• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Defective Pellets?

I purchased a new batch of jsb Mark II's about 2 months ago. Since then I've had to send my maverick into the shop with a jammed loading mechanism blaming it on the gun. Now I find my huben has loaded up the barrel with broken pellets which jammed it up and I've sent it in to get fixed professionally because I don't know what all I tore up. Started with accuracy, loading problems. I'm trying to accept this responsibility as mine I don't think it's the gun in fact I know it's not the gun. I Wonder has anyone else seen some discrepancies or have some problems that have some questions in their mind now. I've never seen anything like this before but there's something going on and I'm not going to use any of these pellets. I have some older batches that I had no troubles with, I'm just confused and a little wary any input any experience. Am I nuts?

Have you measured them with calipers? Very strange, my last pellet order were FX branded as they're a buck or two cheaper and ultimately I found them to be of higher quality and better consistency in terms of weight distribution, something to consider!

I hope JSB get's back on the ball because I've heard quite a few complaints about their quality as of late. I think @blackdiesel works @ jsb?

-Matt

Reactions: Gerry52
JSB uses multiple dies in the production of JSB branded pellets while JSB uses a single die for FX pellets. All produced and inspected by JSB staff. So I expect to see more variations in JSB branded pellets vs FX branded pellets ex: 25.39 g in .22

Shame, with all the negative feedback not sure why JSB doesn't hold higher standards for their own brand, hmm.

-Matt

Shame, with all the negative feedback not sure why JSB doesn't hold higher standards for their own brand, hmm.

-Matt
Yea I don’t understand with today’s technology why JSB dies can’t be the same. Maybe we need JSB Airgun Nation branded pellets using only 1 die for each different caliber & weight.

Don't get me wrong, i can't definitively prove Mark II were bad. just 2 guns with similar failures? Just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of such a thing???
talked to Joe @ predator about it. he's looking into it. I probably should have become suspicious when my pellets were falling out of the wheel of my Huben. if you shoot Huben, you know you seat pellets/slugs. they don't fall out!
my suspect is the skirt is cracking or separating from the head. I'm probably wrong.

Don't get me wrong, i can't definitively prove Mark II were bad. just 2 guns with similar failures? Just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of such a thing???
talked to Joe @ predator about it. he's looking into it. I probably should have become suspicious when my pellets were falling out of the wheel of my Huben. if you shoot Huben, you know you seat pellets/slugs. they don't fall out!
my suspect is the skirt is cracking or separating from the head. I'm probably wrong.
Seems more likely the pellet probe is damaging the pellets, or could it also be the magazine. If it happen again with the Maverick try loading a pellet. Then push pellet out and check for damage, make sure the gun is de-gassed first.
Check the alignment of the cylinder/magazine to barrel on the Huben with a bore scope. Also, after the gun is de-gassed.

The last 4 tins of JSB pellets I bought all contained, in my opinion, a high amount of visual defective pellets (damaged skirts). I recently bought FX branded pellets and I've only found a few damaged skirts. However, I got a little overboard and started weighing and sizing a tin.

The majority of the .177 10.3 grain pellets weighed between 10.28 to 10.38 grains. There were approximately 75 pellets that weighed over or under that spread.

Approximately 350 of the 10.2 to 10.38 pellets were either .451mm or .450mm, with a pretty even split. The remains were .452mm.

Reactions: oledawg
The last 4 tins of JSB pellets I bought all contained, in my opinion, a high amount of visual defective pellets (damaged skirts). I recently bought FX branded pellets and I've only found a few damaged skirts. However, I got a little overboard and started weighing and sizing a tin.

The majority of the .177 10.3 grain pellets weighed between 10.28 to 10.38 grains. There were approximately 75 pellets that weighed over or under that spread.

Approximately 350 of the 10.2 to 10.38 pellets were either .451mm or .450mm, with a pretty even split. The remains were .452mm.
Sounds pretty consistent with my measurements on .22 JSB’s. Similar variations in weight and size. I wish JSB would package pellets by each die used instead of mixing several die production together.

