Deer hunting pcp

I know of people that have dropped larger game with smaller calibers. While I can't say that I agree with the guy that took a small elk with a .30cal slugs in an Impact (from his vehicle), Derrick Wall humanely dispatched a deer in TX with a .308 at just under 100y IIRC, but Derrick is an ethical hunter and had a clean shot that he was comfortable with. 

Can't really comment on stories that I've heard of people dropping deers with .22 pellets, but I would start by checking with your local laws or those in the area that you plan to hunt. I'm not aware of any airgun hunting laws for larger game in the U.S. that are "unethical", but as a general rule - the closer the better with the largest caliber that works for you,

@ifaug I would also check your local hunting regulations. Some states have min caliber and power limits for airguns to use them legal on big game. Idaho Montana and Utah for example to the best of my knowledge are all 35 cal and above and for some game Idaho mandates 45 cal and above plus a min of 350 ft/lbs at muzzle so your budget options become very limited to be legal. 

Guys reread my post and my comments

Once again I HAVE ENOUGH 450, 300wsm 25-06 rounds to last an enterity BUT I’m looking for if poop hits the fan, or if they force ammo out something to use that is quiet untraceable easy to mold bullets for no need for powder or primers( will use some of my stash for bartering

at this point I won’t be concerned with what os legal,, only something lethal. If all the gun grabbers succeed in grabbing guns the pcp is

a- no serial number no trtace

b no 4473

this is what I’m wanting a pcpfor deer hunting just looking for a good accurate economical one prob in a 45 or 50

Air force makes good big bore air rifles capable of taking deer at 100 yards or a little more. I would get 45 or 50 caliber. There are a few others but I would shop for something with at least 500 fpe. (in powder burners the usual rule is 1000 ft lbs minimum)

Smaller air rifles, through at least 30 caliber, could kill a deer with a brain shot but may or may not be legal where you live. 357 is kind of in-between. Lots of you tube videos showing successful hunts but I'm sure there are others too. Power is about like a 38 special. Wouldn't really recommend it. If you miss a major bone you should get to the vitals but you won't shoot through a good sized deer.

problem is in any real shtf scenario your gonna be hand pumping .. and really big bores get like 2 or 3 shots on a giant tank .. not feasible really .. so with that consideration, a bulldog is dooable for 'medium game' .. your gonna need a big ldc on it and a depinger to get it quiet'er' ... a decent .22 you can handpump will be the bread and butter provider though for eating rotisseri crow etc lol ...

I would say get a .30, something you can make really quiet. Most larger big bores are harder to quiet down unless they have a long moderator on them. 

Also, I don’t believe there are any available that meet every thing you listed. Quiet, affordable and accurate and big bores don’t really go together. You can get two out of the three maybe. 

FloridaBullfrog has a good video on YouTube where he reviews the Texan .30 and tunes it up for slugs and down for pellets. He also takes a doe with that same Texan using a special permit. 

AEA seems to be making some decent big bores on the cheap, but I’ve never tried one. I would suggest a Texan SS, an FX Impact in .30 or .357, a AGT Uragan in .30, AAA Slayer or Evol , RAW HMX1000 in .30 but most of these are not really affordable to people just getting into Airguns. The budget for PCP stuff also needs to include a pump and most likely a compressor and tank, plus fill setup.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Mtnghost

this is for when crap hits the fan,, have plenty of guns and ammo for regular season and regular time. Just thought maybe quieter easier to get ammo if stuffs gets politically worse

Ahhh! In that case, I can say that I have opted for a .45 Texan (TX2 valve). I bought some round ball molds for when I run out of 240gr & 500gr slugs. The Mad Dog stock is pretty solid, but it's still light and compact enough to hunt with. I have three different hand pumps with rebuild kits and about 50lbs of B70/90 & Viton o-rings lol

EAD70C2D-C6D7-4EEB-B140-84AF21CFE61A.1631033758.jpeg

I like my bulldog. It's easy to handle in hunting situations. I like the numbers on a texan but think manoeuvring would be difficult. I also have a aea challenger 30 that is a powerhouse and also easy to handle. Both the bulldog and challenger are adorned with moderators to make them backyard friendly. Not city lot friendly if you ask me but an acre lot it doesnt call to much attention. Both setups were under 800$ each including moderators and some upgrades.