• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Definition of Magnum

A magnum spring rifle is something you don't want and will probably never need unless the urge to scratch that "mine's bigger than yours" itch just can't be denied. I have owned four or five "magnum" spring rifles. In the end they have all been tuned DOWN to around 18 to 19 FPE if they were .22s and 14 to 16 FPE if they were .177s. That's about the top limit for acceptable accuracy in spring rifles to my mind (your mileage will no doubt vary).

Over the years I have seen a lot of people buy those magnum spring rifles but in the end I have always seen them seek out a bit more accuracy at the expense of a little bit of power. There was a Judge name Roy Bean in the old west. He used to say, "Son, speed is fine. Accuracy is final." He was right.

I love the big guns but when I picked up my little D430L this evening I thought, "My that's a heavy little rifle!" It's not a magnum... It is a tack driver... and I am getting old.

I had an old gamo whisper ,13yrs old I think, and it was very accurate. I would have considered it a "magnum" @ 15fpe. But I think the term is more of a joke than anything. Marketing terminology. You can get a .177 up to 100 FPE if you chose the right gun/parts. But I guarantee you won't hear anyone call any of the top tier guns (power-wise) magnums.

I've heard any number of terms for fpe levels used...Low Powered, Mid powered, Magnum, even heard/seen several bounce the term Ultra Magnum out there so I'd guess it depends on who you might be reading/talking to and I'll chuck it in there just for chuckles.

Take it with a grain of salt considering the differing opinions out there but what I've gathered from my measly 5 1/2 years back shooting:

-Low Powered - anything under 12fpe

-Mid Powered - anything 12-16fpe

-Magnum Powered - anything from 17to 21/22fpe

-Ultra Magnum - anything 23fpe and higher

I use the term Ultra Magnum loosely because again, most shooters tend to lump anything over 18fpe in what they consider Magnum springers and it's also been awhile since I've read where anyone used the term Ultra Magnum for one.

It might have meaning with a particular manufacturer, or within a particular sport (though I don't know of one that defines it), but for the most part it's just a marketing term. Wherever you find a 'magnum' you will find a rifle (or pistol) without that moniker that is more powerful. Only the numbers will tell you a true story.

Also, I have a Gamo Extreme Hunter - the 'Extreme' part is trying to hold on to it well enough to get two sequential shots to land in the same county...

GsT

It might have meaning with a particular manufacturer, or within a particular sport (though I don't know of one that defines it), but for the most part it's just a marketing term. Wherever you find a 'magnum' you will find a rifle (or pistol) without that moniker that is more powerful. Only the numbers will tell you a true story.

Also, I have a Gamo Extreme Hunter - the 'Extreme' part is trying to hold on to it well enough to get two sequential shots to land in the same county...

GsT

I think the post above yours has it about right.

There is one obvious sign it's a magnum...

perfectbreak-barrelscorebigarmBver.1613101161.JPG

I always think of those silly Gamo magnums. Can't hit the side of a barn.

Aim smaller. ;)

swarmmag22_version2.1613101269.jpg

(gamo .22 magnum, about 30FPE at the muzzle, for whatever that's worth.)

That would put that pellet at about 920 fps out of that rifle. If that were the case that group would be a one in fifty group.

Show us a ten dimes target from that rifle. 

http://oldspooks.com/agstuff/Targets/challenges/