• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Deer Hunting Minnesota

Can anyone site me anything in Minnesota law that prevents someone from deer hunting with my big bore PCP air rifle? I checked the entire DNR manual and they make no mention of air rifle hunting for big game. It is not a firearm. It is not a muzzleloader. It is not a bow or crossbow. so any law pertaining to those methods does not apply.
I believe in the United States of America, if a law is not written to prohibit something, it is legal.

Airguns are not legal to hunt deer with in MN. Have asked for many years and they keep telling me NO.

Come over to ND where you can hunt deer with an airgun.

Your ideas of " if a law is not written to prohibit something, it is legal " is a GREAT way to wind up in prison or worse. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.

All states that I am aware of specify legal equipment for taking big game, if not listed it is illegal to use. Didn't take me two minutes to look up MN big game legal equipment. Air rifles are not listed, so they are illegal period. Page 58 of their online manual. Section is labelled
"Equipment for taking big game". Read it, if what you want to use is not specified, it is illegal to use.

@gohip2000 Have you checked here? Pretty decent resource. Didn’t see deer on the list so it seems pretty self-explanatory.

I have called the MNDNR multiple times to ask on different things. Just give them a call and ask them specifically about deer hunting with an airgun.

Don't trust anything that list and article or anything like that, it is way better to just call and talk to the DNR to make sure the rules you are reading are correct.

Your right. There it is, in vague terms, "Equipment for Taking Big Game." It says nothing about this is the approved equipment, or this equipment is optional. But your right, they will interpret it to mean this is the only valid method even though they didn't state or clarify that this is the only legal way for taking big game.

And to those of you who think that something must be expressly written into law to be legal. That is an ass-backwards way of thinking in this free country called the United States of America. It's troubling that so many of you think this way. Our country is based on freedom and unless something is against the law, you have the right to do it.

Hunting elephants at a zoo would be illegal because that is the property of someone else. If the zoo gave you permission to do it, I bet it is legal, unless there is another state or federal law that prohibits it.

Our country is gaining more and more of this troubled new generation that thinks you need permission to do everything and that is not what our country was founded on.
I definitely like ND better than this liberal stuck up state of Minnesota. I do have plans to get the hell out of here, but I am choosing SD, WY, or TX. They have some of the dumbest laws in Minnesota, like no rifle hunting in the southern half. If you think shotgun slugs are safer, then you really haven't tested how easy they ricochet off the ground and take down tree limbs or seen how far a slug actually will fly. Many of the laws in this state are based on fokelore instead of reality. I had the DNR try to interrogate me and my family, just to let us out on the lake, when the boat registration was clearly valid. Sorry DNR, I don't have to answer any of your interrogation if everything I'm doing is legal. It's called the 4th amendment and the 5th amendment. I have not even launched the boat or started fishing so you can't already have suspected me of committing a crime. They also told me and my kids we needed a permit to catch frogs. Really! If there is anyone in MN I trust the least, it's the DNR. They will in-fact plant evidence if they don't like what your doing and know that you have broken no laws. This is not the case will all state's game and fish or DNR, but Minnesota is particularly filled with assholes looking to prove their power. Another DNR officer tried to accuse me of poaching when a deer jumped out in front of my truck, and luckily there were wittnesses who vouched that the deer did in fact jump out in front of me. If you act like a free man in Minnesota, they will get you, even if they have to do totally corrupt things to do it. If your thinking about moving here, don't do it. It will be the biggest mistake of your life.

Airguns are not legal to hunt deer with in MN. Have asked for many years and they keep telling me NO.

Come over to ND where you can hunt deer with an airgun.

Your ideas of " if a law is not written to prohibit something, it is legal " is a GREAT way to wind up in prison or worse. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.
"Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law." If it is isn't a law, then your not breaking a law and if any judge or jury finds you guilty of something when you broke no law, that judge needs to be investigated and you should get a re-trial. Just because law enforcement doesn't like something doesn't mean they get to make up the law as they go. I know exactly what your saying. The laws are not followed in the many of the courts in the US so you are taking a big risk by living free and by the written law because law does not matter when a certain section of society wants to put you in jail for something that isn't against the law. Or they purposefully leave laws vague so that they can decide, at the time of court or ticketing, what they want the law to mean and depending on who you talk to, it could mean one thing or something different.

Can anyone site me anything in Minnesota law that prevents someone from deer hunting with my big bore PCP air rifle? I checked the entire DNR manual and they make no mention of air rifle hunting for big game. It is not a firearm. It is not a muzzleloader. It is not a bow or crossbow. so any law pertaining to those methods does not apply.
I believe in the United States of America, if a law is not written to prohibit something, it is legal.
I called the DNR the other day 9/12/2023 and they have no clue how advanced our Pcp rifles are.. and then I emailed Dave Liselgard about bringing it up in the senate.. we all have to contact our lawmakers and congressmen/women so they are able to put this matter on the docket for a vote.. and somehow somebody else is going to have to explain the science behind this to them.. we'll need to get this matter into a special session for a discussion and a vote 🗳 call 📞 your congressman or senators EVERYONE