• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events December 4 TEXtreme Field Target match announcement

Airgun Friends,

All pre-match feedback suggests excellent enthusiasm and turn-out for the upcoming December 4 TEXtreme Field Target match at Ranchito Robinson. Every Texas regular I’ve communicated with has stated their intention to attend, as well as shooters from PitBull Airguns, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and (possibly) Arizona. Airguns of Arizona has also generously offered to donate to the match. THANK YOU, ROBERT!

Loss of Daylight Saving Time forces a change in our match start time from the usual 2 PM, to a noon Shooters’ Meeting. The shorter days also force a change from our usual two 32-shot matches, to a single 48 shot match. There is simply not enough daylight to shoot two 32 shot matches, even if we started at noon. So instead of taking two shots at each of two targets on all eight lanes, we will take three shots at each target. Given the anticipated attendance and single 48 shot match, there will be placement awards three-deep; rather than just Match Winner. 

On a different but related note, I am in the initial pondering stages of including a year-long, Ranchito Robinson Grand Prix type competition in 2022. I’m a-thinkin’ the Grand Prix would include three divisions- TEXtreme Field Target, Bench-Rest Silhouette, and Combined (yet to be more appropriately named).

Shooters at every 2022 Ranchito Robinson match would accrue points based on their placement in each match. Points would be awarded based on the number of shooters contesting a particular match. For example ONLY, if 15 shooters contest a match, the 1st-placed shooter would receive 15 Grand Prix points for that match, and the fifteenth-placed shooter at that match would receive 1 Grand Prix point. 

All shooters’ accrued points from their best X number of matches determine final results in the Grand Prix competition. For example ONLY, each shooter’s best four matches points total determine their Grand Prix points and placement(s). 

I suspect year-long Grand Prix type competitions may also happen at other Extreme Field Target venues (sooner or later). As the number of EFT venues increase, hopefully at some point we will see a national EFT Grand Prix develop, akin to the AAFTA Grand Prix in regular field target competition. 

On a final note, I believe Paul Bracaglia came up with an excellent fix for the problem of some larger, heavier extreme field target face-plates not returning to proper position when reset, no matter how carefully tuned. In such situations a good paddle hit might not take down the target; rather, simply move the paddle enough to pull the face-plate into correct reset position, whereupon the target functions correctly with the next paddle hit. Paul’s fix involves placing a wooden block with an attached spring in position to apply just enough pressure on the bottom of the face-plate to return it to proper position when reset. Good work Pablo! 

The assist springs have now been installed on three suspected problem targets, and will be installed on all suspects before the December 4 match. 

This is what it looks like-

FT assist spring.1637344700.jpg

I’m really excited about the December TFT match. Also the 2022 RR Grand Prix Series. 

Look forward to seeing Y’all soon. Bring your A-game… and some friends! Drive careful, Y’all!

HAPPY SHOOTING,

Ron & Maggyy

P.S.- I’m attaching the latest TFT rules flier. The latest edit was changing the smallest kill-zone from (erroneous) 1.75”, to (correct) 1”.

Maggyy portrait.1637344747.jpg

download.png
View attachment TEXtreme FT Rules pdf.1637344842.pdf

This is awesome! I hope to join the fun sooner rather than later. I have 2 questions.

This event sounds similar to American Field Target (AFT at EBR) as far a caliber, power, distances, etc.

1. Can you elaborate on this - Maximum fore-end depth allowed is 6”, as measured from the center of the barrel to the bottom of the fore-end.

2. Why aren't these allowed - Adjustable stock components may not be adjusted during a match. No butthooks or add-on thigh rests allowed.

Thanks

-Michael

Hope you join us sometime Michael. I've already rigged the screening process for you... but it took a lot of palm-greasing of low friends in high places! ;-)

I'll elaborate on your questions to the best of my understanding and experience. Understand that EFT is still a relatively new competition, a natural outgrowth of regular field target and growing interest in high-powered PCPs, and consequent exploration of airgun range limits. I often refer to EFT succinctly as possible as "field target on steroids". 

