• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Delta wolf help.

Hi all .

Can somebody please explain to me how i go about trying to achieve a tune for slugs in my .25 Delta wolf.

Where do i start ? What should i be doing with hammer dwell and voltage and reg pressure? 

i see online that the fx guys have plenty of info on how to achieve a tune with there fx impacts and i would just like a starting point , maybe even a step by step guide on where to start as i am pretty clueless and its making me feel like the first time i tried it on with a girl...

I'm no Delta Wolf expert, but this is what I would do. Most the posts I see say the gun as delivered has the reg set too high, and that a lower reg setting is the key to consistency. I would set the reg at 140 and play in the range of 140-150 maybe 155 max. I would get some NSA 34.5 gr slugs and some 33.49 gr Knockout slugs. Both those slugs are close to the 33.95gr JSB pellet. I'd set the hammer dwell to 3300, the voltage to 77 and try to shoot those slugs at 880-900fps. Upping the reg should have the biggest effect on speed/accuracy, followed by the voltage and dwell time, from what I've read. I believe you will find slug happiness. It seems Dana (crosman999), azrover and I have .30's, and you, Wilber and Centercut have .25's, although Mike said he was planning on shooting only pellets (33.95's I think). Dana had success shooting slugs in his .30 and so did I, although I switched back to pellets before getting the tune perfected. I hope this helps.-carl

Try setting the Factory Mode to the closest setting to what exists. .25 caliber, 23 inch barrel, whatever reg pressure is recommended (170 bar probably), ammo weight (34 grain probably), and then input the speed you want them to shoot. After you shoot 4 or 5 shots the gun will "tune" itself for you at close to the desired speed...

My buddy has been shooting the 29 grain NSA at about 900 to 920 FPS and they shoot as accurate as the 34 grain Heavy pellets. I haven't shot or tried to shoot slugs in mine since I bought the gun to shoot pellets... He is using the Factory Settings as described above.

Hi centercut.

I already tried your described method with 29g NSA slugs at the weekend and couldnt get anything like the accuracy i experienced with mk1 and mk2 jsbs, i also tried selecting the 33.95g factory mode with a 34g slug and tried various velocitys and also attempted to do this technique again with 26g slugs on the 25.39g setting and 30g slugs on the assiociated 30g pellet setting with no luck .

Cmatera, thanks I will try the method you said about and see how it goes , like I said before , I just want some form of base line to start from as I haven't got a damn clue about tuning , cheers 

Hi center cut , I did have the reg at 170bar but just couldn't get decent enough groups , perhaps it's a case that all barrels are slightly different? But hopefully more people start sharing there tunes and things will become a bit more straight forward.

Cmatera, thanks for giving me the voltage, reg pressure and dwell times , I have just been out and copied what I saw in a youtube video ,some guy ( bob o I think?) Said that he tunes at 25-30 yards first , gets 3 shots touching then goes to 100 yards and to see what it's like .

I fired four, three shot groups at 25 yards ( they didn't group) very good at 830fps) so I did as you said and upped the reg pressure slightly ( up by 5 bar) and then things started to improve, the velocity only went up slightly ( 10fps) but it did improve group size , with some all but touching each other.

I have ran out of light here in England but I will try again tomorrow and see how things are looking before trying it at 100yards.

Thanks for giving me that info it has certainly helped me tonight .

I too was helped by that video by Bob O. Miss Bob a lot but we all have to make a living, and he's busy trucking. There are several theories on how to tune for slugs. I pretty much follow the method Bob outlined, in that if you don't get three shots in the same hole or touching, it is a waste of time to go out to 50 or 100yds or meters. If it doesn't shoot well at close range, it's pretty much useless to expect better at 2-4 times the distance. A good nights sleep and another look with fresh eyes will help.

Yeah I did hear that Bob had to go trucking, I like the way he explains things , makes a dumbass like me understand things better!.

In your opinion, at what point would you start playing with the voltage and dwell? I know that you said to up the reg pressure to affect the velocity but the voltage affects the velocity to, so when would you start to up the voltage? And what does the dwell do ? 

I think a lot of the confusion comes from trying to take the settings on a mechanical gun (like the FX Impact) and transpose them to an electronic gun like the Delta Wolf. One thing I had a lot of trouble with is when some very knowledgeable airgunners ie. Ernest Rowe, say to determine your "target velocity". How do you know what your target velocity should be? Through a lot of reading, it seems that there is a general velocity range which most projectiles shoot best in. The problem is most of it is for pellets-not slugs. What I am currently doing is using pellet velocity and adding 10 bar to the reg for light slugs, and 20 bar for heavy slugs. It requires a LOT of testing.

From what I learned (or think I learned (from Azrover) is, the regulator setting on the Delta Wolf will have the greatest effect BUT you have to start with the regulator lower and work your way up so you don't lose consistency. On the Delta Wolf, we can adjust the regulator, the voltage, and the hammer dwell time. As I understand it, the voltage is like the hammer spring on a mechanical gun. It is how much force the hammer hits the valve with. The hammer dwell is a measure of time or how long the hammer will dwell (or press) on the valve.

All these settings affect the tune of the gun, some more than others. It's like there are macro, big, adjustments, and once you get at or above the speed you think you want to achieve, there are micro or small adjustments to nip it a little. To answer your question, I would start with the regulator on the low side, because you can always turn the reg UP without de gassing the gun. Then I would start upping the voltage shooting over a chronograph and seeing how close I am to my target velocity.

Reactions: Stone02
Thanks mate , you have really helped me understand how this rifle works , it is very true what you said about confusing the delta with a mechanical gun.

I think now i am slowly getting how to do this , i will do what you said about adjusting the reg pressure and then upping the velocity, obviously i will only start upping the voltage if i dont get the required groupings .

Nice, concise description , @cmatera 👍

To add to his post, I've not shot slugs in the DW, but in the Safari, the 34 and 35 gn NSA dish base hollow points shot virtually identical to the King H Mk2s at 100 yards on the same settings. I was pushing the Mk2s at 920 at the time and tend to shoot them a little slower in the DW so you might take the advice on adding 10 bar. Currently, the DW sits at 79.0 v and 3000 uS and 150 bar for 890 fps. All are similar, just not the same, so you might have to adjust it a couple of times to hit your target velocity . You can try a big jump in V or dwell to see what the velocity will actually do, then decide whether to add reg pressure. Best consistency for me is about 95% of max with the minimum hammer strike and just above minimum reg needed to get it. As was mentioned, hammer strike is a function of both V and dwell. I haven't yet seen an advantage in adjusting one more than the other. Just stay reasonably well below the 88V max.

Shoot well....

Bob