• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Deciding Between a 600mm or 700mm FX Impact MKII .25 for Pest Control.

I've decided that I'm going to get a FX Impact MKII but am not sure what size barrel I want to get. I'm going to be doing this mostly from about 50+ yards from a hill, but I would also be walking around the farm. I know the length doesn't really affect the accuracy, but it affects the efficiency. Any suggestions on what I should be getting? Also any suggestions on moderators and scopes?

I don't own one, but have considered buying, and have read up quite a bit.

Where it me, 600mm, 4" shorter is quite a bit, 700mm if it where bench shooting or all open ground but for farm maybe barn or woods 600mm, there is lots of info (on AGN) on what you lose with the 600mm seek this info out before making a decision, however, In my view and for your application I (I) would go with the 600mm.

Also you do not state calibre, .177 to .35 , this may influence the decision.

"moderators" don't get any until you hear the standard fitted one, you may find you don't need one.

"scopes" honestly this is very dependent on your budget, the sky's the limit on high class glass.

Good luck.

Winkzy, you said it yourself.. the bbl length shouldn't have any effect - for the type of use you're intending on doing..
If there are any 'efficiency differences', they'd be so minor that I doubt that you'd even notice.. 
For hunting / pesting / walking-and-stalk styles of shooting, I'll just suggest going with the shortest configured option. 
Especially if you're going to be adding another 6" or so by using a suppressor.. That said, I'd say 600mm barrel.. 

I thought about this really quickly also when it came time to pull the trigger on my Impact MK-II. Mine's in .22 cal. 
Same deal, I went with the 600mm bbl length and figured I'd do the same if/when I get the larger cal conversions. 
The guns offer so many shots per fill anyways, that adding more bbl length just seemed counter productive.. 
And if I had a better choice [personally] I would have opted for a "Compact", but, they weren't out yet, and I'm impatient. 🤣 

Suppressors - I have a few DonnyFL Ronins and an Emperor V3, as well as the 6.26 Extender.. 
They've been in rotation on about 15 different PCP rifles, and they all work Amazingly. 
Love em', and Highly recommend them! As for scopes, there's too many different options.. 
25+ years of shooting and it wasn't until' about 2 years ago that I found out that I liked first-focal-plane better than second.. 
I sold almost every scope I had in SFP, and grabbed a few FFP models made by Discovery: [Discovery Optics VT-T 6-24X50]
They worked Great, were priced right, and I was hoping to get a bunch more.. annnd.. then they disappeared from the market. 
I just threw a Bushnell Nitro 6-24x50 on mine to try it out.. Great scope. Much clearer image-quality. I was tempted to get more.. 
Annnd.. Now those disappeared too. Everyone usually just recommends Hawk, Vortex, and probably now Element..

🙂👍

Sam -

I don't own one, but have considered buying, and have read up quite a bit.

Where it me, 600mm, 4" shorter is quite a bit, 700mm if it where bench shooting or all open ground but for farm maybe barn or woods 600mm, there is lots of info (on AGN) on what you lose with the 600mm seek this info out before making a decision, however, In my view and for your application I (I) would go with the 600mm.

Also you do not state calibre, .177 to .35 , this may influence the decision.

"moderators" don't get any until you hear the standard fitted one, you may find you don't need one.

"scopes" honestly this is very dependent on your budget, the sky's the limit on high class glass.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I’m looking at .25 caliber. As far as scopes go. I’m looking for something about $800 or less. $500 or less is ideal. 

Of the two, 600mm, but to throw a spanner in the works here what about a 500 compact? I say this because I got one recently and to be fair out of the box it came set perfectly for the 25g KING and 110 bar reg with the power plenum and you still get a huge shot count.

I was drawn into the 700mm on everything trap and for really high power and slugs, combined with efficeincy they are great, but to be fair the shorter barrels and pellets are more than enough to achieve the optimum pellet speeds, the difference in the compact model VS the others is simply amazing as far as portability goes!

I had the same tough decision when I bought my first FX Impact. I finally pulled the trigger on a compact Impact PP in .25 which has a 500mm barrel. Wow that thing shoots lights out!!! Coming from only shooting .177 and .22 springers. It is super accurate, easy to maneuver in the woods, and fantastic shot count. 75-80 shots with a 300cc bottle. Did I mention power? It’ just blew my mind. It is perfect for pesting. It is fairly loud so I got a Donnfl Sumo to really quiet the bark. I have it tuned to shoot jsb 25.39 and Hades at ~900fps.

Good luck!

I have both 600mm and 700mm barrels on an MKII. The difference in length is four inches. Both are equipped with a Shogun once swapped over. They both drill ragged holes at 50 yards. The 700mm is a .30 caliber and the 600mm is a .25 caliber. With the eight inch Shogun on the 700mm it's the same length as a Marauder without an LDC. Both are very manageable, to me. If you are just doing general birds and squirrels, the 600mm has plenty of power at 50 yards and more.

IDK how much the length maters, I have the original 600 S/T on mine and have it tuned to shoot the .25 34gr JSBs @ 910fps accurately getting around 70 shots on reg from a 250bar fill.
1592141144_2664319125ee62558243c26.46704930.JPG