Debate - I'm going to convince you it's worthless shooting slugs out of a PCP

I have been ask that a few times with my air guns, Are you a Felon ? No I own a lot of PBs 

Just do not have the time to shoot them and I HATE going to a range with PB , It's the bang I hate, I did buy some NSA slugs in 177 to try out in my Vulcan, But there just to dam pretty to shoot, LOL. I do think the next big step will be in the pellet design, Slugs Just not sure.

Mike

I have been ask that a few times with my air guns, Are you a Felon ? No I own a lot of PBs 

Just do not have the time to shoot them and I HATE going to a range with PB , It's the bang I hate, I did buy some NSA slugs in 177 to try out in my Vulcan, But there just to dam pretty to shoot, LOL. I do think the next big step will be in the pellet design, Slugs Just not sure.

Mike

Honestly I'm realizing the same thing. I shoot squirrels and pigeons out to 100+yds and pellets do the job just fine. Now I'm trying slugs out just for fun but that's about it .

Also here in Washington one can own a suppressor but can't use it? Makes no sense but what can you do?

You can't use a moderator on an air rifle in Washington State?

West coast lefties are succeeding in ruining Oregon and Washington, in addition to California. Such a pity as they are such beautiful states!!! I moved from Washington State to Arizona partly for that reason. And now, lefties are well on their way to ruining Arizona, too. This country is well on its way down the toilet.

Government restrictions, couched in the guise of "looking out for our well-being." Disgusts me.

Sorry I wasn't as specific. On airguns there completely legal to have. What I was meaning was on firearms. There legal to own but you can't use them. I know they were trying to change the law but couldn't find if they did.

Dairyboy, when you say you can have them but can’t use them do you mean you can’t use them for just hunting? Or you can’t fire a firearm with them at all?

And for those wondering about the wait times on a tax stamp, it took 7 months from the time my check was cashed until I got my form 4 approval so I could pick up my silencers. 

I have some slugs in trying out in my veteran right now. Why? Because I can afford them and why not give them a try. Are they worth it? Not sure. But I do agree with blackdiesel and a suppressed .22 is hard to beat. 

Nice debate!

OK, if I'm going after anything bigger than a racoon, I'd use a PB because I don't have a Texan in .45. However, I wouldn't use a .22LR for much above a racoon. Even a fox, I'd want a quick, clean kill with good 150 yard plus range. That means more in the lines of a .223 or so. Others are more confident in their hunting skills with a 22LR, but for me, 22LR is more of a plinking round, maybe up to racoons and that's about it. It can do more in skilled hands, but for me, nope!

So, changing the narrative from airguns shooting slugs compared to .22LR, to next move being a .223, the slug fills a niche for me. It's plenty to take rabbits at longer ranges, racoons and such, and if you live in a municipality where discharging a PB gets you a police visit and handcuffs, slugs are definitely a better way to go.

The other thing I don't like about PB's is registration. The silencers are registered, the guns are registered, the laws around the guns are much more restrictive. Why trip into that area of life? In this case, the slugs are more practical from a legal hassle standpoint. Just don't want to deal with the Feds on any level.

As for cost, I already own airguns. While the Impact isn't the best to shoot slugs, it will do it, but I'd probably use the Marauder to shoot slugs right now. It's already here and heavily moderated. My shooting would not be more than 50 or 75 yards. for me to do the same with a .22LR, $400 for the gun, $200 for the tax stamp, not sure how much the silencer costs, probably into the setup for at least $1000 or more. Decent .22LR is running $.08 per shot last I looked, and slugs around $.15 per shot. So, if the difference is $.07 per shot, I can shoot 14,285 slugs before slugs actually cost more than a new .22LR setup.

This is a classic debate in so many ways. I have this conversation whenever I go to the range with my son's. One shoots a 45-70, the other a .50 Beowulf. We punch holes in paper at the range. After one or two, twenty round boxes of ammo, at $30 per box, they are ready to go home, more because their shoulders are in pain. I'm just getting rolling at 100 rounds, and just getting in the groove. I can shoot all day on $18 worth ammunition. Can I convince them to switch to airguns? No way!

Then for cleaning, of course, I just put my guns away, they have another hour of work to do outside in the snow.

Whatever you decide to do, it's right for you! The argument for the practicalities of a PB over slugs are endless, but I'll still be shooting slugs just for grins and giggles.

Slugs for me are a game changer. All of my air rifles shoot them well after proper sizing and matching bullet to twist rate. Only my kral mega ss is a designated pellet shooter and plinker. Pellets for me, are great for short distance urban varmint control, less travel, faster deceleration. However, in testing, I find that the pure lead hp bullet in all calibers has fantastic expansion and the concern for a pass through is less than a 22 rimfire with a much harder bhn. Even in my .22 air rifle, the swagged and bbt open to nearly 1/2 inch expansion. The ability to be very quiet with a good ldc and depinger are a real plus in not alerting all the game in the area, and or getting multiple chances at taking more than one as in the case of hogs or coyotes. So for me, slugs and pellets have both their own benefits and drawbacks. 

