• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dedal-NV Stalker 2. Is it possible?

If you're not familiar with the Dedal Stalker, it was a collaboration between Ed at EDgun and Dedal-NV who makes night vision optics for the Russian Military. The Dedal Stalker is a fixed 6X mil reticle, illuminated with mil turret adjustments. It's an excellent optic for close in work. It focuses down to 4 meters and the optical clarity is amazing even at longer distances. There's no "fish bowl" effect, it has edge-to-edge sharpness and the eye box/exit pupil is awesome.

I have one mounted on my Leshiy and I honestly think it's the perfect combination. I had a Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 F1 LPVO and compared it to the Dedal Stalker in regards to optical clarity at 6X and I must say that the Stalker was as clear if not better even at longer distances further than 125 meters which the NF NX8 parallax is set at.

The way I see it is that the current Stalker is perfect for its intended purposes. That's close in hunting within maybe 50 yards. It's designed as a holdover optic because the turrets are small and capped. There is no zero hash mark to know what you have it set at. In regards to magnification, 6x is excellent for close in work but that's it. I can understand if we're shooting at man sized silhouettes at further distances which a fixed 4x will do just fine but I want to shoot at squirrel sized heads.

I guess what I'm getting at is,...I'm wondering if it's possible if Ed can do another collaboration with Dedal to come up with a Stalker 2 or come up with a totally new scope and keep the current Stalker in their inventory because it's still a great optic.

These are my requirements lol...

• Low Power Variable Optic (LPVO). 1-8X or 1-10X. It can be SFP or FFP but of course SFP calibrated at the highest magnification or...
  • Fixed Power 10X magnification or...
  • 2.5-10x, 3-12x magnification. (I understand there are other optics in this range, especially made in China, but I want one made in Russia.
  • Reticle; Mil/Mil, Illuminated center dot with Daytime brightness especially if it's 1-8x or 1-10x LPVO. 
  • Turrets; Uncapped, repeatable tracking, .1 mil adjustments with zero stop.
  • Focus/Parallax Adjustment; Leave it be. I really like the focus knob on the Stalker with it's position on the top. I also like that the distances are not marked and it "clicks" when adjustments are made. It's easy to remember how many "clicks" from 10 yards to 50 yards need to be made by just counting the clicks.
  • Total Length; I love how compact the Stalker is at 161mm/6.33". I understand that if the magnification is going to be increased, the length would need to be increased. I think something in the 8 to 11 inch range would be nice for a compact optic.

I know there are no free lunches given the specs. Especially the price but I'm willing to splurge a little. I see this as the perfect scope for the new Leshiy 2. Anyone with me? 

PS: Ed, let me know when the Stalker 2 will be in production lol.

Excellent idea and would be great timing with Leshiy 2 release.

I am thrilled with my Edgun Dedal also, it is just excellent, as you explained, for what it was built for.

They really should come together for more projects if they aren't already.

I would be in for a Stalker 2 in a variable mag up to say up to10-12x, although if fixed I like a lower magnification. With the current model I was not sure if 6x would be enough, but it is really great for my use and I think 8x would be max for me on these Leshiys at least. Now considering the other guns in the "Edgun Mafia's" arsenal and those higher mags would certainly be a welcome option. Excellent stuff.

JT 

1589126395_16484023595eb824fb290988.51971168.jpg

I think a 1-6, 1-8 or 1-10 would be ideal. I don't see too many scopes in this range with a side focus or parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. I do like the reticle of the Stalker. It's clean. The numbering on the milliradians are on the lower portion of the reticle past the fifth mil and doesn't obstruct your target. If they came up with bigger turrets that track true and a center dot on the reticle which is daytime visible on the current Stalker, it would be nice.

