deleted

poorshot I have not got my Wildcat yet so it might be some time before I think about ordering some o rings. Plus I am having some problems reading the o ring sizes off the FX Wildcat parts list. It appears they list the sizes in reverse of the O Ring Store plus they don't appear to have all the sizes on the parts list. Download the list and see what you can figure out. Bill
Just went through the parts list for the Wildcat and out of about 12 listed o rings the O Ring Store only lists 4 sizes/types in stock.

Hello fellow Wildcatters,
Just want to bring you guys up to date on my slow leak situation. Last Thursday I received the Official Wildcat O-Ring Kit for my gun from AOA. The "kit" cost $39.00 including shipping. I had to laugh when I opened the box from AOA because I knew I should have taken it apart before ordering these...every o-ring they shipped me is in my Dorman O-Ring Assortment Value Pack that comes with 172 metric o-rings that cost $4.97 at auto parts store. (part number 799-450) I feel like I been had...I don't know why I thought there was something special about the o-rings in this air rifle that I had to order them from AOA in the first place. I just do dumb things sometimes...

Anyway, after a long day of mistakes, misery, screaming, cursing, terror, and generally turning a 15 minute job into a 6 hour freaking nightmare I got the air tube off; replaced all the o-rings, got it all back together, hooked it up to my air tank and it held air. I only had to take it apart and put it all back together 11 times before it finally held air! The thing that I did wrong is that when I had it all apart the first time, I replaced all the o-rings except the two little ones on the regulator because they looked ok to me.

One thing I learned is that there is a little tiny hole in the air tank a couple inches from the receiver end of it; and if there is even a little tiny crack in the front regulator o-ring what happens is that when you go to fill it all the air comes out the little hole. I kept taking it apart and looking at everything including the regulator o-rings and it all looked fine, and I would put it all back together and it wouldn't hold air again. This happened over and over until I finally removed the o-rings from the regulator and with a magnifying glass I could see a little tiny crack in one of them, which under pressure opened up enough so that the tube wouldn't hold air. My advice? If you decide to change the o-rings in your air tank, or you take it apart for any reason like messing with the regulator: DON'T BE DUMB LIKE ME...CHANGE THEM ALL NO MATTER IF THEY LOOK FINE OR NOT!

Lets see what else...Oh, I couldn't get a 15mm wrench on the nut on the end cap of the air tube where it connects to the receiver block to loosen it without removing the trigger linkage rod. This was another can of worms...the trigger linkage rod has a two-pronged fork on both ends that slips over a hole and a little tiny pin secures it at each end. When I removed the linkage the little pin on both ends came out, and later it was impossible to get them back in...it looks like at the factory they put the little pins in and crush the ends with a pair of pliers or something...anyway I couldn't get the trigger linkage rod ends reattached if my life depended on it. (Imagine me screaming curses and then begging God to forgive me and begging Him to give me an idea how to fix it)

Well of all things my wife asked why don't I use the screws in my jewelry box? Of course I thought she lost her mind and told her that I wouldn't ever put something like screws in my jewelry box. (imagine me yelling this at her real loud) So she went to the bedroom and came back and put something in my hand...EUREKA! A Walgreens eyeglasses repair kit! Lo and behold there were two little screws in there that fit the holes in the ends of the trigger linkage forks just perfectly! My God I love my wife sometimes! She had stayed there by me all day telling me to calm down...that she knew I would figure this all out sooner or later, and reminding me that when I get real mad my brain shuts off and I can't think straight. Well of course I felt like a jerk for yelling at her so I took her out for breakfast at Denny's. on Saturday. :)

So my Wildcat is all back together, no more air leaks, and shooting better than ever. And I didn't have to ship it to Arizona and wait for them to change the o-rings and ship it back to me...God only knows how long that would have taken. The other great news is that I now know how to completely disassemble and reassemble my Wildcat blindfolded! And one really strange result is that when I went shooting Saturday for some reason I thought of giving the JSB 25.4 grain pellets another try to see what would happen. Well, before they shot really crappy, but now they shoot lights out accurate at 50 yards...go figure that one out! I use the little black dots that come with the Shoot-n-see targets and I was just drilling them dead center with both the 25.4 grain and the 34 grain MKII. All is right with the world, my Wildcat and I had one hell of a cat fight, and she and I both have a few new scratches and scars to show for it, but we definitely have come to a better understanding. I bet she thinks twice before she leaks air on me again! :)

