Delta and Aplha Wolf barrels

I just talked to Tony at Daystate in Staffordshire. This is what he told me:
The barrel twist rate and design change with the new information they are using to tweek the barrels to shoot more accurately, pellets and or slugs. The barrels made let's say in 2019 are not the barrels installed now. The only way you can know what twist rate you have is to check it yourself. You can buy a Alpha 2 months ago and buy one now and it could have a different barrel, because of the new barrels that were made based on new information.The sub 12 barrels are generally 1 in 17 , those barrels shoot great to about 30ft.lbs. But where the problem comes up, is when you want the same accuracy and performance above that. The FAC barrel could be 1 in 30 choked or not choked depending on when it was bought and who manufactured the barrel. Nothing is in stone. They are continually testing and tweeking the barrels.
That's the information given to me by Toney at Daystate.
I asked him about the .22 ART barrel being designed to shoot the [email protected] the 25.39 @ 975fps.
He said the .22 ART barrel wasn't designed to shoot the 18.13 , it was designed to shoot the 25.39 and not at 975fps. Shooting a fps. that, that barrel shoots the 25.39 accurately.
He said , since customers are wanting to shoot slugs, they are tweeking barrels to be able to shoot them and will be installed on Alpha and Delta models as they roll out.
But as a customer in the states, when you buy one, you have no idea what or which barrel you are getting. You will get the one they ordered in THAT run of manufactured barrels installed on that batch of rifles.

Thanks for the update...

I spent the last year away from the competition events and formal testing so things COULD be different, but as far as I'm aware, there wre only 2 for the HP... a 6 groove, 1 in 17.7 twist and a 5 groove in 1 in 30 twist... both poly's... actually... make that 3... a 5 groove, 1 in 30 , 700 mm is also available.

That said, I know there are plans to offer the new barrels that Robert's partnership are working on now in more options. They will be offering slug capable barrels for certain...

Bob

What are the prices on the ART barrels?
These sound similar to the RTI LR barrels
1-32 twist by LW
Incredibly expensive! around 900$ just for the barrel!!

Reactions: qball
The RTI 1:32 "LR" is a 6 groove polygonal profile.

All the Daystate/BRK "HP" that I've had in hand have been 5 groove polys.

And it might be just these couple particular barrels and not a general trend, but the steel of the RTI "LR" I'm currently working with in my Veteran seems less porous than the steel of the last two Daystate/BRK "HP" poly barrels that have come through. Almost like the RTI LR is stainless or some other type of steel.....

Art 5 Grove 1-30 twist .22 lite choke bbl. Love to be hotrodded. Jsb 18.1 @ 1000 fps and fx 25.4 rdn @ 970. The fx are way more consistent then jsb out the tin. Call the wind right and smashed a few eggs @ 130 yds.

IMG_3366.jpg

20240324_144217.jpg

I almost pre-ordered a DWolf but the lack of information on barrels and lack of power and barrel to shoot heavy slugs put me off completely at that price. Let's be honest with ourselves here, my friends $299 avenger aren't really that far behind these 3K guns when shooting pellets especially after some tuning and barrel work. Sad part is the $299 avenger in 22 WILL shoot slugs quite well vs not a chance with that 1:30 $900 dollar barrel on a $3500 gun. I mean WTF! I can get cut, lapped and polished precision PB barrel for that money. The "exotic" Proof research or Christensen carbon barrels are 700-900 dollars all day long and that stuff is at a completely different level.

Sure, the metal straws have their drawbacks but I can get them for 110 bucks and epoxy a 30 dollar carbon sleeve I got poor airgun man "proof research" barrel and I'm shooting at 200+ yards and have money left for a really nice Japanese scope.....or another gun and 2 budget scopes.
shrug.gif

BUT, it's your money so you do what you like with it.