I had dreamed of FT on steroids for some years; in fact hosting a few long-range (to 100 yards) airgun competitions over the last 15 years. Though no airgunning historian, as I understand it EFT was conceived at Extreme Bench-Rest, EFT apparently fathered by Robert Buchanan (of AoA). Also as I understand it, it has been referred to as American (style) Field Target, Long Range Field Target, High Power Field Target, and Extreme Field Target. I'll claim some credit for the term Extreme Field Target prevailing. 

Having hosted monthly long-range airgun bench-rest silhouette competitions for a few years now, when I decided to publicize a Bench-Rest Silhouette Texas State Championship in late 2020, I was more than a little n-N-N-NERVOUS that Robert Buchanan might take offense at my calling the event the TEXtreme Bench-Rest Silhouette Championships. But much to my surprise, Robert and friends not only attended TBR, but donated to the event! Everyone had a great time, and during the awards 'ceremony' Robert stated he hoped I'd do it again in 2021. My reply was, "NOPE; this was a one shot deal due to Covid cancellation of 2020 EBR, RMAC, and the Pyramid Air Cup. However, I will stage a TEXtreme Field Target match in March, 2021." When Robert then offered to donate five (expensive) extreme field targets, I asked, "When you say 'donate', do you mean loan, or give?" When he confirmed give, PelletGage Jerry Cupples offered to donate five more.

Since I already had one target, that meant I had to purchase only five more targets myself to hold the TFT event; little realizing other expenses like 1000 yards of paracord, 16 winders, target bases, wooden pallets, anchoring hardware, GOBS of elbow grease, and buckets of sweat equity! The 2021 TEXtreme Field Target mat\ch was a fun success, and I realized the investments could not be wasted by not hosting regular TFT matches.

Since I consider Robert the father of EFT, I try to stick as closely as reasonable to the way it is practiced In the birthplace of EFT. Thankfully his desire to KEEP IT SIMPLE with as few rules as possible and (also) avoid EFT becoming an equipment race align perfectly with my own competition-shooting approach/philosophies. 

Hence the 6" maximum fore-end depth rule, and disallowing of butt-hooks, add-on thigh rests, and adjustments of adjustable stock components during a match. To paraphrase as I have many times, field target is a hunting-simulation game, and some highly competition-SPECIFIC components, accessories, gadgets and gizmos have little to no realistic place in the hunting field(s).

There are classes in regular field target that accommodate a lot of competition-specific equipment, and until EFT grows enough to accommodate multiple classes without diluting EFT into extinction, in my opinion (and others'), the conservative rules approach not only sticks to the spirit of the game as envisioned by its founder, but gives EFT a chance to gain traction and build momentum by not over-diluting participation (with multiple classes/divisions).

TFT is indeed similar to EFT. However my venue having neighbors' homes within a couple-hundred yards precludes allowing slugs in my matches. Yes, slugs might present more threat to my neighbors; and might is too much. 

Early in my EFT involvement there was debate whether or not bum-bags are, or ought be allowed in EFT. Though I prevailed in that debate, had I not prevailed I would nevertheless allow bum-bags in my TFT matches. Why? Because they've not only always been allowed in field target competitions and played no small role in FT history, but I use a bum bag! Another cardinal rule in field target is Match Directors are allowed to adhere to, or deviate from, national FT rules as each Match Director sees fit (except in AAFTA Grand Prix and championship matches).

There is a lot of second-guessing about FT rules, rules-making, and rules-makers. Having far more, deep, long, and wide experience in all the above than I'd liked to have endured, I can state that everyone lobbies for rules advantaging themself. Much such lobbying centers around confusion about how rules come about; the prevailing belief being this, that, or all rules are arbitrary, ill-conceived, agenda-driven, superfluous, stupid, and/or all the above. While some rules may be (any or all the above), that is not the case with most FT rules. I have witnessed and lived not only the rules-making process, but the reasons for many FT rules. The vast majority of rules came about out of real need or reasons, were carefully considered and crafted by well-qualified individuals chosen by democratic process, often hotly debated, and many rules are actually compromises of polar-extreme positions. 

Example- I often hear dismay about pistol field target rules limiting barrel length to 15" or scope magnification to 12X by individuals feeling the rules too liberal or conservative (for their liking/advantage). Trust me, both those rules were HOTLY DEBATED. I lobbied for a 10" pistol barrel length limit, and no more than 9X magnification. The west coast lobbied for NO barrel length or magnification limits. Matter of fact I was forced to declare a hostile coup over-throwing the PFT Rules Committee Chairman and seize control, in order to rescue some EIGHT MONTHS of rules-making work; lest it all go to waste. Suffice to say I neither apologize for the barrel-length and magnification-limit rules (compromises), nor for the hostile coup that produced the PFT rules. 

