooow leak that needs addressing or I want to move a valve to a different bottle.

Removing the bottle allows you to access the action trigger mechanism, remove/change the barrel, and all that kind of stuff if you like to tinker. Very convenient feels like tinker toys or Legos or something you can almost snap together different combinations without worrying about the pressure.

Other guns like my AEA have a valve that is in the body/ receiver of the gun, so you have to depressurize if you want to remove the bottle and access anything related to that part of the gun

And reliability of your air gun is a major factor. I had valve pin, fill check valve, manometer, and valve seat issues with my aea guns and I’ve had to depressurize those many times.

Thanks fellas,

I had no real need to depressurize, but this Umarex Gauntlet 2 is my first PCP and I have nobody to turn to with silly questions like this. I have depressurized it once just to see how it's done with the key in the stock, but have been leaving it up to pressure other than that. I've got no real need to tinker with it at this point. It shoots great and does exactly what I got it for. 5 groundhogs so far this season.