Last edited:
I almost pre-ordered a DWolf but the lack of information on barrels and lack of power and barrel to shoot heavy slugs put me off completely at that price. Let's be honest with ourselves here, my friends $299 avenger aren't really that far behind these 3K guns when shooting pellets especially after some tuning and barrel work. Sad part is the $299 avenger in 22 WILL shoot slugs quite well vs not a chance with that 1:30 $900 dollar barrel on a $3500 gun. I mean WTF! I can get cut, lapped and polished precision PB barrel for that money. The "exotic" Proof research or Christensen carbon barrels are 700-900 dollars all day long and that stuff is at a completely different level.

Sure, the metal straws have their drawbacks but I can get them for 110 bucks and epoxy a 30 dollar carbon sleeve I got poor airgun man "proof research" barrel and I'm shooting at 200+ yards and have money left for a really nice Japanese scope.....or another gun and 2 budget scopes.
View attachment 461290

personally i think slugs are over rated and to some degree defeat the purpose of a PELLET GUN.
That said... we should just have a new line of rifles called SLUG guns. IMO of course....
BTW my Alpha Wolf Shoots stellar.... but i digress. I don't need a pellet gun to shoot past 100 yards.. and 60 yards is more practical.
there is info on the barrels but in Europe remember that <12 ftlbs rules the day.
The magic of the delta wolf is the ability to change calibers / barrels / probes etc… and tune in approximately 10 minutes. I can go from a .177 / 8.4 gr pellet moving at 780 fps to a .30 / 50 gr pellet moving at 960 fps - in 10 minutes, try that with an avenger. I am a Crosman Benjamin fan boy myself but the difference is night and day.

Last edited:

View attachment 461290

The slow twist barrels are not $900 unless your talking barrel kits with the chronograph.. I sold several brand new ones for $300

personally i think slugs are over rated and to some degree defeat the purpose of a PELLET GUN.
That said... we should just have a new line of rifles called SLUG guns. IMO of course....
BTW my Alpha Wolf Shoots stellar.... but i digress. I don't need a pellet gun to shoot past 100 yards.. and 60 yards is more practical.
there is info on the barrels but in Europe remember that <12 ftlbs rules the day.
I am with you on this👍 I also don’t understand the fixation on power, more noise, more air, more expensive, more stress on components and you need to be much more mindful of where the slug lands in the event of a miss or pass through. How much power do you need to kill a sparrow, starling, pigeon, squirrel or rabbit, and how many YouTube videos are there where you can see clear damage to buildings when the slug has punched a hole through the roof or through the side of a silo, I am sure the farmers must be delighted when the roof leaks👎

Bb

I am with you on this👍 I also don’t understand the fixation on power, more noise, more air, more expensive, more stress on components and you need to be much more mindful of where the slug lands in the event of a miss or pass through. How much power do you need to kill a sparrow, starling, pigeon, squirrel or rabbit, and how many YouTube videos are there where you can see clear damage to buildings when the slug has punched a hole through the roof or through the side of a silo, I am sure the farmers must be delighted when the roof leaks👎

Bb

While I get you don’t care for slugs and that’s fine, It’s your money to spend. But I see all pellet shooters over $1000 over rated and over priced. I simply don’t see the need for that kind of price tags, they are not 10x more accurate or even 2x more accurate than the humble avenger. My Dreamline is stupidly accurate with pellets can shoot pellets of any caliber if I want for a little over $1000.

Again you spend your money but I can’t see spend that kind of money when it doesn’t give me any thing I can’t get with the avenger or Dreamline. I enjoy shooting slugs and shooting them a long long way, there are only a handful of guns that can do what I want and daystate anything isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rizz01
While I get you don’t care for slugs and that’s fine, It’s your money to spend. But I see all pellet shooters over $1000 over rated and over priced. I simply don’t see the need for that kind of price tags, they are not 10x more accurate or even 2x more accurate than the humble avenger. My Dreamline is stupidly accurate with pellets can shoot pellets of any caliber if I want for a little over $1000.

Again you spend your money but I can’t see spend that kind of money when it doesn’t give me any thing I can’t get with the avenger or Dreamline. I enjoy shooting slugs and shooting them a long long way, there are only a handful of guns that can do what I want and daystate anything isn’t one of them.
One other thought about slugs - $$$, it won’t take Long if you’re shooting a lot, and buying pricey slugs to quickly dwarf the price you paid for the gun. To clarify, my thoughts on slugs - personal choice reigns supreme so go for it. Just like the cutting edge of electronic guns… they are our toys and not necessities so let’s have fun and be safe!

