• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EDgun Deep scratch on Lelya 2.0 air cylinder

I'm in the process of fixing a leak on my Lelya 2.0. Eventually, I tracked it down to the gauge and contacted EDgun West about it. They were unresponsive, so I turned to EDgun Shop and ordered a replacement gauge from them. That one arrived with what looked like corrosion on it, so I returned it for a Wika, which arrived yesterday. Today, I slid out the air cylinder as carefully as possible so I could degas it and install the new gauge. Upon inspection, I noticed two ~44.5mm parallel scratches on it, with one of them being deep enough to catch my fingernail. Had both been superficial scratches I'd chalk it up to me removing the cylinder. But the deep one concerned me. Something like that would require considerable force. And then there's the issue of them being the same length and completely parallel to one another. It looked like something had repeatedly and consistently scraped across the surface.

IMG_1795.jpg

With these ideas in mind, I took out the calipers and began measuring. One of the first things I noticed was two pins sticking out of the carriage assembly. I measured them.

IMG_1804.jpg

They're approximately 10.84mm apart. Next, I measured how far apart the scratches were.

IMG_1805.jpg

Ah, there we go. 10.84mm on the dot. But what about length? Why would both scratches be ~44.5mm long? Can you guess how far the carriage travels when you cock the gun? That's right! About 44.5mm! But why is one deeper than the other. Well, I almost always grab the left lever when cocking thereby tilting the carriage more to that side.

So, at this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to fill it, especially considering what happened to that Leshiy. EDgun West ghosted me when I brought up a faulty $30 gauge, so there's no way he'd offer a much more expensive air cylinder. And even if I got a replacement, wouldn't the same thing happen again? Man, the Lelya was supposed to be something I buy and not worry much about it. I really like the form factor, but this thing has so many little problems. Maybe I should've bought something else. In any case, do I fill it up and chance it?

Yeah, mostly agree.
The depth and the "sharpness" in the root of the scratch is what would bother me.

As you noted about the Leshiy, I've also seen the outcome of scratches and dents on full sized industrial tanks that decided to..."open up" ! NOT pretty.

On one hand, I'd order another tube, on the other hand, I'd still use the gun, BUT, I wouldn't go over 200bar...And keep a close eye, looking for any changes in either scratch, until the new tube comes to you.

Just my dime's (inflation) worth.

Mike

Yep, those screws definitely need to be shortened by maybe two threads. Not sure how old your gun is but in many areas of the world that damage to a high pressure vessel would result in a recall. Unless someone in the field replaced that screw with a longer one, it’s an engineering/assembly problem. They really should step up.

Reactions: KatoKevin454
Yep, those screws definitely need to be shortened by maybe two threads. Not sure how old your gun is but in many areas of the world that damage to a high pressure vessel would result in a recall. Unless someone in the field replaced that screw with a longer one, it’s an engineering/assembly problem. They really should step up.

I ordered it early this year directly from EDgun West. I assume it's from the newest batch at the time. I do wonder if it's an assembly issue. When I took the stock off the first time, I noticed someone at the factory had gotten overzealous with what looks like a tapping tool. It's surface damage but might've been a sign of things to come. I wanted an EDgun, not a DUDgun.

I ordered it early this year directly from EDgun West. I assume it's from the newest batch at the time. I do wonder if it's an assembly issue. When I took the stock off the first time, I noticed someone at the factory had gotten overzealous with what looks like a tapping tool. It's surface damage but might've been a sign of things to come. I wanted an EDgun, not a DUDgun.
It's still under warranty good luck on warranty support!

VERY unfortunate to hear these negative reports about support from EdGunWest... THE USA source for Edgun guns, service, and parts.

I'm steering clear of EdGun, particularly because of these issues, and the Leshiy 2 explosion. Just too much negativity surrounding these guns of such high expense.

Great customer support is an important thing with airguns and, at least in the USA... it does not look like EdGunsWest is worthy. :cautious:

Last edited:
So, it's almost three months later, and I got the Lelya back. Curious as to what was done, I took the air cylinder off and... the scratches are still there? I can't tell if it's the same as my old one as there's a new mark on it that I don't recognize. At least the screws on the carriage assembly don't stick out like they used to. But that cylinder, man. I don't know if I feel comfortable shooting it. This whole thing has been unnecessarily exhausting.

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

If the scratch isn’t through the anodizing, I wouldn’t sweat it. I’m going to check my Lelya in a few minutes.

If it was surface level I wouldn't be too concerned. However, the scratch is deep enough to catch my fingernail. And, really, I had assumed I'd get an undamaged cylinder if I sent it in for warranty work. That was not the case.

Well someone determined that the scratches were superficial and sent the gun back to you. If they are silver scratches, that means they are deep enough to be through the anodizing. Then I would be a little concerned. Just a little. You could keep an eye on them but that’s a waste of time. With 3,000+ psi, things don’t kinda start to rupture, they rupture.

Oatmeal did you ever get through to EdGun West on the telephone? Also, what does "ghosted" mean? Thanks

By the time my patience had worn thin, I finally received confirmation via e-mail that it was being shipped back to me. No reason to call him after that. And when someone ghosts you, it essentially means they stop communication.