Delta Wolf .177 Tune Questions and 100 Yard Results

Tons of questions on this rifle. Hmmm, so I have shot 10, 13.4, 12,5, 20 grain slugs out of this gun the most accurate seem like the 13.4 grain slugs.

Now, I have played with the gun from 800 to 1000 fps with the 13.4 grains, Most accurate seem like 985 fps with 13.4 grains. The issue is all the air it guzzles. 

To achieve this speed I need to raise the regulator speed to about 150 to 160 bar also in WARP mode. This does not allow many shot in fact very very few maybe 26 to 40 before going off regulator. hmmmm. So I can get quite a few shots by using a 90 to 100 bar setting with warp settings and I get about 840 with the 13.4 Knock outs. 

So to anybody that knows, how do you tune this gun ? What is the best way to start. I went from low regulator to high .....

There are alot of FX impact videos available but zero on Daystates Flagship which is sad......

My results for accuracy and knock Out slugs 13.4

Speed Accuracy Shot count 13.4 grains

1. 800 fps, poor accuracy, high shot count , reg 90 bar

2. 840 fps, decent accuracy, good shot count, reg 100, warp settings 

3. 880 fps, poor accuracy, ok shot count, reg 120-130, warp settings

4. 920, ok accuracy, poor shot count ---- reg 130 to 140 bar, warp settings

5. 990, good accuracy, Hugley Poor Shot count, reg 150-160, warp settings. 

100 yard shots.... Below is at 990 fps, not zeroed, slight wind, 13 to 14 shots. Nothing great but hey....

8634E175-C8ED-45BD-9C13-58BE0CF4F382.1653696420.jpeg

don’t have a delta but do have a wolverine in 177 and this is exactly why i now have a maverick for field target. The wolverine had to have the pressure so high (140 bar) and i still didn’t make 20 fpe and with my maverick (80 bar) i get to 20 if i want can do practice and match and have air leftover. Daystate makes a fine rifle but its an air hog!

You're way overdriving it for the power you get. At 150 bar reg, start lowering voltage and dwell till it begins to slow down. You'll find the same velocity with a LOT less air use. The limitation you have right now is the barrel port size. It will only flow so much air at a given reg pressure. Going up will enable more velocity without a huge air consumption increase. It's all about getting air through that tiny port.

Bob

Reactions: fe7565
You're way overdriving it for the power you get. At 150 bar reg, start lowering voltage and dwell till it begins to slow down. You'll find the same velocity with a LOT less air use. The limitation you have right now is the barrel port size. It will only flow so much air at a given reg pressure. Going up will enable more velocity without a huge air consumption increase. It's all about getting air through that tiny port.

Bob

My Wolverine came from aoa set to that pressure

Arzrover, Bob thanks for the reply. So trying to set expectations on what is an acceptable shot count to power ratio seems a bit tough. Especially in .177....

I have so many questions.....

I am trying to find the smallest reg pressure to use for the gun as to get the most shots while still maintaining a decent speed for those little .177 slugs. Suggested slug speeds are in the 900s or so. The 10.2 are not as accurate as the 13 grains slugs. The speed difference is like 100fps with the same settings. Those 10.2 move out fast. 

Do you think it is possible to attain 100+ shots in the DW with .177 slugs? 

ahh just re-read your feedback again. So you are saying for the .177 Reg pressure really is the driving force, from there you can really turn down the other setting to use WAY LESS AIR??? You mentioned .177 has a tiny air tunnel so reg pressure really controls it. Use the other setting to optimize the air usage right ? I just thought if I could creep up the regulator on high warp settings it would do the same thing but from your explanation it seems like that is not the case ???

Last question is there any difference in say going automatic tune by FPS vs Custom settings if I just choose a slug speed and slowly adjust my regulator up from 90 bar to XXX bar until the slugs hit the desired pellet speed ? Does the auto mode use more air ? Less accurate ??

Thanks for being patient .. and the help....

Jay

Mike, I have a .177 redwolf hp coming in later this week. I am interested in shooting say some 10gr 13.4 grain slugs in addition to the 15. From what I have heard the redwolf hp at low and medium setting will push those smaller slugs in some nice speeds. Also heard that you should get a pretty good shot count as well. Your thoughts on those JSB knock outs in 10 and 13 grains at low and medium power ?

Jay

OK KD, I had a DW 177 with 17 inch barrel that I used for shooting FT in WFTF class (less than 12 fpe) The factory settings that the gun comes with are just there to get people going, and those that like to just punch up and down the fps and let the gun do the rest. The problem with that is that in factory settings, you are not going to get the best consistency and smallest groups. I shot only in advanced mode, partly because I had the only sub 12 fpe, high power gun in the USA. However, you should be able to set your reg somewhere around 130 bar ish, and adjust your velocity up and down by changing the hammer voltage and the dwell time (time on valve, sorta). I believe 1500 ms was the lowest and dont know the highest point. My thinking was keep the gun with the fastest time opening the valve to make it seem faster of a shot cycle, and I adjusted the hammer voltage around 69 Volts (12 fpe). You can just crank up the hammer voltage and thats like cranking the hammer spring on regular guns to increase speed. Once youre on the mark by doing the voltage thing, you can change the dwell time and experiment a bit to get the best feel and shot spread. AZROVER (Bobby) is THE MAN, with all knowledge airgun related and especially DW stuff. What i did was keep my notepad on the shooting table, and when I changed the hammer voltage and got close, I would set the name for the setting I just came up with, and keep trying out stuff til it was good. When I found each best setting, I went back in the gun and deleted all the bad ones, and saved them with names I could easily know when I scrolled through. ie....8.4 790, 8.4 800, etc. You can do the same with your different pellets...maybe even do 103 hi, 103 lo, 134 hi 134 lo, 158, etc.....remember youre limited on characters. Keep your note pad near the gun, and make a copy of your favorite settings, in case something happens along the way.....good luck.....BC

BC, sounds like a solid plan. I will try reg creeping it up while paying attention to the voltage. Probably apply more voltage to it than I have in the past. Most of the tune I put the voltage at say 61V, hammer 2700us, bar 91.

You mentioned the dwell time as a nice way to play around with the FPS spread like a fine adjustment versus a main driver in the performance of FPS.

We will give it a shot! ! 

Thanks again, 

Jay