Don’t have to convince me I only shoot slugs out of two of my PCP’s, my Texan .357 and my Texan .45 and that’s what I bought them for, I shoot pellets in all my other airguns and they do just fine out to 100 yards and I’m happy with that, no reason to start trying slugs and I don’t even compare my 22LR rifles to PCP’s, never even thought about it.

I also shoot black powder rifles and pistol buts that’s starting to get into the powder burners which I’m a big fan of also but I’ll refrain from talking about those here that’s a different forum.

I just about forgot I did just buy a Bulldog .357 in Realtree camo yesterday during a sale and a Pit Bull Long LDC that I am going to try 127gr slugs in but I also have a bunch of JSB 81.02 pellets that I also plan on shooting thru it.

I do know that everyone of my slug shooting airguns will out shoot a 22 cal PB , well at least 95% of them

and that every slug with a hollow point hits harder and creates more damage than a pellet will on the game thats pursued .

For me airguns fill a niche that PB can not .

You need better firearms then😉 It seems allot of people compare their very expensive PCP rifles to the cheaper firearms for accuracy. I have seen a couple posts about throwing money on the table against guys with firearms and taking it with the air rifle. I guarantee you will lose against my firearms every time at any distance. I do see lots of guys at the range who are just horrible shots but most of the statements of taking money from firearms guys are blanket statements that are just not true if you challenged guys who know how to shoot and have good equipment.

If we are going to compare air rifles against firearms for accuracy lets at least do it in fair terms and use firearms that are on the same level as the air rifle its being compared to.

As far as using slugs in air rifles I dont care what other people prefer but I dont see a need to use slugs in air rifles. I use air rifles in places that I cant safely use a firearm or for shots that dont require more power and distance than I get with my air rifles. I use my air rifles out to 100 yds regularly on animals up to the size of marmots and I would take a raccoon at that distance with my .25 wolverine if the coon was cooperating and I had a good shot opportunity. If I need more distance than that or more power I will grab my 204, 223, 243, 6mm creedmor or another one of my smaller bore rifles. If I needed the power but it wasnt safe for a firearm then I would stalk in closer so the shot is within the needed power from my .25 wolverine using JSB Kings. After all thats why its called hunting right? 

I dont look down on the guys who want to use slugs and each has their reasons for wanting to use them. I dont believe slugs are necessary for air rifles to be used for hunting but if you need that extra help by all means use it. I would rather see a guy busting birds, squirrels, coons or some of the larger animals people shoot with air rifles using slugs than having a bunch of maimed animals. People are going to push the limits of air rifles and of course firearms for punching paper or hunting but for the guys pushing the limits for hunting just make sure you know what you are doing so you dont wound the animals.

Not "worthless" but novelty in 99% of the time.

Drag stabilized in airguns rocks. 

Fired many pounds of slugs in 1999 and used a lot of helium all in .22 & .25 ( some 9mm) but the only reason for me to do so was testing projectiles for a friend.

Airgun range & use I stick to airguns, if I wanted to shoot a slug sub sonic powder makes a lot more since.

Bring back min-sniping

John

To each his own. For me though, I like airguns for their low power. If I had a place to hunt with .22lr like power I would own an Anschutz 1710

As I said earlier, it's not a PB vs airgun debate. It's a debate on the advantages of slugs (in PCP) vs pellets vs a rimfire.

Then I am confused by this statement in your original post

"So if you are going to use slugs to hunt why not use a 22LR rimfire? The ammo cost less than airguns slugs. You can get a decent 22LR for $500, add $200 for a certificate for suppressor, add $400 for a decent suppressor so it's cheaper than a high end PCP and offer much more power. I have two 22LRs with suppressors on them and using CCI Standard subsonic 43 gr ammo at 1070 fps I get over 100 FPE and it's just as quiet if not quieter as a PCP. I get 300 rounds for less than $30 and it's effective to 200 yards easily. If you are using a PCP to hunt long distance, you will be dealing with the same issues as a 22LR and the 22 is better than a PCP for this type of hunting"

I have both and my 22 lr is very accurate. But that said my 177 marauder with slugs is legal within city limits where I live where my 22 lr is not. I hate cleaning my 22 lr guns and suppressors for just a few shots when hunting.

My marauder shoots the aa 10.34 and Crosman domes very well which is cheaper but when hunting with the 177, slugs hit harder and cut through the wind really well where the pellets struggle. Also out to 50 yds they hit in the same spot so no adjusting sights or power. So for what it’s worth I feel my 177 marauder gives me the best of everything in one gun and it’s cheaper than any other setups including 22 lr with a can.

As a side note, Slugs make the 177 come alive when hunting.