• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dependable Portable Air Compressors

I sold all my PCP rifles and pistol about 3-4 years ago. I loved the guns (Steyr), but I could not tolerate the terrible lack of dependability of my Omega Turbo Compressor. The dive shop to fill my carbon tank was a 70 mile round trip and I had to drop the tank off and come back to get it. Huge nuisance.

So, I'm down to a few replica CO2 shooters and my favorite air rifle, Air Arms TX 200.

I am thinking about getting a PCP again, but I'd have to also have a compressor. I just read the Outdoor Life review by air rifle legend, Jim Chapman. Can anyone recommend something that I can fill directly to the firearm that is easy to maintain and operate and less than $1,000? The Nomad III is intriguing, but...?
Thanks
Roy

Bo,
Not portable but fills SCBA tanks that are. Everything pictured less than $400, heading into third year, over 30-trouble-free hours. Keeps my nine PCPs filled with dry, clean air. WM
IMG_20220322_203924.jpg

I sold all my PCP rifles and pistol about 3-4 years ago. I loved the guns (Steyr), but I could not tolerate the terrible lack of dependability of my Omega Turbo Compressor. The dive shop to fill my carbon tank was a 70 mile round trip and I had to drop the tank off and come back to get it. Huge nuisance.

So, I'm down to a few replica CO2 shooters and my favorite air rifle, Air Arms TX 200.

I am thinking about getting a PCP again, but I'd have to also have a compressor. I just read the Outdoor Life review by air rifle legend, Jim Chapman. Can anyone recommend something that I can fill directly to the firearm that is easy to maintain and operate and less than $1,000? The Nomad III is intriguing, but...?
Thanks
Roy
I never thought I would buy a compressor, I have always hand pumped. However, my relatively recent decline in health made me buy the GX-CS4.

Yes, it is overkill for someone like me with small reservoir airguns, but I figured at $513 delivered direct from https://gxpumpofficial.com/ using their 10% off code listed at the top of the page, I should be set no matter what. And it looks like it is $10 cheaper than that now!

Still too early for long term reviews, but it seems to be gaining traction with others. It is also the ONLY portable compressor I know of that can go to 5800psi.

So, you know you can fill ANY airgun that comes up in the future. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/who-has-the-most-time-on-the-compressor-with-a-gx-cs4.1300416/

There are some older threads as well.

I still don't have much time on mine as the city where I live has been working on replacing the entire sewer system, so I haven't been able to shoot, let alone seen any pesting targets. Not to mention my health...

All my best!

Kerry

I had a Nomad 2 that cost me $700. That thing burned out in under 30 days and I wasn't risking it with a second. I sent it back to PA and grabbed a cheap Yong Heng for under $300. That thing was good to go for a few years. What took the Nomad 2 nearly 5 minutes to do, the Yong Heng did in 45 seconds. I currently have a Hill EC3000 on its way to me to try out but I can't really speak on it yet unfortunately. What I can speak for is that cheap Yong Heng. It exceeded my expectations by a mile for its price tag.

GX-CS4, portable, have used it in the field. Fills my SCBA tank effortlessly. Reasonably priced. I added a dryer tank just for precaution, but it never has any moisture when I bleed the dryer. When filling my portable tank I bleed the compressor valve every 5-6 minutes, to prevent moisture.
Actually, if you are bleeding from the "dryer", then you shouldn't see any moisture. However, next time you bleed, do it with the bleed valve on the CS4, not the dryer. If there is any moisture, you will see it then.

I never have to run mine long enough to worry about moisture and I only run it, just like when I was hand pumping, when my hygrometers show the humidity level is very low. At least as low as I can get it with the a/c on in the summer, and usually in the fall/winter, it isn't really an issue.

Thanks for making me feel even better about my CS4 purchase! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

I would warn you away from a Nomad no matter how many I’s come after the name. There are too many horror stories on this forum for any sane person to contemplate one.
Hence, I must be nuts because I bought one. First go round was 16 hours and down it went. Came back from AV and it lasted 5 minutes and it was down again.
Credit to AV for warrantying the pump first go round, second round they were not so cooperative but did tell me what the problem most likely was. Bad check valve somewhere. The unit comes with a full set of replacement check valves and O rings, maybe some other parts. The check valves are an easy fix.
With some guidance from them I intended to fix it. That was this spring. Tonight I finally got around to tearing into it. Found a couple check valves that looked suspect and then found where a one of the copper tubes broke off at the compression ferrule. Now I get to get back in touch with AV and get a new copper tube and ferrule.
In the interim I have purchased a Daystate MCH6. Have no idea why I am tinkering with the Nomad. If I can get it running proper again it will go to the local air gun shop and be put up for sale for cheap, really cheap.

