HW/Weihrauch Decision Time - .20 HW77K vs .22 HW77

I forgot Crow owns most of the .20 ammo in Canada now LOL and he doesn't sell it
I don’t know how I got thrown in the equasion.
I‘ve had .20 cal. for about 2 years now. JSB’s 13.74 were always available. I even asked if they would bring in 15.89’s, which he did at AGS. Both are available to this day, I just checked. So get yours now before I get them all. 😜I’m after a few sleeves of FTT’s then I’m done.
‘Also no one has ever asked to buy my ammo. Have no problem. I don’t mind helping anyone that’s decent to me. Please don’t put words in my mouth. Crow

I bought all the other cal. in springers swearing not to buy .20 cal. always thinking these rounds weren’t available and no choice of ammo. My biggest mistake with airguns. Crow
I also love the 20, just added a 98 in 20 to the lineup. Rx2, 90,95&98. They all are extremely accurate in that caliber and great for hunting, pests, and target shooting. Jsb 13.74 works well.

HW77's have been spoiled to me by the stock design change Ron mentioned upthread, making it impossible to use the supplied iron sights (or others) with these guns. However, an early HW77K in .20 or .22 cal would be JUST what I want next.

The improved balance and handling of the K trumps the sight span advantage of the longer barrel version, especially in offhand shooting, roving in the woods IMHO.

Reactions: Bandito
HW77's have been spoiled to me by the stock design change Ron mentioned upthread, making it impossible to use the supplied iron sights (or others) with these guns. However, an early HW77K in .20 or .22 cal would be JUST what I want next.

The improved balance and handling of the K trumps the sight span advantage of the longer barrel version, especially in offhand shooting, roving in the woods IMHO.
I am really hoping the stock is usable for me. I have high cheekbones. If it’s a bit tight, I’ll get a riser for whatever diopter I end up with.

You might actually talk to Krale when the time comes about special ordering you something in .20 just to see what kind of pricing they'll give you on it vs ordering from AoA and all the associated extra costs. You'll probably have more than a bit of waiting time, but time to save for it. I'm another fan of the caliber and although in the US, most things I want are all mail order since there are no brick and mortar stores anywhere near me.
While there was a time during the Covid mess .20 cal pellets were hard to find in the US, that time has passed and it's fairly easily found from Trenier for both weights of the JSB and PA usually has the H&N along with AoA. Even Hatsan USA of all places sells the H&N FTT .20 cal pellets and where I got my last small batch from. Only sad part is H&N stopped doing the 500 count tins and now only makes them in 250 count tins.

You might actually talk to Krale when the time comes about special ordering you something in .20 just to see what kind of pricing they'll give you on it vs ordering from AoA and all the associated extra costs. You'll probably have more than a bit of waiting time, but time to save for it. I'm another fan of the caliber and although in the US, most things I want are all mail order since there are no brick and mortar stores anywhere near me.
While there was a time during the Covid mess .20 cal pellets were hard to find in the US, that time has passed and it's fairly easily found from Trenier for both weights of the JSB and PA usually has the H&N along with AoA. Even Hatsan USA of all places sells the H&N FTT .20 cal pellets and where I got my last small batch from. Only sad part is H&N stopped doing the 500 count tins and now only makes them in 250 count tins.
I wonder if the 250 count is a $$ price thing ? , a lot of places in the world a 500 count tin would be very expensive for some .

H&N at the time said it was issues with the company that makes the pellet tins for them. Buy 2 tins at current prices and it's more than a single tin of 500 used to sell for, but the same could be said for pretty much every other brand out there considering the rise in pellet prices the last couple years.
Honestly didn't need the ones I bought from Hatsan USA, but it's been a habit for 4-5 years now to order a few tins of something in .20 when I order other pellets and I have a very healthy stash :)

I am really hoping the stock is usable for me. I have high cheekbones. If it’s a bit tight, I’ll get a riser for whatever diopter I end up with.
Its not the rear riser that's hard to find. It's the front sight riser that's impossible to find. Both need to be raised the same amount of the you'll be out of adjustment range. Bear of Grayling made a front riser that would work. Check with him here for advice if it comes to that.

Its not the rear riser that's hard to find. It's the front sight riser that's impossible to find. Both need to be raised the same amount of the you'll be out of adjustment range. Bear of Grayling made a front riser that would work. Check with him here for advice if it comes to that.
Thanks for heads up on that, Capt.

Airforce TS1 front globe looks like it could be the a solution. Big vertical adjustment built into the base

I had a 97 in 20, thought I was trading up with a Beeman RX2 in 20 cal as I used it for hunting. It wasn’t close to as accurate as that 97 was and I miss it. So now I just picked up a used BSA R10MK2 in 177 and bought a LW 20 caliber blank. I’m going to replace the 177 and make a 20 caliber R10. Hope I get the accuracy along with the power.

I had a 97 in 20, thought I was trading up with a Beeman RX2 in 20 cal as I used it for hunting. It wasn’t close to as accurate as that 97 was and I miss it. So now I just picked up a used BSA R10MK2 in 177 and bought a LW 20 caliber blank. I’m going to replace the 177 and make a 20 caliber R10. Hope I get the accuracy along with the power.
And for crying out loud….just got a notification from AOA that they have walnut stocked 20 caliber 97k’s IN STOCK…don’t really want to spend the $ on that right now…. Anyone want a 177 HW97k w/ less than 100 pellets through it?😁

I couldn’t be happier. Shooting offhand with this thing is a dream. The front sight just hovers on target with the inertia of a sack of lead. The length and weight really do a lot to settle down the sight picture.

You best be in shape though! As well balanced as it is, it is still a hefty artillery piece. And it’s so fun to shoot, you’re going to want to run it all day long.

The cheek piece is definitely higher than most would like, but it works for my face. I don’t understand why HW would make this change when they already have the 97 for scopes. Seems shortsighted.

IMG_4237.jpeg

My vote is for the .22
Save the money on pellets and shoot more.

More pellet options, all manufacturers make .22 and the drop isn’t an issue as .22 is more efficient.

If your hunting the .22 makes a bigger hole.

Obviously the money saved on the rifle can go towards ammo and optics.

Get the .22 and a crapload of pellets, and shoot the Finnish off the trigger.

My vote is for the .22
Save the money on pellets and shoot more.

More pellet options, all manufacturers make .22 and the drop isn’t an issue as .22 is more efficient.

If your hunting the .22 makes a bigger hole.

Obviously the money saved on the rifle can go towards ammo and optics.

Get the .22 and a crapload of pellets, and shoot the Finnish off the trigger.
Already on it 😎