Sorry, everyone, for the lengthy explanations. But would you rather I answered, "Because I say so"?

So it's kind of like a combination of EFT, WFT and HFT?

EFT - power, caliber and distance

WFT - bum bags, magnification limit

HFT - buckets, sticks, no other aids

I like the whole "equipment shouldn't decide the winner" thing. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the nuances of TFT.

Please clarify 2 things:

1. Dialing turrets are allowed (like EFT and WFT, but not HFT)?
  2. I'm still not following "Maximum fore-end depth allowed is 6”, as measured from the center of the barrel to the bottom of the fore-end." Can you elaborate or give an example.
    [/LIST=1]

Thanks

-Michael

Since I consider Robert the father of EFT, I try to stick as closely as reasonable to the way it is practiced In the birthplace of EFT. Thankfully his desire to KEEP IT SIMPLE with as few rules as possible and (also) avoid EFT becoming an equipment race align perfectly with my own competition-shooting approach/philosophies. 

Hence the 6" maximum fore-end depth rule, and disallowing of butt-hooks, add-on thigh rests, and adjustments of adjustable stock components during a match. To paraphrase as I have many times, field target is a hunting-simulation game, and some highly competition-SPECIFIC components, accessories, gadgets and gizmos have little to no realistic place in the hunting field(s).

There are classes in regular field target that accommodate a lot of competition-specific equipment, and until EFT grows enough to accommodate multiple classes without diluting EFT into extinction, in my opinion (and others'), the conservative rules approach not only sticks to the spirit of the game as envisioned by its founder, but gives EFT a chance to gain traction and build momentum by not over-diluting participation (with multiple classes/divisions).

TFT is indeed similar to EFT. However my venue having neighbors' homes within a couple-hundred yards precludes allowing slugs in my matches. Yes, slugs might present more threat to my neighbors; and might is too much. 

Early in my EFT involvement there was debate whether or not bum-bags are, or ought be allowed in EFT. Though I prevailed in that debate, had I not prevailed I would nevertheless allow bum-bags in my TFT matches. Why? Because they've not only always been allowed in field target competitions and played no small role in FT history, but I use a bum bag! Another cardinal rule in field target is Match Directors are allowed to adhere to, or deviate from, national FT rules as each Match Director sees fit (except in AAFTA Grand Prix and championship matches).

There is a lot of second-guessing about FT rules, rules-making, and rules-makers. Having far more, deep, long, and wide experience in all the above than I'd liked to have endured, I can state that everyone lobbies for rules advantaging themself. Much such lobbying centers around confusion about how rules come about; the prevailing belief being this, that, or all rules are arbitrary, ill-conceived, agenda-driven, superfluous, stupid, and/or all the above. While some rules may be (any or all the above), that is not the case with most FT rules. I have witnessed and lived not only the rules-making process, but the reasons for many FT rules. The vast majority of rules came about out of real need or reasons, were carefully considered and crafted by well-qualified individuals chosen by democratic process, often hotly debated, and many rules are actually compromises of polar-extreme positions. 

Sorry, everyone, for the lengthy explanations. But would you rather I answered, "Because I say so"?

Beautiful Ron, abso-freaking-lutely beautiful. 

I distinctly remember vehemently arguing all of those points in that 15+ page (or however long that ridiculousness continued) "discussion" about Extreme FT rules on here last year. 

You, my dear sir align COMPLETELY with my thoughts and opinions (as well as Ben's thoughts, at least from what I've gathered when talking to him- Ben = match director of the monthly XFTs here in AZ) on the rules for whatever an individual decides to call this long range high power field target game (a rose by any other name would smell as sweet). 

I like the way this is going, where we have EFT match directors who realize that we already have regular field target with all its classes and rules. I especially like that these EFT match directors are working at keeping THIS from becoming THAT. 