Best regards, Chuck

Here are some pictures to illustrate some of the points I made in the post up above:

Here is $.10 worth of o-rings I paid $39.00 for from AOA...all of these can be found in the 172 piece O-Ring Assortment Pack that costs $4.97 at auto parts store. :(

I let the air out using the brass air bleeder screw, loosened the four screws of the trigger/air tube frame, and unscrewed the air tank tube by hand. You can see the one end stayed on the receiver. It is easier to remove this part with a 15mm wrench if you remove the trigger extension rod first.

Here you see the part removed from the receiver block and the o-ring to replace. This was barely tight and may have been location of slow leak?

Here you can see the regulator sitting in the air tank tube (note the position of the ring spacer)...this is how it looks from the factory installation. To reinstall just push the regulator into the regulator seat all the way, push that into the air tube, then put the ring spacer in a little bit, and then just screw the end cap all the way in, just a hair more than hand tight is sufficient.

This shows the ring spacer, regulator, regulator seat, and wood dowel rod I used to push it out from the other end of the air tube. The ring spacer acts as a depth gauge to seat the regulator into the air tube to the correct depth. Just install the new o-rings, push the regulator into the regulator seat all the way, push it into the air tube, lastly push the spacer ring in just far enough to allow the endcap to thread on the end. Then just screw the end cap all the way on the tube... a hair past hand tight is sufficient. If you do it wrong all the air will leak out of the little tiny hole in the air tube that equalizes the pressure for regulator to work. Hopefully you do it the way i said and there won't be a problem. Do not lube or grease up the small regulator o-rings.

To remove this end cap from the air tube just insert a pencil or small wood dowel into the probe fill hole and unscrew it. It is only a hair past hand tight...just remember to change the o-ring on it. I removed the air gauge to see if there is an o-ring under it and there is not one under it...so don't bother removing the air gauge. But be careful not to bang it against anything as it is very easily damaged...how do i know this you wonder? My new one should be here in a couple days...

These are the eyeglass screws I used to reattach the trigger extension ends. The little crush pins that FX used were impossible for me to put back in, so my wife came up with this idea...works a hundred times better than the factory pins because these can be remove and reinstalled very easily.

This is the eyeglasses repair kit with screws, they are about a dollar at Walgreens. You can see in this and the next picture how well they fit.

This is available at any scuba shop or online. It greatly extends the life of o-rings by keeping them soft and pliable. "A little dab'll do ya!": NOTE: DO NOT LUBE THE LITTLE O-RINGS ON THE REGULATOR! If you grease up the little o-rings on the regulator what happens is that when you try to fill the tank up with air, the pressure will push the regulator out of the regulator seat body just far enough so that all the air will come out of the little tiny hole in the air tube. You will go crazy trying to figure this out...don't worry you are not going to have to change these o-rings again in 20 years probably. But also remember to change these and put new o-rings on the regulator every time you take it out and put it back in or you will end up doing it later anyway. 

I am editing to let you guys know I chronographed my gun with the 34 grain MKII pellets today before I went shooting...For 8 shots I got an average of 802 ft./s, with a 10 ft./s spread, a standard deviation of 3.5, and a yield of 48.5 ft.lbs energy. (3 1/2 ft.lbs energy more than I had before) :) My previous average before changing the o-rings with these pellets was 775 ft,/s. that gave me 45 ft. lbs energy. Not that it matters other than to show that something improved besides ending the slow air leak.

Best regards to all, Chuck

I explain that in the subtext below the pictures Fateddie...gee whiz! I hope by documenting my experience with these issues you and others may benefit. I personally saw no reason to adjust the regulator while i had it out, but Ernest Rowe/Sniperlabyo has a video showing how to do it it anyone is interested. If i need more power i will just get my Sumatra out and use it. Good luck Eddie.