One other thought about slugs - $$$, it won’t take Long if you’re shooting a lot, and buying pricey slugs to quickly dwarf the price you paid for the gun. To clarify, my thoughts on slugs - personal choice reigns supreme so go for it. Just like the cutting edge of electronic guns… they are our toys and not necessities so let’s have fun and be safe!

ACTUALLY.......I shoot mostly NSA and they are averaging 7-8 cents a shot. Even lowly 177 pellets are about 5 cents a shot, now and days unless you shoot crosman/daisy pellets it's over 5 cents a shot. So slug cost is pretty close to parallel if not cheaper than higher quality pellets, and when shooting long range I take a lot more time to shoot each shot so I don't shoot nearly as many shots which also saves some money. IMHO the real concern for slugs is slugs are BAD for any situation with any safety concerns.

I am on computers ALL DAY so my preference is a fully mechanical gun just so I don't look at computers again when shooting. However that's just my preference and to be honest I'll be real tempted if someone makes electronic guns on par with FX dynamic in terms of power. Electronic guns if done right with the correct software driven architecture has the potential to be incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Stone02
ACTUALLY.......I shoot mostly NSA and they are averaging 7-8 cents a shot. Even lowly 177 pellets are about 5 cents a shot, now and days unless you shoot crosman/daisy pellets it's over 5 cents a shot. So slug cost is pretty close to parallel if not cheaper than higher quality pellets, and when shooting long range I take a lot more time to shoot each shot so I don't shoot nearly as many shots which also saves some money. IMHO the real concern for slugs is slugs are BAD for any situation with any safety concerns.

I am on computers ALL DAY so my preference is a fully mechanical gun just so I don't look at computers again when shooting. However that's just my preference and to be honest I'll be real tempted if someone makes electronic guns on par with FX dynamic in terms of power. Electronic guns if done right with the correct software driven architecture has the potential to be incredible but daystate software looks like some kid wrote it in his mom's basement. Just my 2 murican copper coins.
I don’t blame you for avoiding yet another screen in your life… there will come a point when our toys are gyroscopically stabilized and automatically focus and take the shot

Reactions: qball
The magic of the delta wolf is the ability to change calibers / barrels / probes etc… and tune in approximately 10 minutes. I can go from a .177 / 8.4 gr pellet moving at 780 fps to a .30 / 50 gr pellet moving at 960 fps - in 10 minutes, try that with an avenger. I am a Crosman Benjamin fan boy myself but the difference is night and day.

I totally agree that we should have 2 categories of airguns these days, pellet and slug guns. Sadly most manufacture trying to do both but generally not great at either.

With the humble Avenger I can change caliber even faster, at $299 I'll have one in every caliber so changing caliber takes literally seconds. LOL!

I don’t blame you for avoiding yet another screen in your life… there will come a point when our toys are gyroscopically stabilized and automatically focus and take the shot

Funny you say that, we are getting pretty close to that or already there with the big guns at the military. The electronic scopes with ballistic calculator is damn near taken the shooter out of the equation. Tried it, been there and done that but no thanks. I now appreciate good glass scopes and mechanical guns more after trying them all. This is from a guy with a computer with wheels that drives me and my mechanical guns to the range with energy from my solar panels and more computers or smart devices at the house than I like to admit. And to shock of no one, my mechanical scopes and airguns are paid by working in the computer field. LOL!

Last edited:
I like both but agree price is can be overwhelming and I come from a PRS rimfire and CF back ground and complained then lol. I had a hard time spending 1100 for a 22 at first. When I got into Airguns a few years ago I was blown away with the prices of the "better" guns. AND I dranked the koolaid. I am not a switch barrel type guy. I buy one gun and set up and leave it be whether pellet or slug. It's great to have that option but I'll just get another gun in the different caliber.

Too each his own and have fun and smack some steel!

Reactions: Rizz01 and qball