• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Decreasing Regulator Pressure Without Damage?

I’m back guys. Each day that passes by generates more questions. I have an FX Crown Continuum MK2. I’ve heard that one should never decrease regulator pressure without bleeding it down first, or it could damage the reg/gun. However, I was just watching this video and it was mentioned that with the “new” FX regulators, one can adjust up or down, without issues. Can anyone confirm this? I’d hate to ruin a brand new gun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzs_muWHE5s&t=1773s

Starting with the introduction of the AMP regulator, you can dial it down in small increments and dry fire to bring the plenum down to the new setpoint...repeat until you reach the desired setpoint.

If in doubt, degas first. You don’t want any uncertainty or distrust in the event you need to troubleshoot a problem that has any relationship with the regulator.

Having experienced regulator issues first hand, I always degas first when decreasing reg pressure. I don’t care what Steve says in his video. You easily run the risk of damaging your regulator’s soft delrin piston, and its $22 to replace each time plus the headache of getting your gun to reseal correctly once tearing into the reg housing. 

When you decrease reg pressure you are trying to turn against 1000’s of psi (never a good thing). Increasing reg pressure on the other hand is no problem because the pressure working with you.

If you still insist on decreasing reg pressure under load, then do not exceed 1/4 turn increments, dry fire a few times, repeat as needed. And then pray didn’t muck up your gun.

I agree with the small adjustments.

Really, it's so easy to degass for anything that you might think is a large adjustment- why not just degass? I switch from .25 cal to .177 frequently and from the short 350 mm barrel to the 700 mm barrel in .25.

I just include unscrewing the bottle a little bit & dry fire once along with the probe, barrel and mag change.

If it's only a few PSI, I'll lower it gassed up, but having owned older Impacts and other reg'd guns, I wince like a EOD technician defusing a IED when doing so :) 

I hear that the AMP is much more rugged and I believe I've a full year with it in my Continuum, & no problems. Having had problems with regs in the past.... I'd rather take the additional steps for anything close to a 1/4 turn.

just got my mk2 continuum yesterday, reading the owners manual.....

adjusting reg.1611400220.jpg

FX is infamous for their owners manuals. This latest version seems to be one generation behind- much superior to earlier manuals I've recieved with other FX guns I've purchased.

They used to be comical in their references, oft times referring to a different rifle or pistol than the one the manual shipped with. When doubt, call the FX customer service line and get the latest insights. The newish USA team is a big improvement over previous support.