I also have the GX Pumps CS4 and highly recommend it! It's fully self contained, can be run from your car battery while in the field or AC when at home, is quiet and runs very cool! It also fills to 5000 psi, just in case you get the hankering to purchage either the Huben K1 or GK1!

There is also a 10% discount code: GX10OFF that brings the price to $504.00 shipped! Just a touch over half what you were looking to spend!

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I’m probably opening myself up to a beating but what the heck.
A dependable portable compressor might be an oxymoron. Does one exist ? The cheap compressor area of AGN might have the most volume of posts on the entire forum, especially the repair of them. It sucks up a lot of bandwidth. And I realize everyone can’t justify a Bauer or an Alkin or equivalent. I started with a hand pump and the local paintball store jamming a guppy in a nanosecond. Then went to a Umarex Ready Air, then to an Omega Air Charger, then after practically giving those away I bought an Alkin because I was going to be retiring and after 40 years in maintenance in a manufacturing environment I really don’t want to turn wrenches any more. But I do enjoy finding/searching the root cause on broken things, but on stuff other people own 😬.
If I had to do it over again, and that definitely means advanced hindsight, if there is such a thing, I would buy an Alkin and two 74cf SCBA’s like I currently have. I admit that the Alkin might be more compressor than necessary (the Omega may well have been adequate) but it has a decent aftermarket value if my son doesn’t want it after I go to the airgun range in the sky.
All things considered, quality SCBA’s ain’t cheap either. But I have found for my range sessions, one 74cf tank provides me with a ton of shooting. Two tanks give me the option of cascading and a very very long shooting session. I personally think portable isn’t all that necessary, at least for me, even though my gun club has 120 volt outlets at all the ranges for whatever use, I’m aware that many “portable” compressors will run off the car battery too. My 2¢.

Reactions: Camaro454
I’m probably opening myself up to a beating but what the heck.
A dependable portable compressor might be an oxymoron. Does one exist ? The cheap compressor area of AGN might have the most volume of posts on the entire forum, especially the repair of them. It sucks up a lot of bandwidth. And I realize everyone can’t justify a Bauer or an Alkin or equivalent. I started with a hand pump and the local paintball store jamming a guppy in a nanosecond. Then went to a Umarex Ready Air, then to an Omega Air Charger, then after practically giving those away I bought an Alkin because I was going to be retiring and after 40 years in maintenance in a manufacturing environment I really don’t want to turn wrenches any more. But I do enjoy finding/searching the root cause on broken things, but on stuff other people own 😬.
If I had to do it over again, and that definitely means advanced hindsight, if there is such a thing, I would buy an Alkin and two 74cf SCBA’s like I currently have. I admit that the Alkin might be more compressor than necessary (the Omega may well have been adequate) but it has a decent aftermarket value if my son doesn’t want it after I go to the airgun range in the sky.
All things considered, quality SCBA’s ain’t cheap either. But I have found for my range sessions, one 74cf tank provides me with a ton of shooting. Two tanks give me the option of cascading and a very very long shooting session. I personally think portable isn’t all that necessary, at least for me, even though my gun club has 120 volt outlets at all the ranges for whatever use, I’m aware that many “portable” compressors will run off the car battery too. My 2¢.
I got the CX4 but also looking to add a tank. Why? because of how quickly it is to fill from a tank compared to the compressor, especially when filling multiple guns.

I do need to complete my compressor setup that keeps my moisture separator pressurized as that will speed things up alot too.

Reactions: rcs9250

Thanks
Roy
if you are only going to be filling airguns or topping off a ninja tank you can't beat the yong-heng portable. Operates on 110 or 12v and has auto shutoff. Best price go to wal-mart.com and search 300 bar compressors. It is $229 with free shipping.