• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Try as I might at 50 yards.... I can't continue to hit the 1/2 inch target all the time....
I am doing pretty well (I think) - I can usually get in the 3/4 circles... if not -- it is always in the 1 inch circle...
My gun groups well, but is usually groups are a little over to much one way or another... 
Don't get me wrong I get many many hits on 1/2 inch... most likely hits than not .... and I do get 5 shot groups
in the 1/2 many times..... but I would like to be a 1/2 inch all the time... and I am picky... it can't be just touching the 1/2 outside line...
Now for hunting -- I don't believe this is all that bad...

My question
Is it normal to not hit the 1/2 inch target at 50 yards all the time... Am I expecting to much out of myself...
Seems like people on the forum can hit the mark with their eyes closed... and have no issues at 50 yards....

I am lazy... I have the sorting tools.... but these JSBs are good right out of tin... I guess I will sort some and try this weekend...
I want the Air Arms S510 XTRA FAC Ultimate Sporter... and have the cash... but 
I know I do not need it.... but I want it...

But actually... the way some shooters are posting I feel I can't compare ...
So I have to ask on here what is normal for 50 yard shooting....

Billy, it sounds like you are doing just fine. Remember shooting outside you have an environment to deal with, altitude, wind, humidity ect. The pellet could be reacting to the environment there is a big difference between outside and inside range shooting. Also, members are typically posting the best shot groups from that day at the range, I wouldn't be concerned you are shooting great!

I would not get depressed. Some of the AGN members are phenomenal shooters and one could try for a lifetime to be as good as them and never will. On the other hand it is the Internet and some others might be exaggerating a bit about shooting 1/2" 50 yard groups every time they pull the trigger.

I think you might be expecting a bit much. Something to think about: if everyone was shooting amazing groups all the time than wouldn't we see that reflected in FT and bench rest scores??

I now I have to fiddle with even the slightest breeze.... but after one miss I can usually guess how much to compensate..
Now... I had no idea that humidity may play a roll... until just now... but it makes sense..

I was actually upset with myself because I could not keep the mark at 1/2 inch... Seems like everyone else can...
I see postings where 50 yards is no big deal to them... and 100 yards is no problem either....
I have tried 65 yards.... and can hold my own... but need more practice at that... (mil-dots guessing and all)

Don't think for a second that all the posts with the great shooting are done each time that person shoots most people post pictures of their best groups not all of their groups. If you shot one hole groups all the time it would get very boring. Striving for perfection is part of the fun and every once in a while all the stars line up and you shoot like a rock star and can't miss live for those days but don't get depressed when that is not every day you shoot. Hell it is just for fun and we are not getting paid for this stuff.

Mike

Each of us are our own worst critic. I look at it this way, it is a hobby and I want to have fun doing it. Enjoy the good shots and the bad. It isn't a perfect world and you do the best you can and that is all you can do. Practice makes you better. I think you are being too hard on yourself. There are so many variables in getting that perfect group. If it was easy to do then you would have anything to strive for. There's always tomorrow.

I shoot regularly at 50, 70, 130 and 150 yards. Started off with 50 yards and my groups were no where close to 1/2 inch. Over time they got better. Today if I shoot 10 shot strings of 5 shots each, 8 out of those strings is under 1/2 inch. The others are sub 1 inch and sometimes when I screw up my breathing or trigger pull or the wind plays truant, 1.5 inches at 50 yards. I can assure you that you will get better and the groups you are getting are super.

On a good day my groups at 100-150 yards are 1-1.5 inches. Sometimes they go whack and I get 3 to 4 inch groups. Depressing yes but I have also learnt that some days no matter how good or experienced a shooter you are, things just mess up. Sometimes the gun isn't in the mood to shoot right so it doesn't no matter how hard you try. :) 

I think your doing great! When I'm shooting with my air rifle, wind is the biggest factor where my pellets are going to land. For example if I had a 10 mph crosswind and it stayed at the speed perfectly for the whole duration I was shooting, then yeah I can adjust POA and hit that bulls eye almost everytime, but thats the problem, wind is not consistent. In reality wind will fluctuate from 5 mph and maybe gust at 15 mph right before you squeeze that trigger. If you want a "perfect" environment where wind isn't a variable, find an indoor range and see how much better you will do there. Hand your rifle to a friend and I can almost guarantee they would't be able to shoot as well as you can with your gun. 

OK guys
I went out tonight
Raining with light breeze...
I had to sight scope back in... 
You can tell what two targets I sighted in on and to get mil dots I would use...

the third is a 5 shot group at 50 yards... 
But notice I can not get them into my 1/2 circle.... 
Happens all the damn time....
But after reading .... I guess I am expecting to much...

Well I'm just getting into air gunning and its took me months to figure out what I've learned.. I've been shooting since I was 5. These guns are picky.. I'm still shooting 1 in. At 25 so don't feel bad.. Give me my high power rifle and I'll spell my name with it..but I've learned a lot in the past few weeks.. Wish I had found this place sooner, it would have saved me a ton of money!

Every gun has its own Quirks. When I first got my Krosa, I could only get nickel sized groups & was a little disappointed. When shooting from a table, I always rest the fore stock on a rest or sandbag, right hand on trigger & left hand tucked under the rear of the stock. I decided to try something different & held onto the front of the stock instead with my left hand & the results were much better. Now one hole groups are the norm. I guess at the shot, the gun would jump enough to open up the group. Now I'm a happy camper.

"billydjann"OK guys
I went out tonight
Raining with light breeze...
I had to sight scope back in... 
You can tell what two targets I sighted in on and to get mil dots I would use...

the third is a 5 shot group at 50 yards... 
But notice I can not get them into my 1/2 circle.... 
Happens all the damn time....
But after reading .... I guess I am expecting to much...

I shot today before the rains came today me self. I can get groups like yours on the left for the 1st, 2nd and sometime the 3rd. I think a lot of my problem is the I get to over confident that I hurry to much and not concentrate on my shooting. I have to keep telling myself to look at the dot and not the whole target.