Here are the Extreme Field Target rules as posted on the EBR website:

6EAE5263-CBA7-42DD-ABAA-D068D3A3BA61.1637499587.jpeg

I would like to know for certain if butt hooks are allowed. I’ve already used butt hooks several times at Ron’s EFT matches. I assumed, actually, no, I didn’t just assume, it’s actually been stated that we would be adhering closely to the above rules posted on EBR’s website. Butt hooks have been allowed, in fact no one has said otherwise previously. I even used a butt hook when squaded with Robert Buchanan. They were never disallowed before.

I, for one, would use a butt hook on my hunting rigs as I like that it makes the package more secure against my shoulder and helps to counter the top heaviness “tippy” feel of bullpups which I prefer to use. With that said, the only time I’ve won EFT was using a .30 Bobcat without a butt hook 😁

Please clarify as I have several of my rigs I’d use in EFT that have butt hooks already installed. Taking them off changes a lot; length of pull will be altered and my scope will need to be remounted forward as head and eye position will change. Just a bit irked, if I’m being honest, as this mentioned disallowance of butt hooks has never been mentioned before when participating in or preparing for EFT. If that’s the ruling, so be it but please let’s clear it up as soon as practical!

Seems to me, following the original simple rules that EBR has followed for years is best. I actually feel that EFT will grow more and more. It would benefit everyone to have standardized rules that all throughout the country will follow. Take nothing away, add nothing to. I intend to travel and participate in other EFT events held elsewhere. It would make it very beneficial for all involved to have the rules simple and standard.

ED2F1E80-24FB-44DD-91BD-9585904FF398.1637500739.jpeg
B3A58C1F-0564-49F7-AE87-3D319196B3DA.1637500739.jpeg
43B4AEC1-FBDD-45E3-B074-D4095D872541.1637500740.jpeg

Good questions all. Two big differences between the AZ XFT (which has become a monthly event which started September 2020, and was the first regular periodic “Extreme” FT event in the country aside from the annual EFT at EBR) are two.

1. At EBR version of EFT attached bipods are allowed.

2. ANY position is allowed. Including prone.

I know that the AZ version XFT doesn’t allow either of those. Does the TexTreme newcomer to the EFT allow either? Or Both? I also too am curious about Derricks question above regarding butt hooks? Most certainly used on hunting guns (as as attached bipods and prone position).

Additionally, the XFT AZ version doesn’t use bipods for the “off hand” lane like is done in EBR and Tex (I’d call them standing with bipod and not really off hand). Also as of the last few matches in AZ the off hand lane added an option of two of the four shots can be kneeling. 

Now im curious too about the butthook question, as Im gearing up for December’s match. I really dont have any weight behind my opinion, but what I see is many buttpads are curved so much they are acting like a hook already and some, like the Prophet, really needs one. I think limiting butthooks might also limit rifle choices and allowing them could make it more inviting to new competitors who could benefit from the advantages or just add one to make an owned rifle competitive, like my setup with a Prophet. I hunt with it using a hook, but would not hunt or compete without a hook as it shoulders horribly. I do have a couple of Mrods set up for EFT also so its moot for me and will compete regardless. Like I said, not much weight behind my opinion as Im a greenhorn to EFT. 

Thank you all for the rules-clarification questions. I appreciate them, and you (all). I'll start with Michael's questions.

So it's kind of like a combination of EFT, WFT and HFT?  I'd say not necessarily WFTF; but my TFT rules definitely emulate some EFT and American HFT rules that I feel make sense in HUNTING SIMULATION competitions.

Dialing turrets are allowed (like EFT and WFT, but not HFT)? Correct. Since some hunters use hold-over/under, and other hunters click, so, also, do I allow either aiming technique. And so, also, do I diverge from HFT rules, even though I have always shot 'Hunter' class in field target competition.

I'm still not following "Maximum fore-end depth allowed is 6”, as measured from the center of the barrel to the bottom of the fore-end." Can you elaborate or give an example. In my opinion such COMPETITION-SPECIFIC gadgetry as has little to no practical place in the hunting field(s), and/or any place other than competition, also has no place in HUNTING-SIMULATION competitions. Especially EFT and TFT, that have (from the get-go) embraced and expressed the KISS approach to rules. Examples-

RW FT Rig.1637515713.jpg

Even if the fore-end riser was removed from the rifle above, it would still fail the 6" fore-end depth rule. In my opinion and rules, as it should be.