The JSB MK2's in Canada comes in 5 or 6 pack MFG boxes so these are my batches. From ZAN in contrast the MK1's are repacked by single tins how I purchased in the past.
So I have some "modest" stock from couple years back.
What I have learned is that whenever I open a tin, I always "slug" that pellet to a liner I am planning to use.
And here I discovered the differences in MK2 skirt wall thickness, how these squeez into to "lead-in", I could feel the resistance with my fingers. And let me tell you the MK1's are even more noticeable for skirt thickness.
For this same reason I started re-sizing both the MK1 and MK2 to my specific liner, to get the ratio " head-to-skirt" a generous=common dimension. The only difference remains the CoG ( head dia center to skirt bottom).
Not to stearup a drama, your practice my differ.

Reactions: oledawg
I have stopped using JSB's, several tins in a row that have had about 30-40% that had damaged skirts and what look like deformed pellets. Just got in a bunch of FX pellets and so far pretty good, the first 500 tin had a few with bent skirts but only about 10 so I'll take that. I was using JTS but I will no longer support them but I have to say they were the cleanest most uniform pellets I've used in some time.

…I probably should have become suspicious when my pellets were falling out of the wheel of my Huben. if you shoot Huben, you know you seat pellets/slugs. they don't fall out!
If you can remember, can you take photos of this and post them?

Seems more likely the pellet probe is damaging the pellets, or could it also be the magazine. If it happen again with the Maverick try loading a pellet. Then push pellet out and check for damage, make sure the gun is de-gassed first.
Check the alignment of the cylinder/magazine to barrel on the Huben with a bore scope. Also, after the gun is de-gassed.
Hubens K1s don’t have pellet probes. If the pellets are falling out of the mag the only way I can think of the mag damaging the pellet is if they’re sliding within the mag and hanging up on or around the breech as the fixed magazine advances. This is definitely possible. @Keyman62421 has your Huben jammed shooting the JSB King Heavy MkIIs?

I would also question pellets coming apart on their own and damaging a gun. But I don't think inconsistent quality is unique to JSBs. I had one good tin of Crosman 10.5s that shot as well at JSB 10.5s and H&N Baracuda Match in my P35-177. So I bought two more and they were pretty bad. I then bought a pellet head size plate and measured the remaining pellets from the "good" tin and a bunch of the pellets from the two "bad" tins. The bad tins were terribly inconsistent in head size with pellets matching every hole of the plate, I think there are 10. The good tin was about as consistent as the H&N in head size and similar in head size. I only measured a few of the JSBs but they are smaller but seemed to be pretty consistent.

More recently I seem to have run into a bad tin of H&N Baracuda Match 177 caliber pellets. The 452 head size worked the best in it this summer so I stocked up. Now one of the first 3 tins is shooting significantly worse than an open tin of .450 head size. I haven't started opening the other tins yet to see how far spread the issue is. I wish I knew how to read the labels on H&N pellets to see how closely related the "bad" tin is to the others I have on hand. I need to run some through my pellet head size gauge to see if it tells me anything.

I had a similar experience once. Are you using factory magazines? I bought some aftermarket magazines from an advertiser on this site. I read the description very carefully before purchasing. When I wrote and told him what was happening, he asked if I was using a pin probe. I said yes I was, and that was the ONLY mod to the gun. His magazine was made with a heavy spring cranked tight to cycle the extra deep magazine full of heavy for caliber slugs. It was so strong it was cutting the pellets in half between the head and the skirt. he told me the pin probe with his magazines was a no-go. He quickly refunded my money, and added the warning to his website which was not there before I purchased. Now, I stick to factory magazines. I'm not going to adjust my barrels magazine gap just to use someone's special purpose mag, and I prefer the FX factory magazines on which the spring tension can be adjuated. On his magazines, the case was sealed and could not be adjusted. I learned a lot more about aftermarket magazines than I wanted to the hard way.

Are you certain that the pellets are the correct size for the rifles. I mean two guns with the same issue seems that if the pellets were .20 caliber instead of .22 caliber for instance, maybe that might be the issue? Especially since your comment on them falling out of the magazine.
I have had JSB tins in the past that had different size calibers within, not all, but many.
Just a thought.
mike