Decent Inexpensive High Pressure Compressors

Any suggestions as to an inexpensive reliable high pressure compressor (under $300) - if such an animal exists?

I have seen a few on Amazon between $220 and $275, but don't know what kind of quality they are. I currently have an Air Venturi G9 hand pump which I can deal with OK, but don't want to spend a few house payments on a pump for just one gun (BSA Buccaneer SE). Just looking for compressor options in case the G9 proves too much of a workout in the future.

Thanks

There is a lot of information on the Yong Heng compressors on this site and youtube. I opted recently to get an Omega Trail Charger, but I suspect it may have problems in the future due to the number of parts. So far so good though, with the bonus that you can charge off a battery in the field. Other people recommend the GX CS3 which is less than $500.

I'd recommend you spend some time watching youtube videos. I don't think there is a good option for good, inexpensive, portable, durable, high volume, fast. There are trade offs. 

Once you narrow it down I'd then come back and ask for recommendations. 

What are you going to use it for? If you're only charging up your gun, you'll probably be fine with many of the cheaper compressors. 

I have the GX and it's been running strong filling up SCBA bottles, for almost a year now. That said, when I fill my SCBA tanks, I turn the pump off after every 1:20 cycle, and leave it off for 2:00 (2mins) between on cycles. So it takes a long time. I created a little Arduino app to turn the pump on and off automatically. 

That said, I have heard people having bad luck with the GX. I don't know if they are letting it overheat, or if quality control is low. I never let my GX go over 30c (measured at the top of the compressor head). 

The GX is basically a hand pump, powered by an electric motor. 

You don't give much context. If you're talking about a compressor that will be used at home, not in the field then I'd suggest the Yong Heng. If you decide to get a tank at a future point the YH will accommodate your needs. I've had mine almost 2 years now & it was a big investment for me but I don't ever regret the decision. I have no experience with the other types of smaller or waterless compressors. All I can say is it has worked flawlessly for me & if it broke down today I'd certainly buy another one (if it was unfixable). "Air independence" is the "shiz" if you're a PCP owner. 

Reactions: RedPhoenix
No field work currently; however, that may change in the future since totalitarianism is taking over this country and I may have to survive off of squirrel meat and such. But, if that ever happens, I still have the hand pump which will also keep me in shape when on a squirrel and bird meat diet.

I saw another type of compressor on Amazon that is DC/auto battery powered and runs between $220 and $230, but there are no written reviews on either compared with the Yong Heng. It may be best to stay away from those.

By the way, can any moisture reduction be used with the Yong Heng compressor?

Thanks Again

No moisture filter is available for the G9 hand pump I currently use. The rifle is a BSA Buccaneer SE (which I understand is pretty much the same as a Gamo Coyote).

You can put the filter in-line between the pump and the gun. i.e. it does not go on the pump, it's just another in-line accessory. 

The downside to having a filter on a hand pump is all the time you spend pressurizing the filter, before you start pressurizing the gun. 

"decent Inexpensive high pressure compressor" is by definition an oxymoron. There are always a few lucky buyers of every make and model inexpensive compressor posting that they have had no problems (yet). 4500 psi is very difficult to achieve RELIABLY with any compressor selling at a price point comparable to a low pressure shop compressor. You get what you pay for.

"decent Inexpensive high pressure compressor" is by definition an oxymoron. There are always a few lucky buyers of every make and model inexpensive compressor posting that they have had no problems (yet). 4500 psi is very difficult to achieve RELIABLY with any compressor selling at a price point comparable to a low pressure shop compressor. You get what you pay for.

That said, my impression is people often have significant problems with the flashy expensive compressors, as well. 

Are there any threads here, that give an overview of the maintenance going into a high-end compressor, over a period of 5+ years? 

Reactions: RedPhoenix