• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Defense against racoons?

GT350

Apr 17, 2020
CT
Hello. New member here. I have been battling racoons getting into my garbage, knocking over the cans even when I put five bricks on top, gnawing through fasteners to keep the lid closed, etc. and I was ok with that. But now, they just destroyed a brand new screen door (ripped the screen, broke the skirt), got into my sun room, got their dirty paw marks on everything, left me a giant poo and pee to clean up, and I'm done playing nice.

So I got my Leshiy 2 REPR .30 cal ready to go to war. I've seen racoons dispatched with this gun on Youtube but I'm wondering if more people have experience putting down larger animals like this with this caliber? Do I need a headshot or will double-triple tap be enough?

I'm planning on getting the new 9mm version but it's expensive so I need to sell all my air guns to get it. :oops:

.30 in plenty for coons . with any cal . it is always shot placement . 9MM or .35 same same . what are you planning to do ? deer

Lure them into a safe shot with pork chop bones from the dinner table , They cannot resist , stake the bone down so as to give you time to place head shot .

.30 in plenty for coons . with any cal . it is always shot placement . 9MM or .35 same same . what are you planning to do ? deer

Lure them into a safe shot with pork chop bones from the dinner table , They cannot resist , stake the bone down so as to give you time to place head shot .
I never thought of staking it down. That's a great idea. The other night when I was still 30 yards away, they saw my gun light and bolted into the woods. :eek:/ Last night I left a light on shining outside and put a camera out until after 12:30am but they didn't come back. I think they're scared of the light out there. But if I approach at night with my gun light, they run. I guess I need a thermal scope. Now I just need a million dollars for one. haha

I never thought of staking it down. That's a great idea. The other night when I was still 30 yards away, they saw my gun light and bolted into the woods. :eek:/ Last night I left a light on shining outside and put a camera out until after 12:30am but they didn't come back. I think they're scared of the light out there. But if I approach at night with my gun light, they run. I guess I need a thermal scope. Now I just need a million dollars for one. haha
just leave the light on a few nights they will get used to it on .maybe put some sacrificial scraps out and they learn where to get food .

Get them use to the lights and they will not worry about them after a few nights. This will also give you time to find out what their traveling habits are, and when and where they are moving to and from. Let them get comfortable first and know you may loose a few more garbage cans and have to clean up a bit more, but this will calm them down and make them not as skittish.

30 will be plenty and a 44.75 to the vitals will be plenty too unless you plan to keep the skins or something. Otherwise a headshot isn’t necessary. Put one of those pellets anywhere in the chest area and even if it manages to scamper off a bit it won’t be returning.
"scamper off" ? DO not do this, Cruelty at it's finest . To let anything suffer and die later is just unacceptable .

Get them use to the lights and they will not worry about them after a few nights. This will also give you time to find out what their traveling habits are, and when and where they are moving to and from. Let them get comfortable first and know you may loose a few more garbage cans and have to clean up a bit more, but this will calm them down and make them not as skittish.
Thank you. I'm new here and already learning a ton!

Reactions: woogie_man
"scamper off" ? DO not do this, Cruelty at it's finest . To let anything suffer and die later is just unacceptable .
Your story…but every deer I have arrowed over the 20+ years I have been bow hunting has “scampered” off. I guess archery is un ethical ?? In fact most rifle shot deer run off when shot in the heart or lungs. I have no idea where this must head shot everything notion started in the airgun community. It baffles me. Truth of it is if only a headshot is ethical you aren’t using enough weapon for the job.

Your story…but every deer I have arrowed over the 20+ years I have been bow hunting has “scampered” off. I guess archery is un ethical ?? In fact most rifle shot deer run off when shot in the heart or lungs. I have no idea where this must head shot everything notion started in the airgun community. It baffles me. Truth of it is if only a headshot is ethical you aren’t using enough weapon for the job.
I was taught; big game: go for the vitals, not the head*it likes to move around more.**and wait for broadside shots

I was taught; big game: go for the vitals, not the head*it likes to move around more.**and wait for broadside shots
Yeah def on big game as that is the bigger target. I guess if you are close enough to be sure of the headshot it is instant death if placed right. Things can go wrong with them as well as any shot. A chest hit on a coon with a 30 is a done deal though for sure. I guess I should be in bed already really so maybe why I came off as an arse to beerthief. Didn’t mean it to sound that attacking. Lol. Sorry man if you read this.

Use a red light as most animals don't seem to be spooked by red. I've used a red laser sight and it would just make them curious and light up their eyes. Red headlamp will work too but one that is static and doesn't move around might be better.

Meat or dry dog food works but will have the cats and dogs after it too. Grapes/ other fruit are good but the possums will go after that. I've heard mini marshmallows too but haven't had good luck with them. I keep my binos handy for positive I.D. first.

I harvested a monster this weekend with a 22 caliber 25 gr. JSB MRD at 30 yards. One shot and he rolled over onto his back clutching at the air and was done. Shot placement is king.

Reactions: GT350
Yeah def on big game as that is the bigger target. I guess if you are close enough to be sure of the headshot it is instant death if placed right. Things can go wrong with them as well as any shot. A chest hit on a coon with a 30 is a done deal though for sure. I guess I should be in bed already really so maybe why I came off as an arse to beerthief. Didn’t mean it to sound that attacking. Lol. Sorry man if you read this.
Im not offended in any way, but we were talking coons not big game, i do have a friend in WIS. that only does head shot deer dropped on the spot.