Butt hook.1637515742.jpg

The KISS approach to EFT and TFT rules purposely avoids the endless can-of-worms debates that plague regular FT competition like defining butt-hooks, how much is too much, and add-on or only factory-installed, by simply not allowing butt-hooks (that in my opinion are completely superfluous on a hunting rifle).

FT insanity.1637515680.png

The image above should give some hint about the can-of-worms debates that plague regular FT competition mentioned above, that are best avoided with the KISS rules approach.

Now to Centercut's question that is not specifically addressed in the TFT rules attached to my original post and multiple emails to the TFT email group.

"ANY position is allowed. Including prone." For years my Match Director approach has been that anything not specifically disallowed in the rules is allowed until which time it is addressed in the rules. That stated, be aware that I have never hesitated to compose a new rule when my super-human powers of foresight proved inadequate to foretell the use of some advantage that I feel either unfair to the majority of shooters, or substantial enough that it renders anyone not adopting that advantage uncompetitive in the game. As an example, I made pistol hangy-tanks illegal AFTER the first time I saw them used in PFT competition by two shooters sharing the same gun, who dominated the field at a State Championship; neither of those shooters being experienced pistol shooters. When I congratulated one, he said, "Man, when you plant that hangy-tank against your leg it's like shooting from a bench-rest!"

Hangy tank LD.1637518401.jpg

I not only lived the prone position FT debate, but contributed to it. In fact, when AAFTA ended that debate by disallowing attached bi-pods, some shooters quit field target. Although that was a shame, by then it had already been demonstrated that folks (like me) who can't shoot from prone position could not be competitive at the highest level of FT against those who can shoot prone. As stated in TFT rules, attached bipods are not allowed.

Centercut is correct that shooting from standing position off a bipod should not be called 'offhand'. I will try to break an old habit by calling it (correctly) 'standing'.

I believe all other questions posed so far are already answered in the TFT rules posted in my original post, and emailed multiple times to my TFT email list. So I'll not answer them again now with more keyboarding. However I will repeat myself on a related point- anyone wanting more details about rules, or the reasoning behind any, are welcome to call me for a conversation. Keyboarding is a very inefficient means of information exchange, especially for questions that invariably lead to others, and/or questions best answered with detailed answers.

Thanks again Y'all.

Ron

254-253-1239 

Having hosted monthly long-range airgun bench-rest silhouette competitions for a few years now, when I decided to publicize a Bench-Rest Silhouette Texas State Championship in late 2020, I was more than a little n-N-N-NERVOUS that Robert Buchanan might take offense at my calling the event the TEXtreme Bench-Rest Silhouette Championships. But much to my surprise, Robert and friends not only attended TBR, but donated to the event! Everyone had a great time, and during the awards 'ceremony' Robert stated he hoped I'd do it again in 2021. My reply was, "NOPE; this was a one shot deal due to Covid cancellation of 2020 EBR, RMAC, and the Pyramid Air Cup. However, I will stage a TEXtreme Field Target match in March, 2021." When Robert then offered to donate five (expensive) extreme field targets, I asked, "When you say 'donate', do you mean loan, or give?" When he confirmed give, PelletGage Jerry Cupples offered to donate five more.

Wow, it’s only been a little over a year since you hosted the TexTreme Benchrest tournament in October 2020? Seems like a long time ago… I remember coming up with a competition to stand in for EBR since it was cancelled due to Covid-19. I remembered that Derrick had told me about your monthly BRS competition and that you had a nice range at your place (Ranchito Robinson) and that you might be interested in hosting when Team Centercut couldn’t find anywhere in CA that would host. We talked on the phone and the rest is history… We had about 16 shooters competing in 100Y BR, 50Y BR, Speed KYL, and your event, Benchrest Sihlouette. It’s a great venue and everyone had an awesome time over three days of competition.

2F732C1D-685D-4958-9690-00C026C9C75F.1637520107.jpeg

Corretamundo, Miguel; you and Derrick were indeed the mid-wives of TEXtreme competitions! They'd have never been conceived without you guys' suggesting/requesting SOME kind of long-range airgun competition for those starved for anything by Covid cancellations of everything. In case I neglected to thank you and everyone else that contributed (because I am that old and senile), thank you!