I am in line for the new Leshiy 2 and am on the fence for what scope to get for it. I currently have a Crown continuum in .22 and have a 5 x 25 30mm scope on it as I plan to do some 100 yard bench shooting but I have been shooting it around the house pesting at around 30 to 50 yards and I find I like the scope on or around 12 power for the long shots. I have lowered it to 6 power and feel I’m not comfortable on offhand or using a door jam or shooting sticks as a rest out at 50 - 60 yards. I also find when under a squirrel or bird in a tree top I like the ability to turn the power down to get the largest field of view to find the target easily. I also do not care for the very fine busy reticles for woods hunting unless illuminated but that is just another thing to have to fool with which in hunting might cost an opportunity for a quick shot so just a medium size reticle is fine for me. There are some Nice 1 x 8 and 1x 10 power scopes being made for AR and other compact rifles but they don’t have parallax adjustment under 100 yards. definitely a void in medium price compact scopes for Airguns for hunting that have quality glass. Scope manufacturers have seemed to just have concentrated on high power overly large target scopes and forgot the compact hunting scopes we need on the compact Airguns . We are shooting for the most part under 100 yards but the scope manufacturers are marketing large heavy high magnification scopes as the guys shooting precision long range out 600 yards and farther are using . The only difference is the parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. I guess that is why there are restrictions on power settings in some competition shooting. So my thinking is a hunting scope variable 2 x 10 or 12 tops scope no longer than 10” with a simple medium reticle with 1mil hold over hash marks , illuminated. There are a a few scopes out there that come close to all these specs . I’m going to wait until I get the Leshiy and put a 3x12 Optisan I have on it and see how I like it before I decide on a new dedicated scope for it. 

This is a very interesting topic. Nothing has happened since the last post in May. Still now that the Edgun Leshiy 2 is already among us this is again a trend. I’ve definitively made up my mind and will go for a modern LPVO 1-8 or 1-10 for my Leshiy 2. I’ve been searching the market for something similar to what @Peskadot671 has been requesting here. Several new models have been recently been released for 2021, still I haven’t found anything similar except for the new March F 1-10x24 Shorty with double reticle FFP/SFC and parallax adjustment down to 10yds. This toy is going to be a blast, unfortunately its price tag is going to put it out of reach for the 90% of the mortals. Athlon Optics has come up with a brand new ARES UHD 1-10X24 FFP which pretty much tics all the boxes but still lacks the parallax adjustment, which makes it not perfect. Let’s just hope some manufacturer shows up with a new design at a reasonable price soon. In the meanwhile I’ll keep up with my research. 

@Kikopower This is the route I chose for now. NF NX8 2.5-20X50 F1 with LaRue QD mount. I'll be changing the scope mount to another one though because of clearance issues. Parallax for the NF goes down to 11 yards and at 2.5X with daytime bright illuminated reticle, it works out for me. I was also looking at the March F1 1-10X prior to the L2 coming out. 

Don't know if it's out yet and haven't seen any reviews. I'll wait till there are some before putting that kind of cash down. For a true 1X, I've come to love a red dot on my L2. I had a spare Aimpoint Micro T1 with LaRue QD mount that I wasn't using and decided to have it as part my L2 load out. I've really come to love it especially for fast moving pest like chickens which got me into airguns.

20210118_174402.1611434572.jpg

20210104_145907.1611434802.jpg

20210104_150334.1611434983.jpg

For pesting 70 and in the Stalker is very hard to beat in terms of pesting productivity. It is simple, flexible and fast on target. If the Stalker2 has usable turrets and 1/2 mil marks on the reticle it will be even better. If it has an open center dot reticle... even better. Lastly, a little more magnification like 7-9 would make it about perfect. For me the addl mag is the last on the list as 6X works out great for me. I personally would likely opt out on variable unless it has a dual plane reticle.

I have and use a TS12 as well. I really like the reticle above 6-8X and usable turrets. The size works well too. The parallax is not as flexible as the Stalker and the reticle is too thin around or below 6X.

I have a NF NX8 2.5-20. It is short for what it is and has many pluses. It is a great scope and Very good on a Matador Std or bigger gun, but is simply heavy for a Lelya, Leshiy or Leshiy2 IMO.

For me there is simply no way to discount the Stalker. I still think it is one of the single best pesting optics available.

The Stalker 2 is of great interest if there is one in the pipeline.

@JWilson Yes, I agree on a lot of the points you stated about the Dedal Stalker. I feel like a need to pickup a second one because it's that good.

@18.13 I've been looking at that 2nd gen Helos BTR since Athlon announced it but I'm not sure who currently has it in stock or if it's even out yet. I'll probably get one for my Huntsman Regal.