By the way, is that 'RR Enterprises' trade-marked? 

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff. You don’t shoot bullpups so you probably can’t relate. Ron can throw the new rules in if he wants. I will play the game by the book. Will this book gain more rules? Boy I hope not cause doing so is absurdly ridiculous in my opinion. I grow fond of my rigs and try my best to tailor them to me. They are very expensive as well. Oh yeah, let’s add another rule in here…………bitch please. This mid-wife can only take that ish so much and I’m there! 😚 

Ron thanks for answering my questions. I understand depth now. My brain thinks of that as height.

I think I've got my head wrapped around it now. EFT is very similar to AoA's AFT event. It's like HFT, just more FPE, more magnification, and dialing turrets.

And I gather that adjustable buttstocks may be allowed as long as there isn't a giant hook!

Cheers

-Michael 

Michael,

I would say that your comment "It's like H(unter) FT, just more FPE, more magnification, and dialing turrets" is the best analogy I've heard. There are lots of FT precedents for this new game format to follow, and avoid their mistakes and "rabbit holes" if we are smart. You may not like some of Ron's rules for TFT, but he has the best interest for EFT at heart.

Jeff Cloud

ASC Match Director

AAFTA BOG Member

It would be good to get an organization (similar to AAFTA) for Extreme Field Target so that the (minimal) rules are the same whether we shoot in AZ where it started, TX, OR or anywhere else in the USA. My suggestion would be to start with the EBR and AZ rules since they’ve been doing it for the longest time and have enjoyed much success. We certainly don’t want the rules to grow to AAFTA or WFTF proportions…

A starting point would be Robert Buchanan from AoA (EBR EFT), Ben Spencer (AZ EFT), Ron Robinson (TX EFT) and Wayne Burns (OR EFT). These are the guys I know of that have had one (or more) EFT matches and experience in running them and setting the rules.

If HFT is the best comparison to EFT and we are simulating hunting, I use a sling when I hunt and a lot of folks do. It's also allowed in HFT. And who uses a bum bag to hunt with? I sit on a stump or a stool and use a monopod for hunting. Anyway..............

Jeff, form-factor isn't a priority when I use a PCP for hunting or FT. Might I remind you that a bullpup has won in my hands before. But if the rules are going to filter out bullpup use, that's petty in my opinion!

Derrick, having shot HFT, I’d never claim that it simulates hunting. Far from it, although it is a distant cousin…
Hunters use slings, custom butt pads, attached bipods, shoot prone when making longer shots, use whatever magnification they want, shoot slugs for venues with greater than 100 yard shots, use standing as a last resort (almost never when you can lean against a tree or fence post, or sit with the gun rested on your leg), use whatever power gun they feel is right for the game, are required to shoot quickly and don’t get four or five minutes to set up, etc., etc. So yes, it’s “called” Hunter FT, but not really.

EFT CAN be much more like actual hunting, and that’s what Robert originally intended with EFT at the EBR events. So IMHO, a great starting point is the EBR EFT rules as Derrick posted above. I see not much mention of a “time crunch” at any of the non EBR EFTs. If you’ve shot at EBR you know what I’m talking about. That is totally intentional to put pressure on the shooters to shoot the eight shots in 5 minutes. If 30 seconds per shot plus an extra minute isn’t enough than you need more practice…. ;)

As a reminder, this is what Robert had to say about Extreme American Field Target:

"I came up with the idea for American Field Target ( now Extreme Field Target ) so that the average guy or gal could enjoy competition with their back yard or hunting rig.The rules have been written with that spirit of fellowship, fun, and of course heated competition. It has been an overwhelming success. We did not want to recreate standard sit on your butt ft with gadgets and gimmicks. I am not personally in favor nor do I think they are needed. The rules are to favor the best shooter in his or her rawest form. The bucket and sticks are because I am old 
1f609.svg
 as are a lot of the shooters that attended the matches. Also hunters don’t typically carry a bag to sit on, a harness to shoot in, or a belt attached benchrest. They do sit on rocks and carry sticks in their packs. They do have range finders. They do have lighter scopes and guns. They don’t have all day to get comfortable to take a shot. Please let’s not recreate what we already have with other competitions. It’s ok to miss every now and then."